Coaching/GM Interview Thread - News & Updates!

RaidersAreOne

https://www.radio.com/sportsradio610/sports/houston-texans/texans-to-interview-houston-native-malik-boyd-for-gm

Texans interviewing Malik Boyd, Buffalo Director of Pro Personnel.

@Trentwannabe, @Kmart128, @Thelonebillsfan, @soflbillsfan - any insight you can provide? I love what Buffalo is doing, so I'm liking this direction.

Boyd played for Minnesota in 1994, and was a scout for the Indianapolis Colts in the early '00s, which ties into Tony Dungy - a member of the Texans ad hoc committee. He was also named the Fritz Pollard scout of the year in his time in Arizona. His GM? Rod Graves, another member of the ad hoc committee.

Gun to my head - this is the next Texans GM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

https://www.radio.com/sportsradio610/sports/houston-texans/texans-to-interview-houston-native-malik-boyd-for-gm

@Trentwannabe, @Kmart128, @Thelonebillsfan, @soflbillsfan - any insight you can provide? I love what Buffalo is doing, so I'm liking this direction.

Boyd played for Minnesota in 1994, and was a scout for the Indianapolis Colts in the early '00s, which ties into Tony Dungy - a member of the Texans ad hoc committee. He was also named the Fritz Pollard scout of the year in his time in Arizona. His GM? Rod Graves, another member of the ad hoc committee.

He and Dan Morgan have done a great job together. I figure both are on Beanes short list for a new assistant GM if Shoen got hired away. 

I think his reputation speaks for itself and he has done a great job finding some gems in free agency. We all know the big names in John Brown, Cole Beasley, Mitch Morse. But then the under the radar guys like Jon Feliciano, Isiah McKenzie, Tyler Matakevich and Quinton Jefferson that he helped bring in is what has been the backbone of the roster. 

I do wonder if this means Daboll is in serious consideration for the Texans HC job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

He and Dan Morgan have done a great job together. I figure both are on Beanes short list for a new assistant GM if Shoen got hired away. 

I think his reputation speaks for itself and he has done a great job finding some gems in free agency. We all know the big names in John Brown, Cole Beasley, Mitch Morse. But then the under the radar guys like Jon Feliciano, Isiah McKenzie, Tyler Matakevich and Quinton Jefferson that he helped bring in is what has been the backbone of the roster. 

The more I think about this hire, the more excited I get. Buffalo has a great core group of guys, but they all seem like blue collar, work hard guys who can build up a strong culture - which is in dire need in Houston.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

I do wonder if this means Daboll is in serious consideration for the Texans HC job.

The GM is making the final call, so I'd say the familiarity puts him in contention if Boyd gets the gig.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Literally you can take anyone of our front office members and be good...  Brandon Beane did a hell of a job putting together a front office. Many people in the front office deserve a GM role and Boyd is one of them. This turn around doesnt happen with just one person it has been a group effort.

And honestly you guys had a great one in Brian Gaine who Bills hired back to their staff. Yoy should have held onto him and fired BOB. But if you guys do end up hiring Boyd then id expect Gaine to take that position.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

I want Boyd.  Looking at the Bills drafts since 2017, he can find talent.  He's a Houston boy too so that's a plus.

I don’t know how much he has to do with the draft. I think that falls more under Lake Dawson and Terrance Gray. 

But he’s done a heck of a job finding quality priced free agents who contribute in a big way and under the radar. 

• Like 1

The shift of the rulebook to offences has really muscled out the DC to head coach path for a lot of guys. There are plenty of DCs who could probably run a team well, but good luck finding a consistent OC.

Guys like Saleh and Wink Martindale would be good for a locker room that needs a dawg but what team will commit to a dusty defensive squad when the rules favour the offence? 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

He's also buds with Gruden so could see him becoming our DC if we don't get Wade.

Didn't know that. I hope to guys get him. I like him gm fine, but I want to give ryans a shot at the dc gig. I have a soft spot for developing your own guys