How to handle Ben moving forward

Steelers22

I'm attempting to not overreact to tonights terrible loss. However, as this past month has shown, I think it is clear that Ben is on the decline. I'm not ready to say he is completely cooked, but the skillset that made him unique (willingness to take hits, strong arm, movement in the pocket) have clearly diminished. 

With that said, how would you handle Ben's contract next season? I've read several tuned in journalists suggest the most likely outcome is an extension so they can free up cap for next year. This, in my opinion, would be the worst case scenario. Swallow the rough cap hit for next year, lose who we are going to lose, and regroup for the following year. Stop putting resources into an asset that is losing value by the day. That said, I wouldn't cut him either because I can't imagine us finding a better option. When dealing with Ben's contract, how would you handle it?

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

We need to move on from him. If we lose again next week he needs to be benched 

this makes more sense to me. Asking him to take a pay cut also makes some sense but it's still ben and fichner , so it's the same lousy offence, just on sale instead.  He has his time in this league, life goes on. Fichner however, won't get a job anywhere else, he is not OC but perhaps some sucker team will have him as a QB coach.  He is here because ben runs this team, ran Haley out  and cried retirement among other things (calling out players, coaches). Colbert gave ben the keys, now we have the worst run game in the entire nfl and can't beat the bungles - a team we have owned for years

tell colbert he's retired

tell ben he's retired

tell fichner to never be allowed on the property again

hire Riddick since he has already shown to agree with us on this matterB|

trade DJ

trade for Stafford

Keep the defence as much as possible

trade pouncey and maybe DDC for cap reasons. Dotson has already shown to be as good as DDC and Pouncey should be replaced and really isn't that good anyways.  A winning team doesn't have highly overpaid over the hill vets like we have with ben, pouncey  for example.  

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

If he doesn’t retire you got to cut him. Honestly. Just swallow the sword on the cap hit. Can have  a $41mil cap charge for this level of play and don’t extend into a further decline just to avoid the hit. 

exactly.  If there is a sucker out there that will trade for him (and of course fichner) then go for it, a few RD5 picks will suffice, those are good for in season trades like a few that took place this year. 

Colbert and ben made this team so that it will fall apart when they are done, making them look much better than they were. 

Tough question. Tough to answer after an emotional loss or losses, I should say. 

I don't think that Ben was the issue against Baltimore and Washington. However, the past two games have made me reconsider some of the errors that I saw from him in the Washington and Baltimore games (missed open receivers and decision making). This team needs help. I know we are all emotional, but saw how this team was without Ben in 2019.  They were 8-8 with solid defense. They are wasting a great defense even with the injuries. I would argue that the last four games would be different if the offense showed up and did something EARLY. Vent over. Onto answering your questions.

You have to try to restructure or extend Ben. This is a huge risk. Although I have been saying for the past few years to invest in a veteran a la when the Steelers had Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich. However, veteran QB's cost money too, and with a reduced cap and players to sign, not possible to do both. I ride or die with Ben. He won some games and now he has lost some games. The offense has to become more balanced. 

You will have to change some OL's and get some maulers up front. This team cannot consistently run the ball. They ran better against the Bengals, but they Bengals were not worried about the Steelers pounding the ball down their throats either down 17-0 at the half. Get some Big McNasty's up front on the OL and we need a feature RB to rotate with Snell and McFarland. James Connor can't stay healthy and despite all of my love and support of him as a person and player. he cannot be depended upon to man the rushing attack.  Samuels has to go. Matt Feiler is not a OG, but a good RT. They will need a LG. In a radical move, I may let DeCastro walk and then don't re-sign Big Al or Big Matt.  Yeah there are holes, but I think that Dotson at RG and Banner at RT helps the Steelers run the ball. Can Chuks play LT as he seems more finesse than physical? Draft or sign a mauling  LG.  

This team needs to be balanced and eat up some clock. The Steelers had offensive possessions of 60 sec, 56 secs, and 60 secs. That is putting way too much pressure on the defense. It is very uncomplimentary football. 

Out of who would be available, I would be most interested in Carson Weintz. He is a high character guy and looks like he only needs a fresh start. He can run and throw and would be pretty deadly with our defense and a rushing attack to go with the receivers. Unfortunately, another high salary on a reduced cap year. 

Part 1 of the conversation has to be if he is interested in continuing. If he is, it cannot be for the money we have dedicated to him. He needs to be willing to take a cut or a fake extension to alleviate a large portion of that hit. This isn't optional. 

Part 2 needs to be about how it wont be HIS version of the team anymore. We dropped Haley (who, while not a GREAT [Good?] OC, is vastly better than Randy) so that he could have a buddy run the offense the way he wanted. That's over. We need a new OC - whether that's Canada or someone else - and Ben has no final say in the next direction of the offense. It will be the OC's offense and he can come along for the ride, but he will be expected to execute it. Part of this is also understanding that you will no longer be treated to a weekly Wednesday, DNP - Coaches decision. You are a cog in the machine. 

Part 3 is about how we are moving on and while he may be the "starter" it is a performance based gig. If he is here, we are out on a Stafford type, but Minshew could be traded for and a Dalton/Winston type in FA are possibilities as well as potential for a drafted QB. Either way, there WILL be competition for the spot and you WILL be benched....Ben Roethlisberger Benched...if his performance is poor and holding the team back. 

You have that conversation to have the following questions:

Do you want to be part of a team that's going to be moving on philosophically with a possibility of your legacy ending with you being benched in Pittsburgh? If you welcome that challenge and its consequences...let's come to the end of the journey. If not, thanks for the 17 years, we will have a huge Sunday scheduled when the stadium is full late in the season and hang your 7 up. 

trey lance is a guy to keep a eye on. I think he will be available in the mid-1st, so we'll have to trade up for him(ahead of teams like the bears and pats)

I would love to see matt canada take over and have a guy like this run the offense. rollouts, QB options, Playaction, QB under center would be added to this offense and do wonders for the run game

Edited by August4th

56 minutes ago, August4th said:

trey lance is a guy to keep a eye on. I think he will be available in the mid-1st, so we'll have to trade up for him(ahead of teams like the bears and pats)

I would love to see matt canada take over and have a guy like this run the offense. rollouts, QB options, Playaction, QB under center would be added to this offense and do wonders for the run game

He’s gonna be gone early. Panthers and Falcons would definitely take him. 

only hope in the playoffs is ben gets benched if he doesn't get his game back. If it's injury related, let him have a week off going into the playoffs then, and see if he returns better than previously.

Ultimately in the WC game, if trailing at halftime badly due to the offence, Tomlin as the HC has to make the change.  New QB , but at that point there won't be much from the run game most likely as the score won't allow. 

Right now if this team goes to the playoffs, they are 1 and done no matter who they play. 

Over the last 3 weeks the Jets are better than the steelers, just think about that. 

I get he isn't playing well, but come on we aren't benching him. We've seen the limitations of Mason Rudolph, there's zero ceiling with that guy. Let's not lose sight of the fact he was playing fairly well in the early part of the year. I think the fanbase is throwing him to the wolves a bit early.