Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

8 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Why does the defense get credit for stops when the other team's offense moves the ball 60 yards and punts it down to the 3?  I dunno, they just do.

You wanna talk abt scoring, so we're talking abt scoring.

I can't even begin to imagine the kind of mental gymnastics you had to do to avoid not acknowledging your mistake of counting defensive scores for the offense. 

This is truly some of the most illogical football discussion I've ever witnessed. 

Why the hell would a pick-6 count against the defense? 

10 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yes, this is true except for the first part.  The heavier investment is definitely in the defense.  We currently have two first round picks on offense and five first round picks on offense. 

Huh? Seven first round picks on offense!

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I can't even begin to imagine the kind of mental gymnastics you had to do to avoid not acknowledging your mistake of counting defensive scores for the offense. 

This is truly some of the most illogical football discussion I've ever witnessed. 

Why the hell would a pick-6 count against the defense? 

They don't.  You also aren't grasping that I'm not talking about the points the GREEN BAY PACKERS DEFENSE ALLOW, but rather THE GREEN BAY OFFENSE SCORES in losses or wins.

Green bay doesn't ever win games where THE GREEN BAY PACKERS OFFENSE scores 20 points or fewer.  That was and is, my only point... :)

Sorry to yell, but it's frustrating when you attempt to correct something 4 replies ago, then have to repeatedly re-explain when you are repeatedly mis-interpreted.  And yes, it's very clear none of you are following my logic.  Perhaps I'm not doing the best job explaining my points.

I don't ever recall arguing the point about pick 6es counting against the offense.  I will say that on the whole, looking at seasons and comparing teams to one another,  most teams are affected equally by this phenomenon, so it has almost no value when you compare team to team.  

I don't think you are arguing that the points allowed by the green bay defense is somehow disproportionately affected by pick 6es or turnovers in FG range as compared to other NFL teams.  I'm not even sure where the topic of points against from turnovers even came up.  Me correcting the game scores incog posted?

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

They don't.  You also aren't grasping that I'm not talking about the points the GREEN BAY PACKERS DEFENSE ALLOW, but rather THE GREEN BAY OFFENSE SCORES in losses or wins.

Green bay doesn't ever win games where THE GREEN BAY PACKERS OFFENSE scores 20 points or fewer.  That was and is, my only point... :)

Sorry to yell, but it's frustrating when you attempt to correct something 4 replies ago, then have to repeatedly re-explain when you are repeatedly mis-interpreted.  And yes, it's very clear none of you are following my logic.  Perhaps I'm not doing the best job explaining my points.

I don't ever recall arguing the point about pick 6es counting against the offense.  I will say that on the whole, looking at seasons and comparing teams to one another,  most teams are affected equally by this phenomenon, so it has almost no value when you compare team to team.  

I don't think you are arguing that the points allowed by the green bay defense is somehow disproportionately affected by pick 6es or turnovers in FG range as compared to other NFL teams.  I'm not even sure where the topic of points against from turnovers even came up.  Me correcting the game scores incog posted?

The Green Bay Offense does not score all of the points that the Green Bay Packers do.

Incog's points listed were not game scores. They were listings of how many points the offense only scored, removing points you would attribute to the defense. You did not "correct" anything. Those were all games that the Packers won when the Packers OFFENSE did not score more than 20 points.

For instance This year:

Offense scored 20 points against the Giants and the Packers won. 

I don't know how you consider a drive starting in opposing territory that leads to a TD, but if you give the defense even one of those points, it happened against the Texans as well.

If you take the opposite approach, the Packers only won one game where the opposing team scored more than 28 points. We really didn't win any shootouts either.

ah, ok gotcha now.  When I checked incogs games with that in mind, the numbers didn't seem to add up for the first one, but it was a masthay ST TD.

Anyway, you can count up those for GB, but then you have to count them up for every other team.  So, LIS, unless you think the GB defense is just adding so many more points than other perceived "good defenses" then the numbers are still valid league-wide.

In any event, let me re-prhase... "GB only has 3? 2? games where the TEAM scores 20 or under and wins.  Baltimore has 13"

Baltimore also had 13 fewer wins overall than GB in that same period.

I just don't think it's crazy to point to the architects and people who are in charge of the defense as one of the major flaws with the team.  There are plenty of worse teams like Philadelphia with much better DCs than what we have right now.

On 7/20/2017 at 7:27 AM, CentralFC said:

Saw an interesting tidbit today that caught my eye:

Dom Capers was hired in 2009. #Packers defense since:

- 1st in INTs

- 3rd in sacks

- 4th in comp. %

- 5th in passer rating

- 8th in points

Great topic and can't wait to read all of the (10 pages of) responses on this "new" upgraded site.

I have a question, however, regarding the assertion that the Packers have been "8th in points" since Dom took over as DC back in 2009. 

My review of the Pack’s rankings in terms of points allowed since Dom took over reveal the following:

2016 = 21st

2015 = 12th

2014 = tied for 13th

2013 = tied for 24th

2012 = 11th

2011 = 19th

2010 = 2nd (right behind SB opponent Pittsburgh)

2009 = 7th

I tried without success to find the "tidbit" that ranked the Pack 8th in points since 2009, can you provide a link?

Just now, CentralFC said:

Thanks for picking that out! Right on cue! You'd have to add up the points from all 32 teams from 2009 to 2016, divide by 8, and you'd have your answer. Or at least that's how I'd approach such a vexing mathematical question

Lolololol

Archived