2021 DB Prospects

QBIso

2 hours ago, ACO said:

Shaun Wade just declared. Whew. His tape last year was good. This year was rough. I mean really rough. I am surprised he didn't stay.

No way he goes in the top two rounds...right?

If he moves to safety/sticks at nickel I still like him a good bit.

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

They have DJ Reed Jr who is pretty legit as a corner and has played great for them, also have Tre Flowers obviously as well so not sure CB is a huge need.  They could get Keith Taylor who is arguably more impressive than Mukuamu and Myles Jones is a long corner as well.  They have to go with OL, that offensive line sucks and Russell gets hit far too often, they should really draft two offensive lineman in this draft.  

Reed and Flowers are FA after 2021. Only boundary DBs on the roster behind them right now are three futures guys (2020 UDFA Heslop, and two waivers poaches; Linden Stephens & Jayson Stanley). The last time Seattle had a starting CB leave (Sherman) they used a 3rd round pick on Shaq Griffin. Surprisingly, haven't drafted a boundary CB since (Flowers sort of). 

2nd Rounder and 4th Rounder could be a CB/C/G depending on what John + Pete see in the draft this year. 

38 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

No way he goes in the top two rounds...right?

If he moves to safety/sticks at nickel I still like him a good bit.

He went from Day to Day 3 in my eyes. I will imagine a lot of scouts. This years especially in the final three big game he just was not good. 

A lot of people are saying he should move to safety. I am starting to agree.

30 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Reed and Flowers are FA after 2021. Only boundary DBs on the roster behind them right now are three futures guys (2020 UDFA Heslop, and two waivers poaches; Linden Stephens & Jayson Stanley). The last time Seattle had a starting CB leave (Sherman) they used a 3rd round pick on Shaq Griffin. Surprisingly, haven't drafted a boundary CB since (Flowers sort of). 

2nd Rounder and 4th Rounder could be a CB/C/G depending on what John + Pete see in the draft this year. 

I am not saying they do not draft a CB somewhere, but absolute #1 priority should be offensive line no doubt about it at all and to me the 1st round pick should absolute be offensive line.  Sure they could also draft a DT if they let Poona Ford walk in free agency.  It is criminal what they paid him the last three years and the production they got out of him the last two years, but that is what you get when people are stupid and do not draft the guy and he becomes a UDFA.  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I am not saying they do not draft a CB somewhere, but absolute #1 priority should be offensive line no doubt about it at all and to me the 1st round pick should absolute be offensive line.  Sure they could also draft a DT if they let Poona Ford walk in free agency.  It is criminal what they paid him the last three years and the production they got out of him the last two years, but that is what you get when people are stupid and do not draft the guy and he becomes a UDFA.  

Poona's a restricted FA. So he probably wont get going anywhere unless some team offers you a 3RD [which I imagine would be Seattle's tender?]. Even then, Id imagine Seattle would match. With Ford-Reed-Mone-Lattimore they seem kinda set at DT. 5 Tech Rasheem Green spends alot of time lining up inside as well. Probably fill snaps there with a FA vet. 

Seattle doesnt have a 1st or 3rd this year. Hence why they could go G/C with the 2nd, CB with the 4th (or Vice Versa).

Then again, knowing Pete+John, they will draft a LB and S instead. 

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

Poona's a restricted FA. So he probably wont get going anywhere unless some team offers you a 3RD [which I imagine would be Seattle's tender?]. Even then, Id imagine Seattle would match. With Ford-Reed-Mone-Lattimore they seem kinda set at DT. 5 Tech Rasheem Green spends alot of time lining up inside as well. Probably fill snaps there with a FA vet. 

Seattle doesnt have a 1st or 3rd this year. Hence why they could go G/C with the 2nd, CB with the 4th (or Vice Versa).

Then again, knowing Pete+John, they will draft a LB and S instead. 

It’ll be a running back and blocking TE knowing those two

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

How do Holland, Grant, Moehrig, and Cisco compare, given they are the 3 names I consistently see as center fielders/potential fits at free safety.

I would say all these guys have the best range in terms of safeties.  Absolutely would include LeCounte in that, wish he did not get hurt this year.  Sterns is another who can cover a lot of ground, Bolden had a great year but not sure he declared yet.  Jamar Johnson had a great year as well, Breeze was awesome late 2019 and the bowl game but did not play this season.  Elijah Molden I think has great range but is better around the line of scrimmage like in the slot or more as a SS type.  Cisco has range but not sure he has deep range all the time, same can be said for Ford and Hufanga who are more SS types.  Holland can really do both if asked I feel.  

