Why Sam is not the problem.... RELAX

bspice

Yea you guys are right about Sam. I was just trying to convince myself that Sam is still our guy just that he needs the right coach etc... Hopefully the Jags can win a game for us so we can draft TLaw. We deserve it. But in the case that we stay at #2 can you guys hype me up about Fields or Wilson? Don’t know much about them yet as I had and still have tunnel vision for TLaw

It's interesting that Joe Douglas before the season started promised the parents of Sam that he would do all in his power to protect Sam.

He signs some FA OL, without making long term commitments to them and draft's perhaps the best OL coming out of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Joe has also picked up Pat Elfline after being cut, which I think was a great move, along with a RB in Ty Johnson who's been a revelation at RB.

So lets move forward with the draft picks that the Jets have acquired Becton, Mims, Davis, Zuniga, Perine, Morgan, Clark, Hall, and Mann.

With the exception of Morgan and Clark who have not played to date. The draft seems to have been a very solid draft. 

Hall is perhaps the steal of the draft and Mann has been great.

Douglas needs to build on what he has had the opportunity to start.

Continue to build through the draft, and because of the cap space shore up the OL to keep his promise to Darnold's parents of protecting their son and his QB.

I'm convinced the Jets have the right QB, unfortunately for the past 3 years he's had to run for his life because of a colander of an offensive line.

The Jets have to move on and draft a game changing TE/WR, not to mention a top rated RB to complement the passing game.

So while it would be marvelous to have Trevor Lawrence, we may not have that luxury going forward.

Should Joe Douglas continue his rebuild in spite of the QB, the rebuild would be very attractive to a FA QB.

Let me just give you a single scenario where the Jets get lightyears better with 2 picks in this years draft, leaving out free agency.

Penei Sewell OT and Kyle Pitts TE

I will not go any deeper into the draft but just adding those two players would change the entire dynamic of the team and for Sam Darnold.

I am convinced Darnold is going to shock the NFL and the Jets were right in drafting him, now give him a Eric Bieniemy as OC or HC and I think your going to see a world of difference in Darnold.

I believe in Darnold and I believe it would be a mistake trading him.

It's a nice, warm and fuzzy story about Darnold's parents but it has no bearing on the real sports world. Darnold does not deserve to be this team's starting quarterback next season. Those other guys you listed from the 2020 draft, they either met or exceeded expectations. Darnold? He has been underachieving since day 1. Building through the draft is a good strategy, but you also need accountability. If you don't perform, get someone who will.

The rest of your post I agree with...draft Sewell and get the most dominant O line possible...for our next quarterback. Someone not named Sam Darnold.

19 hours ago, Big T said:

It's interesting that Joe Douglas before the season started promised the parents of Sam that he would do all in his power to protect Sam.

He signs some FA OL, without making long term commitments to them and draft's perhaps the best OL coming out of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Joe has also picked up Pat Elfline after being cut, which I think was a great move, along with a RB in Ty Johnson who's been a revelation at RB.

So lets move forward with the draft picks that the Jets have acquired Becton, Mims, Davis, Zuniga, Perine, Morgan, Clark, Hall, and Mann.

With the exception of Morgan and Clark who have not played to date. The draft seems to have been a very solid draft. 

Hall is perhaps the steal of the draft and Mann has been great.

Douglas needs to build on what he has had the opportunity to start.

Continue to build through the draft, and because of the cap space shore up the OL to keep his promise to Darnold's parents of protecting their son and his QB.

I'm convinced the Jets have the right QB, unfortunately for the past 3 years he's had to run for his life because of a colander of an offensive line.

The Jets have to move on and draft a game changing TE/WR, not to mention a top rated RB to complement the passing game.

So while it would be marvelous to have Trevor Lawrence, we may not have that luxury going forward.

Should Joe Douglas continue his rebuild in spite of the QB, the rebuild would be very attractive to a FA QB.

Let me just give you a single scenario where the Jets get lightyears better with 2 picks in this years draft, leaving out free agency.

Penei Sewell OT and Kyle Pitts TE

I will not go any deeper into the draft but just adding those two players would change the entire dynamic of the team and for Sam Darnold.

I am convinced Darnold is going to shock the NFL and the Jets were right in drafting him, now give him a Eric Bieniemy as OC or HC and I think your going to see a world of difference in Darnold.

I believe in Darnold and I believe it would be a mistake trading him.

His play says otherwise 

57 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

The problem is Big T we have been moving on since Joe Namath left, and that has been 45years of moving on.even Namath, said yesterday Trever Lawrence is someone special.

No argument from me on either of your statements, but as it stands presently Lawrence will not be a Jet, and should the Jets decide to go in another direction Zac Wilson seems to be the flavor of the day.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

The problem is Big T we have been moving on since Joe Namath left, and that has been 45years of moving on.even Namath, said yesterday Trever Lawrence is someone special.

And the Chiefs were moving on since Len Dawson then they got Patrick Mahomes. Before Mahomes, Todd Blackledge in 1983 was the last QB they drafted that actually started games for them. Next season Mahomes might have the 2nd most regular season wins in Chiefs HISTORY unless he gets a career ending history. 

Edited by Malik

On 12/21/2020 at 7:33 PM, bspice said:

First off let me say after the Jets win I felt demoralized and was in complete shock. I was like everyone and put all my eggs in the Lawrence basket. But guys it’s not the end of the world and I truly believe the Jets will be fine. I still believe in Sam he just got the raw end of the deal with bad coaching and lack of talent around him. 

