2021 DB Prospects

QBIso

18 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I think some teams knock him down a peg because of his size 

I understand that to an extent, but IMO, he's still got unbelievable instincts and bloodlines. With how valuable CB's are in today's league, I guess I'd take a guy like him all day in the back half of R1. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I understand that to an extent, but IMO, he's still got unbelievable instincts and bloodlines. With how valuable CB's are in today's league, I guess I'd take a guy like him all day in the back half of R1. 

Agreed, at the end of the day, he is fearless, competes at a high level and can flat out play football. There is always room for guys like this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Anybody have any takes on Asante Samuel Jr.? I think the Steelers are looking at him in the first. 

His size (which seems to be the biggest pundit knock on him) is in the ballpark of Joe Haden and Steven Nelson...so it doesn't shock me that the Steelers would be interested in Samuel considering all of his positives. Not a bad pick at all in round 1 for Pittsburgh all things considered.

• Like 1

My take on ASJ is that he is almost assuredly not going to bust. I feel like a lot of DBs bust because they never figure out how to translate their athleticism into the NFL game. Because his dad was an NFL corner, I feel like he will know what it takes to play CB in the league. He may bust because of injury or not caring enough about football, but I feel like he can't bust because he can't transition. If that makes any sense. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

My take on ASJ is that he is almost assuredly not going to bust. I feel like a lot of DBs bust because they never figure out how to translate their athleticism into the NFL game. Because his dad was an NFL corner, I feel like he will know what it takes to play CB in the league. He may bust because of injury or not caring enough about football, but I feel like he can't bust because he can't transition. If that makes any sense. 

I think you have a realistic perspective. I grew up in Erie, PA (as a Chiefs fan) smack dab between CLEV, PIT, and BUF...and ASJ just seems like a PIT fit, IMO.

Edited by nicfre2011
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 11:04 PM, Jeezla said:

How high would Derek Stingley Jr go in this draft if he was able to declare? 

#4 overall.  He would be the best overall player in this class if he was available IMO.  The QBs would get drafted earlier because of the position and how its overvalued in the draft.

Derek Stingley Jr. is a generational CB talent in the same mold as Champ Bailey. 

Anyone else have Greg Newsome II (Northwestern) as the best DB in this draft?  

I personally don't find a lot of the DBs projected to go high to be that great in this class.  Newsome is the only one who stood out as a potentially elite player in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Anyone else have Greg Newsome II (Northwestern) as the best DB in this draft?  

I personally don't find a lot of the DBs projected to go high to be that great in this class.  Newsome is the only one who stood out as a potentially elite player in the NFL. 

Nah, not the best to me. Day 2 guy with the rest of the secondary players in the draft with the one exception being Jaycee Horn. ASJ is a close day 1 guy to me and not a terrible pick at the end for a team that needs the depth.

3 hours ago, VanS said:

#4 overall.  He would be the best overall player in this class if he was available IMO.  The QBs would get drafted earlier because of the position and how its overvalued in the draft.

Derek Stingley Jr. is a generational CB talent in the same mold as Champ Bailey. 

Granted Stingley has only played two years, Champ Bailey in three years but still the comparisons well Stingley had a pretty down season last year.  Did not have a INT, had 10 less passes deflected and just simply was not as good and DeVonta Smith ate his lunch. 

Champ Bailey had 8 INTs, 511 yards kick returning, 978 yards receiving with 5 TDs and 99 yards rushing.

Stingley most likely will never be as productive as Champ was at Georgia offensively so just in terms of that they will never be the same much less Charles Woodson and his success outside of just defensively.  Sure all the talk of him switching to offense at times last year, how did that work out?  Champ was far more skilled in that regard and is a better tackler than Stingley has been.

Sure Stingley could have a great season this up coming year but Elam on Florida arguably had a better season than Stingley did last year.  Will be picked high sure unless he really stinks it up and the league is desperate for corners, but he needs to pick up his level of play big time before he even pretends to be as good as Champ Bailey or Charles Woodson.  PS Bailey and Woodson were part of big time defenses that were absolutely elite in college, LSU has kind of sucked on defense the past two seasons, kind of odd if Stingley is this all world corner that dominates and is so great...

If Stingley was in this draft he would probably go #10 to Dallas.  Doubt teams would take him over Trey Lance, Sewell, Pitts, Chase, Parsons etc.  Still could argue Surtain Jr is a more consistent player and is not bad at all.

Surtain had a 88.6 coverage grade last year

83.4 defensive grade

43.5% completion percentage for opposing QBs

He didn't give up more than 64 yards in a single game over the last two seasons combined.  Not totally sure but didn't Stingley give up more than that to DeVonta Smith this year alone?