Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

5 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I understand the logic of drafting for guys who can play early. I just don't think it's that simple. 

I wasn't a huge Watt guy but I stuck up for Cook as much as any GB fan. Though again understood the concerns too.

Can't judge a class after a game. Gotta have patience. Next week two different high picks will play well and we can wonder why we didn't get them too. It's just the nature of things.

I just mentioned Watt and Cook because of how closely tied they were to GB, especially Cook. I remember draft day and the reports from all sources were that GB was "deciding between Cook and King" after moving down. I wonder how close the decision was, whether there was disagreement in the war room, etc. 

2 hours ago, Joe said:

CB was a bigger need than OLB, especially after resigning Perry. We were able to trade down and still get who we wanted.

Also, what happened to the "TJ Watt is too raw" and "TJ's too big of a risk?" He has one great game against THE FRIGGIN' BROWNS and it's all doom and gloom that we passed on him...

Kevin King was a pick of need so they moved down a few notches and still got him. TJ Watt would have been a great pick but was he going ot beat out Mathews or Perry?  Frankly, wait until Vince Biegel is up and running because he is as good or about as good as TJ Watt if you followed his college career at Wis. 

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I just mentioned Watt and Cook because of how closely tied they were to GB, especially Cook. I remember draft day and the reports from all sources were that GB was "deciding between Cook and King" after moving down. I wonder how close the decision was, whether there was disagreement in the war room, etc. 

I never bought into that Cook stuff tbh. But I just saw him take over so many games...I know he didn't test well and he has shady friends or whatever. It all comes into play.

The names aren't necessarily important. I get your logic perfectly. Why not draft guys you think play well early. I don't think anyone is "against" that. It's just easier said than done a lot of times. Especially stuff like getting two big names. It seems like such a great idea but you see it happen and work so rarely. If Cook doesn't play well we could talk about Hunt... Or whatever. There's always gonna be someone better than you took taken after. I think it's a futile exercise to dwell on it every week.

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

I would venture that most drafts look like clunkers if your metric is whether guys are contributing by game 1 of their rookie season. That's especially true for teams that draft late and have stronger rosters to begin with, making playing time harder to come by.

Judging by pick values, I don't think there was any scenario where they could've gotten King+Watt, unless they traded their entire draft & maybe one of next year's picks.

Cook would've taken more than the 3 RB picks. Heck that probably would've taken Biegel & Dupre's pick as well. Just gotta acknowledge the limitations of resources and the fact that other teams are also going to get good players. 

Well, I think you can call it a clunker when you cut two drafted Wr's.  And take 3 RB's who will all fight for a couple of touches a game.  5 picks were spent on offensive skill positions.  I get the whole draft a lot and see who is good, but dang, I'd rather target a playmaker or two and go get them.

I'll give them time, but does anyone see a scenario in which Monty, Williams, Jones and Mays are active at the same time this year, if all are healthy?  Anyone see a scenario in which all 3 RB's are on the roster on opening day of 2019?

Is Yancey getting called up for any spot duty?  Dupree coming back?

5 picks there.  5 picks and we aren't even getting much special teams play out of them.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Well, I think you can call it a clunker when you cut two drafted Wr's.  And take 3 RB's who will all fight for a couple of touches a game.  5 picks were spent on offensive skill positions.  I get the whole draft a lot and see who is good, but dang, I'd rather target a playmaker or two and go get them.

I'll give them time, but does anyone see a scenario in which Monty, Williams, Jones and Mays are active at the same time this year, if all are healthy?  Anyone see a scenario in which all 3 RB's are on the roster on opening day of 2019?

5 picks there.  5 picks and we aren't even getting much special teams play out of them.

You are talking about a late 4th, two late 5th and two late 7th round picks...those five picks would have combined to net a low 3rd/high 4th rounder based on the conventional draft value chart.

Having all of the draft picks active or even on the roster next year is not the point.

1 hour ago, gizmo2012 said:

Kevin King was a pick of need so they moved down a few notches and still got him. TJ Watt would have been a great pick but was he going ot beat out Mathews or Perry?  Frankly, wait until Vince Biegel is up and running because he is as good or about as good as TJ Watt if you followed his college career at Wis. 

yeah....*nods head*

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not when those WR's were late-round picks. Spending a late pick on a guy that you end up cutting still allowed for the situation of you to taking a closer look at him and having the chance to keep him if he happens to pop during training camp/preseason. The thing with lottery tickets is, you can't win if you don't play. Gotta keep taking swings and eventually you'll connect, but that approach doesn't invalidate all the missed swings.

It's not just about this year either. As of now, none of the starting WR's or RB's are under contract for the 2019 season. Obviously, they needed to be on the lookout for possible replacements. 

You can get guys in late rounds that end up being high-end players. The odds are just less on an individual pick basis. But when you compare multiple picks vs. one pick, the overall odds might be similar. In any event the hindsight analysis just seems silly based off 1 game and a few training camp weeks. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

The answer is we don't have to to both questions. Everyone was drafted for their potential and depth behind Monty. Monty was gonna be the starter no matter what this year. Think it's just unfortunate that so many of our top picks are injured. I don't think we should spend picks on WRs unless we are really in need of them, which we weren't. Shoulda went OLB or something, but its in the past cant do anything about it now.

11 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

The answer is we don't have to to both questions. Everyone was drafted for their potential and depth behind Monty. Monty was gonna be the starter no matter what this year. Think it's just unfortunate that so many of our top picks are injured. I don't think we should spend picks on WRs unless we are really in need of them, which we weren't. Shoulda went OLB or something, but its in the past cant do anything about it now.

Like I always say. Trying to fill positions at pick like 200 is a bad way to operate imo.

12 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

If we drafted Watt he still sits/subs in week 1 behind Perry/Clay and likely has a debut more similar to King than to what he did in PITT Sunday.  Then people come on here complaining about how we drafted a back up OLB instead of some rookie who had a good game week 1.

If we were moving on from Perry or Clay yeah draft him, but when you had the 31st ranked Pass D last year, how could you not go CB. Think people wanted to draft him more so because they are scared of the injury history of Clay/Perry. You just can't make everyone happy tho. 

33 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Backups are ok to fill positions there

I just disagree fundamentally. Like I'm not saying you take a kicker or another QB in 5. But I'm taking my highest guys within some sense of reason those rounds. 

Yancey is one thing. I don't think there's any point talking about picking an OLB or what have you in the 7th. We took a talented kid. Lot of people liked that pick all along. Got hurt and missed some time, didn't work out. Yancey is still a packer.

We're in good shape when those are the gripes methinks.

47 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

If we drafted Watt he still sits/subs in week 1 behind Perry/Clay and likely has a debut more similar to King than to what he did in PITT Sunday.  Then people come on here complaining about how we drafted a back up OLB instead of some rookie who had a good game week 1.

Exactly my thought process.

A lot of the watt stuff has an obvious answer though.

39 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I just disagree fundamentally. Like I'm not saying you take a kicker or another QB in 5. But I'm taking my highest guys within some sense of reason those rounds. 

Yancey is one thing. I don't think there's any point talking about picking an OLB or what have you in the 7th. We took a talented kid. Lot of people liked that pick all along. Got hurt and missed some time, didn't work out. Yancey is still a packer.

We're in good shape when those are the gripes methinks.

Yah it's not a big deal really if you lose late round picks

Archived