Jared Goff - weak spot on the Rams?

BugzBunny101

guy was never worth the top of the draft billing he got, never a guy who jumped out at me at Cal. He can’t handle pressure and that’s kind of a big deal in the NFL. 

His one saving grace is he rises to the occasion, see: Chiefs vs Rams 2018. But that Chiefs defense was horrendous.

6 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

They tried to blame him for the Dolphins game - for not having an answer to a zero blitz - like they really think McVay wasn't talking to Goff after every series?? But sure let's blame the guy who is better at his job and making 6 times less than Goff.

There are some legitimate arguments that I've seen some Rams fan come up with. For example it was pointed out that pocket QBs tend to blossom later - and Goff is still relatively young. This is a fair point.

But by and large if any LA fans are quick to blame McVay but reserve judgement on Goff, they know deep down they're not being honest with themself. It must be because it is a dark place not having a franchise QB, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't face facts. McVay is a boss....look at what he does for Jared. Jared has the 4th lowest air yards, but Rams receivers have one of the highest yards per receptions - this can ONLY mean great scheming and WR talent, but in this case it's clearly because of scheme because Goff also throws quickly. one read, open, boom - and here's some YAC to go with it.

McVay is awesome.

3 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

That is a hilariously bad take. Whatever vendetta you have against the Rams, you should just drop it. The NFC East nonsense is way overrated. We played the Bucs and the Bears and beat them - bring on the Lions, Falcons, Vikings and Panthers, who are all NFCE level teams. Would swapping either the Packers or Saints for one of the NFCE teams lead to a loss? Possibly. That would only reduce our record by one game - except it's obviously not that simple. There's a chance are record could be better, worse or the same. We still have a top defense even with those issues, and the OL has been a fringe top 10 unit. Kupp and Woods lead the NFL in YAC, and our run game has been pretty good. You say we need a three down back, but both Akers and Henderson are decent out of the backfield - Goff has been incredibly inaccurate on checkdowns this year which has led to their lack of production in the passing game.

No vendetta at all. Was rooting for them in the SB, among countless other times. Literally zero vendetta. Just calling it how I see it. 

And bringing up the Bears and Bucs is laughable. I picked you to win both of those games while saying Bucs would win a playoff game. And the Bears are not a good team. 

The fact is, the NFC West DID benefit from playing the NFC East this year. And the Rams benefitted more than anyone playing them all early when they were all atrocious. The Rams are really like a 6-8/7-7 football team while the Seahawks are more of an 8-6 team rather than a 10-4 team. 

Both are pretenders. Especially the Rams. 

How good do you think the Rams OL is? Im talking about individually? Im talking about when its straight up you block your guy and no scheming? 

What the Jets game showed me is that the Rams dont have talent wise a top 10 or even a top 15 OL. If McVay doesnt scheme the heck out of a game the Rams OL shows that its top bottom 5 OL. Thats not on Goff. Ive seen too many times free rushers got straight to Goff because one of the OL didnt block. Not to mention all the times where they just get manhandled because again they just arent as talented as the opposition. We pay so much attention to Donald going up against a back up to the back up OL on the other team. Lets face it, Corbett, Blythe, Noteboom, and Edwards would all be backups on teams. If any of them did start it would be not confidently. So when you are starting guys who more than likely would be backups on almost any other team, they have to face Quienn Williams or Hicks and thats the opposing teams great DL versus the Rams back up. Corbett was traded to the Rams for a reason. The Browns OL was terrible last season and they traded him away. If the Browns thought Corbett was any good they wouldve kept him. So when I think about what is the weak spot of the Rams its the OL.