Need to watch more of Moehrig, the range he shows is really impressive at times.  Sterns I had high expectations for and not sure he always lived up to them and did seem to get hurt a lot.

Jevon Holland Oregon JR
Trevon Moehrig TCU JR
Richard LeCounte III Georgia
Caden Sterns Texas JR
Bubba Bolden Miami FL RS JR
Jamar Johnson Indiana JR
Brady Breeze Oregon RS
Richie Grant UCF

Will be interesting if Bolden, Pola-Mao and Foster declare.  If they do it will make a deep safety class even deeper.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I would say all these guys have the best range in terms of safeties.  Absolutely would include LeCounte in that, wish he did not get hurt this year.  Sterns is another who can cover a lot of ground, Bolden had a great year but not sure he declared yet.  Jamar Johnson had a great year as well, Breeze was awesome late 2019 and the bowl game but did not play this season.  Elijah Molden I think has great range but is better around the line of scrimmage like in the slot or more as a SS type.  Cisco has range but not sure he has deep range all the time, same can be said for Ford and Hufanga who are more SS types.  Holland can really do both if asked I feel.  

Need to watch more of Moehrig, the range he shows is really impressive at times.  Sterns I had high expectations for and not sure he always lived up to them and did seem to get hurt a lot.

Jevon Holland Oregon JR
Trevon Moehrig TCU JR
Richard LeCounte III Georgia
Caden Sterns Texas JR
Bubba Bolden Miami FL RS JR
Jamar Johnson Indiana JR
Brady Breeze Oregon RS
Richie Grant UCF

Will be interesting if Bolden, Pola-Mao and Foster declare.  If they do it will make a deep safety class even deeper.  

I think Moehrig goes in the first and I wouldn’t be surprised if we take him. The league is obsessed with rangy free safeties and that’s the impression I got watching him.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:37 AM, ScoDucks823 said:

Wade jogging on that touchdown play in the national championship will take him (rightfully so, it was bush league) off of a ton of team's boards. if you can't be going full tilt every play in the natty, that tells me you think you've already made it. hate that kinda attitude

Wade is/was already a Day 2 pick to begin with.  Not sure a bad effort play in the Championship is going to take a player off the board.

For those who are looking at the whole picture regarding Wade, if you pay attention to how he played previous to this season, his upside was as high as the sky with Jeff Hafley, although Coombs recruited him to OSU there is a clear disconnect between him and the whole DB room, literally every DB who played previous to this season had their worst year. Some will look at a play or a few plays and disregard him which is fine and others will look beneath the surface and could find themselves with a really good player moving forward. 

My personal stance is that if you can play at a high level once, you can do it again, its kind of hard to look at his 2019 film and not wonder what happened to him, he didn't just forget how to play football. I think the most important aspect of his draft process will be his interview, if you see him drafted higher than you think he should go, it may be because the prospective team thinks he can be the 2019 version and better, and if he falls, well.....

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 12:12 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

For those who are looking at the whole picture regarding Wade, if you pay attention to how he played previous to this season, his upside was as high as the sky with Jeff Hafley, although Coombs recruited him to OSU there is a clear disconnect between him and the whole DB room, literally every DB who played previous to this season had their worst year. Some will look at a play or a few plays and disregard him which is fine and others will look beneath the surface and could find themselves with a really good player moving forward. 

My personal stance is that if you can play at a high level once, you can do it again, its kind of hard to look at his 2019 film and not wonder what happened to him, he didn't just forget how to play football. I think the most important aspect of his draft process will be his interview, if you see him drafted higher than you think he should go, it may be because the prospective team thinks he can be the 2019 version and better, and if he falls, well.....

Absolutely the talent is there, but my point with isolating that national championship touchdown was to really illustrate the bigger problem that i think could explain this year as a whole - on that play, he couldn't have cared less and got burned. coming into this year, he. felt he was a first round pick and could just show up and make that happen. to me, that raises a huge red flag character wise (much more so than someone getting popped for weed). Is that correctable? 100% - guys mature at different rates both physically and socially. However, you're really drafting someone for their rookie contract and anything after that is a bonus. i'd be worried about him performing to last year's level throughout his rookie contract