Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

King will take his lumps, that's what rookie DBs do in the NFL. When you don't have Sam Shields 4.2 speed you get burned. He needs to get stronger and he needs reps. With Burnett and HHCD in the backend and a lot of depth, Im not too worried about him, we can help him if he needs it. His coaching is top notch.

Even if King had 4.2 speed, he's still gonna take his lumps.

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I'm expecting him to go through his lumps this year.  Playing corner is hard in general, but it's magnified ten fold as a rookie.

54 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Raw prospect is raw

Yep. Not expecting much from King in yr1. Rollins and Randall gotta be the ones to show that growth or this CB group gonna struggle again.

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I'm expecting him to go through his lumps this year.  Playing corner is hard in general, but it's magnified ten fold as a rookie.

That was my exact thought. It's nothing I didn't expect. I'll be worried if I'm hearing this in 12 months heh.

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That was my exact thought. It's nothing I didn't expect. I'll be worried if I'm hearing this in 12 months heh.

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I do like that we've got some older vets in the secondary. No excuses at safety this year and it sounds like House is really stepping up. For everything Shields had going for him, he was never a lead dog personality. 

I thought the safeties have been playing great last year and before

Kindda comes down to the corners.  If they can be average or a tick above average with House, Rollins, Randall and King, then we should be okay.  But if Randall, Rollins and King don't turn it on, it is going to be a long year...defensively.  

Do we, or the club, know that Josh Jones can't play corner?  Is he too tight in the hips?  I didn't see enough film of him in college to have an opinion...wondering if someone else did.....

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Kindda comes down to the corners.  If they can be average or a tick above average with House, Rollins, Randall and King, then we should be okay.  But if Randall, Rollins and King don't turn it on, it is going to be a long year...defensively.  

Do we, or the club, know that Josh Jones can't play corner?  Is he too tight in the hips?  I didn't see enough film of him in college to have an opinion...wondering if someone else did.....

Not a kid you want at CB. He excels at hitting and has a knack for the ball. That's far more valuable in the middle of the field at S/ILB/Slot. Really think he could be the answer we haven't had to the Woodson role. Not this year, but in a few years. Doesn't have woodson's cover ability though.

1 hour ago, blankman0021 said:

Not a kid you want at CB. He excels at hitting and has a knack for the ball. That's far more valuable in the middle of the field at S/ILB/Slot. Really think he could be the answer we haven't had to the Woodson role. Not this year, but in a few years. Doesn't have woodson's cover ability though.

Few do...

But, if Jones can't get on the field ahead of Burnett and Dix, can he leapfrog Rollins, Randall or King as a corner?  Slot guy maybe?

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

probably already had. Confirmation bias stuff.

Yeah one game is not enough, for sure not a pre-season game. I was telling my Vikes buddy ( I hate the Bears more than the Vikes) who was bumming after his team did not look so good that everybody has a long way to go.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Few do...

But, if Jones can't get on the field ahead of Burnett and Dix, can he leapfrog Rollins, Randall or King as a corner?  Slot guy maybe?

Ugly back pedal for a corner, only decent for a safety. Not real flexible in the hips and you basically have to teach him to play football backing up. Why try it when the man excels going forward?

Archived