Not to mention the its not a coincidence Goff made the Pro Bowl in 2017 and 2018. They not only had Whitworth who is a Pro Bowl and elite OL but they had Rodger Saffold who was a Pro Bowl caliber player. As a matter of fact he did make the Pro Bowl in 2018. Now neither of the Rams players played in the Pro Bowl due to them going to the Superbowl but its not a coincidence the last two super successful seasons Goff had was when he had not one but two great players on the OL. Right now he has one in Whitworth and right now he is out. So for me I find it odd that if its Brees or Brady or any of the top tier QBs struggling the OL gets blamed but Goff struggles I dont think many people look at the OL. As a matter of fact I remember in 2013 Brees struggled against the Rams. He got sacked 6x turned the ball over twice and the Saints lost. Did he get blamed? Nope. The kicker got cut and the left tackle got benched. When the Saints went 4 of 5 seasons of (7-9) and one year Brees led the NFL in interceptions, did he get blamed for it? Nope. The main issue on offense was the OL. Saints went out traded for Unger, drafted Ramczyk, Armstead, and Peat. Now they have a top 5 OL unit Brees I feel like is playing more efficient, the Saints are able to run the ball alot better and not relying on Brees to throw 650 times like he was doing back in those seasons and the Saints have won at least 11 games since they put together a top 5 OL. We all know it starts up front is what Im saying and it baffles me everyone is giving the Rams OL a pass. Now again when the running game is going and McVay is scheming and obviously with Whitworth on the field the Rams OL looks like a top 15 unit. Some games or plays or drives the running game isnt going to be there. Some games or plays or drives the scheme might not work. Thats when you ask the OL to straight man up and block the opposing defender to give Goff that extra space or second to get rid of the ball. Thats when Noteboom, Corbett, Blythe, Edwards, and Havenstein show that they arent talented enough to do so and as a result Goff gets clobbered or he has to rush because the rush gets to him so fast and then he make a bad throw and we blame him instead of the OL. So I think the weak spot is the OL not Goff and the proof is in 2017 and 2018 when the OL was alot better and Goff was a back to back Pro Bowler and he had a very low td to interception ratio. Go look it up its a fact. In 2017 and 2018 Goff td to int ratio was the lowest or at least amongst the lowest of any QB. 

3 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

How good do you think the Rams OL is? Im talking about individually? Im talking about when its straight up you block your guy and no scheming? 

What the Jets game showed me is that the Rams dont have talent wise a top 10 or even a top 15 OL. If McVay doesnt scheme the heck out of a game the Rams OL shows that its top bottom 5 OL. Thats not on Goff. Ive seen too many times free rushers got straight to Goff because one of the OL didnt block. Not to mention all the times where they just get manhandled because again they just arent as talented as the opposition. We pay so much attention to Donald going up against a back up to the back up OL on the other team. Lets face it, Corbett, Blythe, Noteboom, and Edwards would all be backups on teams. If any of them did start it would be not confidently. So when you are starting guys who more than likely would be backups on almost any other team, they have to face Quienn Williams or Hicks and thats the opposing teams great DL versus the Rams back up. Corbett was traded to the Rams for a reason. The Browns OL was terrible last season and they traded him away. If the Browns thought Corbett was any good they wouldve kept him. So when I think about what is the weak spot of the Rams its the OL.

Not to mention the its not a coincidence Goff made the Pro Bowl in 2017 and 2018. They not only had Whitworth who is a Pro Bowl and elite OL but they had Rodger Saffold who was a Pro Bowl caliber player. As a matter of fact he did make the Pro Bowl in 2018. Now neither of the Rams players played in the Pro Bowl due to them going to the Superbowl but its not a coincidence the last two super successful seasons Goff had was when he had not one but two great players on the OL. Right now he has one in Whitworth and right now he is out. So for me I find it odd that if its Brees or Brady or any of the top tier QBs struggling the OL gets blamed but Goff struggles I dont think many people look at the OL. As a matter of fact I remember in 2013 Brees struggled against the Rams. He got sacked 6x turned the ball over twice and the Saints lost. Did he get blamed? Nope. The kicker got cut and the left tackle got benched. When the Saints went 4 of 5 seasons of (7-9) and one year Brees led the NFL in interceptions, did he get blamed for it? Nope. The main issue on offense was the OL. Saints went out traded for Unger, drafted Ramczyk, Armstead, and Peat. Now they have a top 5 OL unit Brees I feel like is playing more efficient, the Saints are able to run the ball alot better and not relying on Brees to throw 650 times like he was doing back in those seasons and the Saints have won at least 11 games since they put together a top 5 OL. We all know it starts up front is what Im saying and it baffles me everyone is giving the Rams OL a pass. Now again when the running game is going and McVay is scheming and obviously with Whitworth on the field the Rams OL looks like a top 15 unit. Some games or plays or drives the running game isnt going to be there. Some games or plays or drives the scheme might not work. Thats when you ask the OL to straight man up and block the opposing defender to give Goff that extra space or second to get rid of the ball. Thats when Noteboom, Corbett, Blythe, Edwards, and Havenstein show that they arent talented enough to do so and as a result Goff gets clobbered or he has to rush because the rush gets to him so fast and then he make a bad throw and we blame him instead of the OL. So I think the weak spot is the OL not Goff and the proof is in 2017 and 2018 when the OL was alot better and Goff was a back to back Pro Bowler and he had a very low td to interception ratio. Go look it up its a fact. In 2017 and 2018 Goff td to int ratio was the lowest or at least amongst the lowest of any QB. 