Besides ownership, coaching is the number 1 problem. Gase is horrible and so is the rest of the coaching staff. Bring in the right guy and it’s going to help out Sam tremendously. Just look at Baker in Cleveland everybody was ready or on the verge of wanting to move on from him but it seems when they got in the right guy it did him good. 

Also the Jets need more offensive talent. It’s hard for a person to have success with little talent. Keep building the O Line and keep bringing in weapons for Sam and he will get better. And guys the kid is only 23 he’s still a puppy who needs the right coach and more weapons. 

I’ll be happy with Lawrence if we can grab him but I still think we have our guy with Sam. Just build around him properly and find the right coach. 

you can't teach good football instincts and smarts.  Darnold is flat out a dummy out there.  Our Ginger's brain is way too slow in processing what's going on , even slower  than Sanchez's mush for brains out there was and that was pitiful.

Darnold sucks.  At best a career backup.  Doesn't have the quick processing skills needed for NFL QB success.  

On 12/24/2020 at 2:03 PM, Jag68Sid87 said:

It's a nice, warm and fuzzy story about Darnold's parents but it has no bearing on the real sports world. Darnold does not deserve to be this team's starting quarterback next season. Those other guys you listed from the 2020 draft, they either met or exceeded expectations. Darnold? He has been underachieving since day 1. Building through the draft is a good strategy, but you also need accountability. If you don't perform, get someone who will.

The rest of your post I agree with...draft Sewell and get the most dominant O line possible...for our next quarterback. Someone not named Sam Darnold.

LOL, nice and fuzzy huh? I would have to agree with you, the Jets need to move on from Darnold, but through no fault of his own. His is a story of numbers, not the ones he's completed or hasn't completed. But do the Jets want to risk a 4th year then commit to a 5th year option?

I don't think so, but to be fair to Darnold, he's had nowhere near the cast other QB's who have come into the league. The OL is a shade better this year than in years past, WR's have been the walking wounded, and the OL has had as many changes as the wind blows.

So I think the Jets as an organization have to move on, because at this juncture of Sam's career, the money involved and the lack of talent. Its best for them all.

On 12/28/2020 at 1:21 PM, Big T said:

LOL, nice and fuzzy huh? I would have to agree with you, the Jets need to move on from Darnold, but through no fault of his own. His is a story of numbers, not the ones he's completed or hasn't completed. But do the Jets want to risk a 4th year then commit to a 5th year option?

I don't think so, but to be fair to Darnold, he's had nowhere near the cast other QB's who have come into the league. The OL is a shade better this year than in years past, WR's have been the walking wounded, and the OL has had as many changes as the wind blows.

So I think the Jets as an organization have to move on, because at this juncture of Sam's career, the money involved and the lack of talent. Its best for them all.

Justin Herbert hasn't exactly been handed a Mercedes-Benz with the Chargers, and yet he is balling out as a rookie. Sure, he has Keenan Allen and Hunter Henry, but his O-line has been ragged at best, his defense is pathetic really and his head coach nearly mirrors ours in terms of quality. 

Darnold is what he is, not just because he was handed a bad deck. As the quarterback, you need to elevate the players around you. Not the other way around. The QB is the playmaker in football. Most teams have a guy who can make the supporting cast better than they are, because that is his job. 

This narrative that Darnold never had a chance is wrong, imo. WE never had a chance with Darnold.

18 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Justin Herbert hasn't exactly been handed a Mercedes-Benz with the Chargers, and yet he is balling out as a rookie. Sure, he has Keenan Allen and Hunter Henry, but his O-line has been ragged at best, his defense is pathetic really and his head coach nearly mirrors ours in terms of quality. 

Darnold is what he is, not just because he was handed a bad deck. As the quarterback, you need to elevate the players around you. Not the other way around. The QB is the playmaker in football. Most teams have a guy who can make the supporting cast better than they are, because that is his job. 

This narrative that Darnold never had a chance is wrong, imo. WE never had a chance with Darnold.

To my point, the just finished win against Cleveland. How good was the QB without WR's, heck the Jets don't have any WR's perhaps with the exception of 1. They have no TE's who are dependable game changers and as far as an offensive line, Darnold hasn't had one in the 3 years since his being drafted. 2020 was the first attempt at building a line to protect him became a focal point of Joe Douglas. The OL really hasn't panned out with the exception of Becton, and until recent the addition of Elfline has improved the line. Mayfield had to deal with what Darnold has had to deal with for 3 years. IMO

3 minutes ago, Big T said:

To my point, the just finished win against Cleveland. How good was the QB without WR's, heck the Jets don't have any WR's perhaps with the exception of 1. They have no TE's who are dependable game changers and as far as an offensive line, Darnold hasn't had one in the 3 years since his being drafted. 2020 was the first attempt at building a line to protect him became a focal point of Joe Douglas. The OL really hasn't panned out with the exception of Becton, and until recent the addition of Elfline has improved the line. Mayfield had to deal with what Darnold has had to deal with for 3 years. IMO

I just feel it is way overblown that Darnold has had such a rough initiation to the NFL. Yes, having Adam Gase has been brutal for his development, but I don't think Gase is the only reason for Darnold's lack of results. And it is not only the lack of supporting cast. Because at the end of the day, it is about results. He just does not have it.