How to handle Ben moving forward

Interesting name to consider moving forward: Derek Carr.

Significant savings for him on a cut next year for the Raiders and I think Gruden is going to fall in love with a Mariota kinda guy. After a failure of a year in general (though, a pretty good one from Carr), I just wouldn't be surprised to see them move on and find Grudens guy to tie throught the rest of his 80 years as the head coach. 

20 minutes ago, warfelg said:

BTW how much does that restructure hurt right now.  His 2021 dead cap would be $12mil without it.

Yeah, personally I think they just need to deal with his massive cap hit next year and then they can rebuild the following year since they'll have a ton of money opened up.

17 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Interesting name to consider moving forward: Derek Carr.

Significant savings for him on a cut next year for the Raiders and I think Gruden is going to fall in love with a Mariota kinda guy. After a failure of a year in general (though, a pretty good one from Carr), I just wouldn't be surprised to see them move on and find Grudens guy to tie throught the rest of his 80 years as the head coach. 

Carr is fine, but I just don't see any ceiling with him. He kind of is what he is. If you surround him with elite talent, maybe you'll get a playoff win but nothing more. I rather wait a year and draft somebody (I don't think we'll be very good next season)

Edited by Steelers22
6 minutes ago, Steelers22 said:

Carr is fine, but I just don't see any ceiling with him. He kind of is what he is. If you surround him with elite talent, maybe you'll get a playoff win but nothing more. I rather wait a year and draft somebody (I don't think we'll be very good next season)

That's all I really want, though. A vet who can come in, make the right reads, keeps us on scheduled and not turn the football over. Let the defense be the main attraction and play your part to help.

At this point, with the Lions selecting around 10-12, they most likely do not have a post-Stafford plan to have a new GM/Coach make him available. So, if we wanted to maintain and make a run, it would have to be with that second tier type of talent. Id take the high floor, low ceiling with our defense rather than the low floor, high ceiling of a Jamies.

Although, the more I think on it, the more interesting Minshew becomes to me...

3 hours ago, Steelers22 said:

Carr might be fine with a really good run game and OL. We don't have that now, so I doubt he would be fine.  The OL needs a makeover and a new coach, so wait and see for now.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Get a consistent running game.

and OL and QB that will go under centre and FB I-formation.  IOW, ben would have to go since he won't allow or do any of that.  This regime has caught up to them, now we are seeing the results. 

1 hour ago, bionicsuperfreak said:

Ideas might include:

Trade Pouncey saves $8m. 

Draft Creed Humphrey 1st round

Draft Pat Freiermuth early 2nd rd

Trade for AJ Dillon. 

Resign Cam Sutton

Let Dupree and JuJu walk. 

Trade 2nd rd pick for JJ Watt

Sign Trent Williams

Trade for Kirk Cousins

Trade for Richard Sherman expiring contract. 

This is what I would like but are you saying ben and fichner stay?  What about AV?

Williams would be my #1 pick for LT but I doubt there will enough $ here for him to sign. 

No cousins, trade for Stafford instead.  Cousins needs an elite run game so he can be a decent QB, without it he is not going to get it done

Yes to keeping Sutton. 

JJ Watt is interesting to say the least, but I expect half the league to offer him good $ so he will have his share of options. Maybe his brother can help with the signing, but if ben and fichner are still here with this offence, why would anyone sign here since the team won't win other than vs bad teams.

33 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

and OL and QB that will go under centre and FB I-formation.  IOW, ben would have to go since he won't allow or do any of that.  This regime has caught up to them, now we are seeing the results. 

He’s only going away if he wants to. I think it’s a pipe dream that Ben is cut or something. Now, if he retires then yeah, go get a new QB.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He’s only going away if he wants to. I think it’s a pipe dream that Ben is cut or something. Now, if he retires then yeah, go get a new QB.

that's what we are all guessing in a way, what will we be told and then what happened behind the scenes. In reality, if he is injured right now, and that explains the way the scheme is . If so, then ideally he gets healthy and then somehow everything returns including the run game. That is delusional to me, but wait and see. I am more of a believer that fichner is just a bad OC and bens arm is not near what it was. 

The biggest issue though is the OL in the run game. Almost the worst run game in the NFL, 31st right now.  No way this team does anything in the playoffs with that, it just can't work. Snell got some yards vs the bungles, but that game was over with early and they might have been in more pass defences plus they weren't good vs the run anyways. The colts game will be more telling, I will have to see how this goes.  Colts have a good front 7, solid everywhere. 

Edited by 3rivers
  • Like 1