2021 DB Prospects

36 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think Holland can play CB? In the film I’ve seen, his coverage is tight and he looks to have the fluidity for it. I didn’t see his pro day numbers and I’d assume if he could do it, he would have played there. But to me, he looks like he could play corner

Maybe, but I would use him in a nickel role if he’s playing CB. Like, he’s got great instincts, so I don’t know if I want him playing throwing lanes outside of the numbers. He’s really good in short and deep zones. I think you limit what he can do in terms of reading and robbing routes if he’s playing a traditional outside CB position. 

Edited by LinebackerGod
33 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think Holland can play CB? In the film I’ve seen, his coverage is tight and he looks to have the fluidity for it. I didn’t see his pro day numbers and I’d assume if he could do it, he would have played there. But to me, he looks like he could play corner

In front of many NFL scouts, Holland checked in at six-foot-and-a-half, 207 pounds with a 76-and-five-eights wingspan. He ran a 4.46 forty-yard time, 4.14 shuttle, recorded a 35.5-inch vertical, 10-foot, six-inch broad jump, while repping 225 pounds 19 times on the bench press.

31 NFL teams sent representatives to Eugene, Oregon, including Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst, Minnesota Vikings GM Rick Spielman, along with Cincinnati Bengals top talent man Duke Tobin and head coach Zac Taylor. 

https://3downnation.com/2021/04/03/canadian-db-jevon-holland-proves-worth-as-high-end-nfl-draft-pick-at-oregon-pro-day/

Tony Pauline’s Jevon Holland Scouting Report

Positives: Explosive, athletic safety with a well-rounded game. Does an outstanding job with coverage assignments, tracks the pass in the air, and displays a good move to the throw. Follows receivers across the middle of the field, effectively times pass defenses, and possesses good hands for the interception.

Displays terrific ball skills, flips his hips in transition, and gets his head back around to locate the pass in the air. Not a liability covering the slot receiver. Aggressive and battles receivers throughout the route. Fires up the field, breaks down well, and gives effort defending the run and stopping screen passes.

Negatives: Possesses a thin frame and struggles in battles. Will be outmatched by bigger receivers. Inconsistent bursting to the ball.

Analysis: Holland is a good athlete and a developing safety who would’ve benefited from another season on the field in 2020. His ball skills and coverage ability are such that teams may consider him at cornerback or nickel back. Holland comes with a large upside but needs time to develop his game.

Edited by nicfre2011
4 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

Tony Pauline’s Jevon Holland Scouting Report

Positives: Explosive, athletic safety with a well-rounded game. Does an outstanding job with coverage assignments, tracks the pass in the air, and displays a good move to the throw. Follows receivers across the middle of the field, effectively times pass defenses, and possesses good hands for the interception.

Displays terrific ball skills, flips his hips in transition, and gets his head back around to locate the pass in the air. Not a liability covering the slot receiver. Aggressive and battles receivers throughout the route. Fires up the field, breaks down well, and gives effort defending the run and stopping screen passes.

Negatives: Possesses a thin frame and struggles in battles. Will be outmatched by bigger receivers. Inconsistent bursting to the ball.

Analysis: Holland is a good athlete and a developing safety who would’ve benefited from another season on the field in 2020. His ball skills and coverage ability are such that teams may consider him at cornerback or nickel back. Holland comes with a large upside but needs time to develop his game.

I feel like he doesn’t really fly to the football consistently. That’s why I think Moehrig is ahead of him. Holland plays a little bit like a skirt and doesn’t really like mixing it up with RB’s. Slow trigger to the run game. 

11 hours ago, LinebackerGod said:

I feel like he doesn’t really fly to the football consistently. That’s why I think Moehrig is ahead of him. Holland plays a little bit like a skirt and doesn’t really like mixing it up with RB’s. Slow trigger to the run game. 

I think Moehring is higher because his role is more defined.  I think Holland is that nickel corner/utility DB.  I think traditional defenses will value Moehring higher, but teams who want that do-it-all DBs will prefer Holland.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Anybody have any takes on Asante Samuel Jr.? I think the Steelers are looking at him in the first. 

I’m pretty high on him. Plays bigger than he is and has great instincts.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I’m pretty high on him. Plays bigger than he is and has great instincts.

From what I've read he seems to be more comfortable in zone coverage. You think he's got scheme diversity?

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

From what I've read he seems to be more comfortable in zone coverage. You think he's got scheme diversity?

I wouldn’t have him press much but off man he should do well. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

I wouldn’t have him press much but off man he should do well. 

He definitely seems promising. I think he'll be a really good cover guy in the slot early in his career. I think he can be a pretty nice outside guy eventually too. Maybe even a FS. 

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He definitely seems promising. I think he'll be a really good cover guy in the slot early in his career. I think he can be a pretty nice outside guy eventually too. Maybe even a FS. 

I think he can do fine outside. He has the right mentality for it.

• Like 2

Asante Samuel excelled as an outside cornerback. He could do it, but I don’t think he profiles well with traditional X WRs that have speed and size. If he plays outside, you’d want to pair him with a bigger more linear CB. That’s the only reason I don’t like him for the Browns. He wouldn’t complement Ward and Hill. He’s really good though. Pretty much the only redeeming player on that FSU defense. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Anybody have any takes on Asante Samuel Jr.? I think the Steelers are looking at him in the first. 

Aggressive, instinctive, and breaks on the ball like no other, very similar to his dad

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:
35 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Aggressive, instinctive, and breaks on the ball like no other, very similar to his dad

I personally think he's a R1 caliber CB. I've seen a mid to late R2 grade on him, and quite frankly, I don't see why he's not a R1 guy.

JMHO

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I personally think he's a R1 caliber CB. I've seen a mid to late R2 grade on him, and quite frankly, I don't see why he's not a R1 guy.

JMHO

I think some teams knock him down a peg because of his size 

• Like 1