Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Just that SF did about as good a job vs Seattle (on the road) as we did (at home). And they gave up 23 to Carolina despite utter ineptitude on offense in both games.

So is SF a top 10 D?  

HOU, BUF, CAR, BAL, KC, PHI, MIN, TB, DEN, SEA, ATL, NYG are all head and shoulders better than this squad IMO.

I'd take SF, ARI, TEN, JAX, NE, MIA, SD, LAR above GB at this point too.

ok.

Not sure what your point is. I'm saying it's too early to say some defense this year has no shot at being top 10. Would you say that NE defense was never top 10?  or the Rams? or San Fran? 

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Week 1 defense played like a top 10 defense.

Week 2 defense played like a league average defense.

Too soon to call. I'd guess it finishes around 7 - 13

I guess I don't think that SF is a top 10 defense either.  But they are playing like one because they have played against two offenses which look pretty awful.

GB on the other hand just happened to play one good offense and one awful one.  If I had to guess, I'd say we finish around 17-20, slightly better than last year.

I would say any discussion about the defense has to start with the understanding that Green Bay will never be a truly dominant defense because that's not its focus or aiming point. They train, invest and aim to be the number one offense year in and year out. 

With that you want your defense to play complementary football to your style of offense. They ask the defense to bend, not break and allow the offense to apply pressure on the opposing offense to force it to be predictable and into mistakes because they are pressed to score.

The defense tends to do that more times then not. Might not be pretty but they do. The issue is this past Sunday... and really any Sunday to come when we face an offense minded team... is its going to be the team that comes out firing first and is the most consistent that will likely win because it's going to force errors out of the other offense.

Its tough to ask the defense to pitch a shut out or not even bend against a top 5 offense when that's not its identity or the team's identity.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I guess I don't think that SF is a top 10 defense either.  But they are playing like one because they have played against two offenses which look pretty awful.

GB on the other hand just happened to play one good offense and one awful one.  If I had to guess, I'd say we finish around 17-20, slightly better than last year.

Defense was 14th in 2014, 11th in 2015, 29th in 2016 and 11th so far this year in scoring defense. 17-20 is extremely pessimistic. Our defense is clearly better than that.

4 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I would say any discussion about the defense has to start with the understanding that Green Bay will never be a truly dominant defense because that's not its focus or aiming point. 

Out of curiosity, what sort of defensive ranking do you believe Green Bay is the team's "focus or aiming point?"

Is top 16 (or top 1/2) good enough? Top 20?

I also think it is worth understanding that when the Packers got to the Super Bowl in 2010, the defense was ranked #2 in points allowed. It has not been in the top 10 since then.

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Defense was 14th in 2014, 11th in 2015, 29th in 2016 and 11th so far this year in scoring defense. 17-20 is extremely pessimistic. Our defense is clearly better than that.

Pack was 21st in 2016, making your point that expecting a finish of between 17-20 is unduly pessimistic even more compelling.

8 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Out of curiosity, what sort of defensive ranking do you believe Green Bay is the team's "focus or aiming point?"

Is top 16 (or top 1/2) good enough? Top 20?

I also think it is worth understanding that when the Packers got to the Super Bowl in 2010, the defense was ranked #2 in points allowed. It has not been in the top 10 since then.

Honestly, I think they are looking for a top 13 finish in points given up and a top 5 finish in turnovers created.

All other stats for defense I don't think they truly care about. They can give up 600 yards every game... if the other team only scores 14 points, Green Bay expects to win as they expect to score more then 14 points on offense.

5 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Pack was 21st in 2016, making your point that expecting a finish of between 17-20 is unduly pessimistic even more compelling.

No. They were 29th. Right ahead of Atlanta at 28th in opponent offensive points against. 

Fortunately for us, the comparisons between last year's defense and this year's end at sharing similar uniforms.

Unless, of course, one believes it's not possible to go from 11th to 29th in the span of one season either.

19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

No. They were 29th. Right ahead of Atlanta at 28th in opponent offensive points against. 

Fortunately for us, the comparisons between last year's defense and this year's end at sharing similar uniforms.

Unless, of course, one believes it's not possible to go from 11th to 29th in the span of one season either.

What am I missing regarding the 2016 ranking?

Per the attached and everything else I can find the Pack was 21st in the NFL in points allowed in 2016.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-points-against-per-game/2016/

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

What am I missing regarding the 2016 ranking?

Per the attached and everything else I can find the Pack was 21st in the NFL in points allowed in 2016.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-points-against-per-game/2016/

that likely accounts for all point against. If we are talking defense, we must look only at opponent offensive points against.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-offensive-points-per-game?date=2017-02-06

51 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'd be thrilled if they could stay around 11th. That's close enough to where I see this unit finishing(13th-17th)

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

DVOA:

2011: 25,

2012: 8,

2013: 31,

2014: 16,

2015: 9,

2016: 20

Defense is not clearly anything after 2 weeks.  I haven't seen anything from the D against NFL offenses that is a real reason for overall optimism.  I don't believe this team has less talent than Pittsburgh, but I believe we will finish far below them.  

It's still my opinion that Capers is incapable of coaching and preparing an NFL defense to succeed and that most other DCs would do better in his spot.  

I'd rather be one of those boring schematic teams that runs the same basic coverage but really understands the D, than try to hope Kevin King and Josh Jones can pick up the defense while A-Rod carries them to a road playoff game.

HHCD, Clay Mathews, and experienced vets on this team are losing their gaps, and failing in their responsibilities against the intricate formations of Atlanta.  The team seems unable to run all coverages and fronts vs all offensive schemes and fronts, and also seems to be one of the worst tackling teams at the CB and LB levels year after year.

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Lol. Gives you an idea of where our expectations are at.

Before every interview, Aaron Rodgers takes out his cell phone and sets it to record. He does this so that he can always provide the complete context to any controversy created by a reporter taking his words out of context.

People like you are the reason he has to do that.

Archived