Why Sam is not the problem.... RELAX

2 hours ago, Big T said:

To my point, the just finished win against Cleveland. How good was the QB without WR's, heck the Jets don't have any WR's perhaps with the exception of 1. They have no TE's who are dependable game changers and as far as an offensive line, Darnold hasn't had one in the 3 years since his being drafted. 2020 was the first attempt at building a line to protect him became a focal point of Joe Douglas. The OL really hasn't panned out with the exception of Becton, and until recent the addition of Elfline has improved the line. Mayfield had to deal with what Darnold has had to deal with for 3 years. IMO

If Mayfield is Darnold's ceiling then there's no reason to keep him. Mayfield has a near ideal environment for a QB and he's simply above average. 

The ceiling of Jared Goff, Baker Mayfield, Jimmy Garoppolo, Teddy Bridgewater, etc. isn't something you attach yourself to long term or even short term when you need to build an entire offence just to get them to that level

Edited by Malik

He basically had 2 "good" passing games this season (out of 11), against the Rams and the Raiders:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DarnSa00/gamelog/2020/

And against the raiders he lost two fumbles. No "great" games. Lots of awful ones. It was like his rookie year, except in his rookie year he actually had several great games. He had great games last year too, and had just the one real stinker.

I don't care who your coach is or what the rest of your offense looks like. You're still playing with professional players. You have to do better than that, after three years, to earn a spot back here in 2021.

On 12/25/2020 at 10:48 AM, Malik said:

And the Chiefs were moving on since Len Dawson then they got Patrick Mahomes. Before Mahomes, Todd Blackledge in 1983 was the last QB they drafted that actually started games for them. Next season Mahomes might have the 2nd most regular season wins in Chiefs HISTORY unless he gets a career ending history. 

Man you are so right about the Chiefs,  your comparison Between the Jets and Chiefs is great.

On 12/30/2020 at 12:18 PM, Jag68Sid87 said:

I just feel it is way overblown that Darnold has had such a rough initiation to the NFL. Yes, having Adam Gase has been brutal for his development, but I don't think Gase is the only reason for Darnold's lack of results. And it is not only the lack of supporting cast. Because at the end of the day, it is about results. He just does not have it. 

Jag68, after three years with the Jets, Darnold, looks like the same player that came in the league his first year. There is something missing with Sam I don't know what it is but something is wrong. The big question is what are the Jets going to do with Darnold? We sure are not going to get a Kings, ransom for him if we trade him.  If we do trade him it will be like all the other high first round pick we had under Macc, end up getting a third round pick for him.

I was a supporter of Sam all the way up until the Pats game. That one just threw me away from him. That INT late in the game when you need that TD is just gross. Time to move on and grab a second round pick plus for him and draft Fields or T Law. Then draft a WR to go with the QB with Seattle pick. I think Waddle might be there which would be great for the new QB. 

I was and am a stanch Darnold supporter, and have been. But I have turned and for this reason, Darnold to date has shown flashes and I'm not sure his career will not continue down that road.

When I look at the QB's in the entire NFL and how they impact a game and how they can change a game, Darnold doesn't even come into the equation. 

Even the older, soon to hang up the cleats Qb's are better options at Qb than what Darnold brings to the table.

Even Tannihill who I thought was way over rated, and just a terrible QB is above mediocre and sadly Sam Darnold has been mediocre.

Even Mayfield with all the talent around him is mediocre, granted its early in his career and some players develop years after the draft, he is mediocre at best.

Clevelands loss to the Jets was what the Jets have been dealing with all year and all anyone says is how Darnold has regressed, but Mayfield was playing a game, carrying a team undermanned. 

Colin Cowherd who I really don't care for hit it on the head when he said " This is what Darnold has dealt with his entire career" .

This in no way gives Darnold an excuse for his less than inspiring performances or optimism to think he will be anything more than he is right now.

Only time will tell, I think he can be a good QB.

So Sam is not the problem, Okay, but clearly he is not the solution.

Lets move on take whomever falls to the Jets at 2 be it T.Law, Fields, or Wilson, build around them.

Because the body of work they are coming into the NFL with far surpasses that of Darnold.

19 minutes ago, Big T said:

I was and am a stanch Darnold supporter, and have been. But I have turned and for this reason, Darnold to date has shown flashes and I'm not sure his career will not continue down that road.

When I look at the QB's in the entire NFL and how they impact a game and how they can change a game, Darnold doesn't even come into the equation. 

Even the older, soon to hang up the cleats Qb's are better options at Qb than what Darnold brings to the table.

Even Tannihill who I thought was way over rated, and just a terrible QB is above mediocre and sadly Sam Darnold has been mediocre.

Even Mayfield with all the talent around him is mediocre, granted its early in his career and some players develop years after the draft, he is mediocre at best.

Clevelands loss to the Jets was what the Jets have been dealing with all year and all anyone says is how Darnold has regressed, but Mayfield was playing a game, carrying a team undermanned. 

Colin Cowherd who I really don't care for hit it on the head when he said " This is what Darnold has dealt with his entire career" .

This in no way gives Darnold an excuse for his less than inspiring performances or optimism to think he will be anything more than he is right now.

Only time will tell, I think he can be a good QB.

So Sam is not the problem, Okay, but clearly he is not the solution.

Lets move on take whomever falls to the Jets at 2 be it T.Law, Fields, or Wilson, build around them.

Because the body of work they are coming into the NFL with far surpasses that of Darnold.

I have said this in different topics so don’t want to sound like a broken record but the issue about Sam ‘becoming’ a franchise qb is something we should question from afar. 

We need to trade him this offseason and fingers crossed get a good deal. We will always keep an eye on him and I wish him the best but it’s in everyone’s best interest to part ways this offseason. Should be many teams who would take a stab at him.