Jared Goff - weak spot on the Rams?

BugzBunny101

Jared Goff is the worst QB in the league when he is being pressured. There isn't anything outstanding he does that an average/back up NFL QB can't do.

Rams are a Superbowl contenders and Jared Goff is holding them back, almost every position is stacked on that roster; except for QB. Discuss.

10 minutes ago, BugzBunny101 said:

Jared Goff is the worst QB in the league when he is being pressured. There isn't anything outstanding he does that an average/back up NFL QB can't do.

Rams are a Superbowl contenders and Jared Goff is holding them back, almost every position is stacked on that roster; except for QB. Discuss.

Eh, what's up, doc?

• Like 2

They’ve got other holes on their roster. Nothing major missing. 

And Goff is ok, he’s just not elite. The Rams have no other options at this point. If the team around him is that great, Goff is good enough to win a Super Bowl most years. 

Also, let’s not kid ourselves. Nobody is beating KC until Mahomes dies. 

• Like 1

Goff is the main issue but far from the only issue. They need a three down running back, they need a better OL, they need more speed in their receiving core, and they need a better LB corps. I believe PFF rated their LB corps the worst in the league going into the season. 

They have a tremendous DL and Secondary, and solid WR core overall (need more speed), but the team is very incomplete. I saw someone else say earlier, if the Rams didn’t play the NFC East this year, they are probably a 6-8 team right now, which is probably true. They played all four NFCE teams, before WFT and NYG were semi-decent. The talent level is about a 6-8 or 7-7 team. 

25 minutes ago, QBIso said:

They’ve got other holes on their roster. Nothing major missing. 

And Goff is ok, he’s just not elite. The Rams have no other options at this point. If the team around him is that great, Goff is good enough to win a Super Bowl most years. 

Also, let’s not kid ourselves. Nobody is beating KC until Mahomes dies. 

“Retires” could have been more than sufficient, jeez.

• Like 2

Just now, tyler735 said:

Had the RB open on 4th down to give his team a chance...Decides let's throw the bomb instead

So McVay was right...

He defended himself in the press conf after the game, saying he had good looks and options on those two plays. (Essentially calling out Jared again subtly)...a lot of LA fans have ragged McVay for those calls, and I believed them.

....turns out, they DID have open options. Of course they did. It's McVay. He's knows how to get players open.

The friggin QB needs to friggin notice and deliver. I mean ffs...how can this argument go on any more?

McVay- awesome

Goff - not so much 

• Like 7

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

So McVay was right...

He defended himself in the press conf after the game, saying he had good looks and options on those two plays. (Essentially calling out Jared again subtly)...a lot of LA fans have ragged McVay for those calls, and I believed them.

....turns out, they DID have open options. Of course they did. It's McVay. He's knows how to get players open.

The friggin QB needs to friggin notice and deliver. I mean ffs...how can this argument go on any more?

McVay- awesome

Goff - not so much 

Fans will always throw the coach under the bus to protect the QB. Fans get more attached to QB’s than any position in team sports it seems, even if that QB is not good... I’ll never understand it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Fans will always throw the coach under the bus to protect the QB. Fans get more attached to QB’s than any position in team sports it seems, even if that QB is not good... I’ll never understand it. 

Im apparently learning this.

So many rams fans are very quick to blame McVay but it takes a Dolphins-game for them to finally say Goff might have been bad...

Not that McVay is always free of blame (not saying that), but there is a reason why he, one of the classiest people in the NFL who protects Jared, finally called him out the other week. 

20 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

49ers fans unite!!!

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't think it's mutually exclusive - Jared Goff could hold the Rams back and NOT suck - and I think that's a very fair assessment.

He's got moments where he can perform like a top 10 QB, he's got moments where he looks like a bottom 20 QB. You'd think by now he'd settle into either category - Top 10 or Bottom 20 - but he hasn't, he's arguably the most polarizing QB in the NFL in this respect.

Taking both sides into consideration, this slots him in that 15-20 range probably closer to 15 than 20, but that's something that will hold a talented team back from reaching where they could be.

You'd think a team with Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey and this WR unit should be a perennial contender, someone who consistently is in the final four. But, they're not - simply because Goff holds them back.

Situationally (not stylistically - emphasis on this, you cherry pickers) it's a lot like Matt Schaub in Houston. He had a prime Andre Johnson, a prime Arian Foster, a prime Duane Brown, reliable 2/3 WRs, a smart and savvy coaching staff and a top 5 defense with a young JJ Watt leading the charge. Sure, he put up numbers, but he never pushed the team where it SHOULD go. He had a ceiling, and the team had the same ceiling because of him.

That's what I'm seeing with Goff, five years into it. He'll get you regular season wins, he'll put up big numbers with his vast array of weapons, but... There's always that ceiling he can't break through, which will mean the team can't break through.

Sooner rather than later - I predict we'll see a colossal implosion from Goff, similar to the "season of the Pick Six" from Schaub. People will flock and say "I TOLD YOU SO!" but that's going to ignore the good Goff was able to do.

I'll just share what I said in the other thread.

• Like 4