Reading stuff like this I just get flashbacks to the diehard Mariota defenders.

It's always everyone else's fault, never -insert name of QB here-.

It took Tannehill coming in and showing, hey, it's not that Arthur Smith is stupid, it's not that the OL sucks, it's not that there's no talent around him...it's the QB that sucked.

I get it, though. You get attached to the guy and want to defend him.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

It took Tannehill coming in and showing, hey, it's not that Arthur Smith is stupid, it's not that the OL sucks, it's not that there's no talent around him...it's the QB that sucked.

Football I’ve come to terms with everyone has an agenda when it comes to players. Because if I say Brady struggles someone is will say he is the GOAT and they blame Arians or the OL not protecting well. When it comes to Goff and he struggles it’s all on him even though my eyes told me Sunday the OL got manhandled in the 1st half and literally took the go ahead td off the board because of a hold. Not to mention countless of other holds, false starts, and block in the back which had nothing to do with Goff. 

We can do this in every sport too. Blame James Harden for the Rockets coming up short. If LeBron comes up short, because many think he is the GOAT blame JR Smith, fire the coach David Blatt etc... etc... 

The only going wrong for Goff is that he didn’t come into the league first impression Mahomes then everyone would be giving him the benefit doubt for possibly a half a decade if not longer. 

Edited by stl4life07

25 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The thing that does it for me is the, "so and so wins games". Alex smith completely ruined that for me (and I'm an alex supporter).  I feel like when people use that as a defense for a qb I'm just sort of out

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Man the extra 'R' in this thread title is causing me to lose sleep 

It bothered me too until I started hearing it in my head in a british accent, as if instead of calling somebody "ol' sport!" or "good sport!", they're actually being kind of a pussbag, so the british dude is pointing out that they are a weak sport.

It's better now.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The reality is that it is everybody's fault, including Goff's. It's a team game. Goff is at fault for his tendency to turn into a turnover prone mess a few times each year. Goff is at fault for being too robotic in the scheme. Goff is at fault for not performing better against pressure. But Goff is a pocket passer who isn't yet at the age when pocket passers enter their prime (27 to 30 years old). Volatility is to be expected. Pocket passers have a weird trend where they are volatile for their first few years in the NFL, and then once they hit that age range, they have a season where they just "get it" and are consistent players until they start their decline. Athletic QBs seem to peak earlier than pocket passers. There are obviously some exceptions to what I'm discussing, but you'd be surprised at how common it is.

Regardless, Goff isn't Mariota. Maybe he's Matt Ryan. Maybe he's Philip Rivers. Maybe he's Peyton Manning. Maybe he's Jay Cutler. I really don't know. We'll have to wait and see. The thing is that if you look for comparisons to Goff's production, his team success, and his offensive success, there aren't (m)any analogs to guys who didn't become franchise QBs. Is Goff the weak spot on the Rams? Well, like any team, we have a few weak spots. QB isn't the weakest spot on our team, but it's not the strongest either. Thing is that Goff tends to be a streaky player at this point in his career. That can work for or against us at this point. If he catches fire at the right time, well, we've seen Playoff Flacco and Playoff Eli.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DannyB said:

It bothered me too until I started hearing it in my head in a british accent, as if instead of calling somebody "ol' sport!" or "good sport!", they're actually being kind of a pussbag, so the british dude is pointing out that they are a weak sport.

It's better now.

I planned this

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing that does it for me is the, "so and so wins games". Alex smith completely ruined that for me (and I'm an alex supporter).  I feel like when people use that as a defense for a qb I'm just sort of out

Winning games is the ultimate the goal, though. Wins are a team stat, but there's something to be said for the guys who put up empty numbers but don't deliver the wins. There's also something to be said for the guys who don't put up huge numbers but do deliver wins.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

There's also something to be said for the guys who don't put up huge numbers but do deliver wins.

Ah yes! who can forget this oft-repeated sentiment from Rams fans back in 2018 when Goff was putting up eye-popping stats? All they could talk about was how the numbers don't really matter at all, as long as the team is winning and everybody is having fun out there together.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Winning games is the ultimate the goal, though. Wins are a team stat, but there's something to be said for the guys who put up empty numbers but don't deliver the wins. There's also something to be said for the guys who don't put up huge numbers but do deliver wins.

I don't think it should ever be one of your main arguments to prop up a qb. Too big of a variable to me and separated by too much time. The wins and losses are locked up in their own little universe and really don't have anything to do with one another. 

I'll take Matt Stafford all day over Jimmy G

• Like 3