2021 DB Prospects

QBIso

On 1/18/2021 at 8:59 PM, Jeezla said:

Greg Newsome II, how good is he?

Damn good, is probably a 3rd or 4th round pick but kid can play and will be a great mid round value.  Confident competitor with good man coverage ability.  

On 1/20/2021 at 2:12 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

For those who are looking at the whole picture regarding Wade, if you pay attention to how he played previous to this season, his upside was as high as the sky with Jeff Hafley, although Coombs recruited him to OSU there is a clear disconnect between him and the whole DB room, literally every DB who played previous to this season had their worst year. Some will look at a play or a few plays and disregard him which is fine and others will look beneath the surface and could find themselves with a really good player moving forward. 

My personal stance is that if you can play at a high level once, you can do it again, its kind of hard to look at his 2019 film and not wonder what happened to him, he didn't just forget how to play football. I think the most important aspect of his draft process will be his interview, if you see him drafted higher than you think he should go, it may be because the prospective team thinks he can be the 2019 version and better, and if he falls, well.....

If Wade did not play well because he disliked the coach for the DBs in some way, that is just kind of sad.  Sure it matters but an experienced player like him should not depend that much to become motivated and work based on who his coach is.  DeVonta kicked his *** though obviously and killed that entire secondary which is not a huge surprise.  Wade is probably better in the slot anyway, can impact the game more and seemed much more comfortable there than on the outside.  Then again maybe it is because he was not protected by an amazing DL and an all time great in Chase Young, playing DB is a lot harder without that dude around wrecking everything.  Still Wade one of the better corners in the draft on paper but yeah did disappoint this year and will absolutely not be the #1 CB taken when coming into the season most assumed he would be.  Farley sat out so hard to put him ahead of Wade unless he times out great, Bynum is good but again depends on how he times out and Graham sat out as well so hard to put him ahead as well.  Asante Samuel Jr had a solid year overall, he could maybe sneak ahead of Wade but even that is a little bit of a question.  The Jaycee Horn talk of him as a high 1st rounder not sure I buy that but who knows after his workouts, he fights hard but also got beat a ton of SC over the years but that D was not all that great around him.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Damn good, is probably a 3rd or 4th round pick but kid can play and will be a great mid round value.  Confident competitor with good man coverage ability.  

If Wade did not play well because he disliked the coach for the DBs in some way, that is just kind of sad.  Sure it matters but an experienced player like him should not depend that much to become motivated and work based on who his coach is.  DeVonta kicked his *** though obviously and killed that entire secondary which is not a huge surprise.  Wade is probably better in the slot anyway, can impact the game more and seemed much more comfortable there than on the outside.  Then again maybe it is because he was not protected by an amazing DL and an all time great in Chase Young, playing DB is a lot harder without that dude around wrecking everything.  Still Wade one of the better corners in the draft on paper but yeah did disappoint this year and will absolutely not be the #1 CB taken when coming into the season most assumed he would be.  Farley sat out so hard to put him ahead of Wade unless he times out great, Bynum is good but again depends on how he times out and Graham sat out as well so hard to put him ahead as well.  Asante Samuel Jr had a solid year overall, he could maybe sneak ahead of Wade but even that is a little bit of a question.  The Jaycee Horn talk of him as a high 1st rounder not sure I buy that but who knows after his workouts, he fights hard but also got beat a ton of SC over the years but that D was not all that great around him.  

Is Jaylon Johnson last year a decent comp for Newsome II?

I am a Syracuse fan  and I see Ifeatu Melifonwu starting to rise up peoples board, always saw him as a long physical specimen, with decent but nothing to write home about ball skills, I honestly thought he was going to have to move to safety, what are your guys thoughts on him, I am also curious as to what yo guys think of Trill Williams, to me I think he is going to be a decent inside corner

On 1/23/2021 at 1:24 PM, Ozzy said:

Definitely not excusing the things he did this year, that's on him, but I can definitely see him going to like the Patriots in the second at a discount price and becoming a stud.

This talk that the class is weak, sure it does not have many top end talents true, but a ton of these guys could be long term starters in the NFL and you could get great value in the middle to late rounds.  And the depth is crazy, guy like Lenoir, Joseph, Daniel, Mukuamu and Thompson could be very good players in the league and could be found much later in the draft and clearly not as a 1st or 2nd round pick.  Mukuamu has a ton of upside and talent, so does Adebo.  Graham could be a steal if he returns to what he was as a JR, Stokes is a great slot CB possibly, Campbell can ball and at times flashed 1st round talent, Molden can play safety or be a great slot corner.  Newsome is very good but most ignore him for whatever reason, Horn is solid, Bynum is talented, Samuel has shown some things this year and so did Taylor especially in the senior bowl.  Heck guys like Myles Jones or Melifonwu could do great in the right system.  Even Marco Wilson has a ton of upside and ability, same with Ambry Thomas who was great before he sat out this season.  Sure Wade kind of disappointed this year but still has a lot of ability as a slot corner and Surtain is more than just solid and is clearly the best one.  Farley sat out the season but he can play as well.  Even McPhearson had a great year and shows promise and Norwood is a decent player also.  St-Juste impressed in the senior bowl with his size, Bootle had flashes this year and so did Wildgoose.

Patrick Surtain Jr. Alabama JR
Shaun Wade Ohio State RS JR
Caleb Farley Virginia Tech RS JR
Keith Taylor Washington
Asante Samuel Jr Florida State JR
Camryn Bynum Cal RS
Greg Newsome II Northwestern JR
Jaycee Horn South Carolina JR
Elijah Molden Washington
Tyson Campbell Georgia JR
Eric Stokes Georgia RS JR
Thomas Graham Jr Oregon
Paulson Adebo Stanford RS JR
Israel Mukuamu South Carolina JR
Bryce Thompson Tennessee JR
DJ Daniel Georgia
Kelvin Joseph Kentucky RS SOPH
Deommodore Lenoir Oregon
Marco Wilson Florida RS JR
Tre Norwood Oklahoma JR
Myles Jones Texas A&M
Ifeatu Melifonwu Syracuse JR
Ambry Thomas Michigan
Zech McPhearson Texas Tech RS
Benjamin St-Juste Minnesota RS JR
Dicaprio Bootle Nebraska RS
Rachad Wildgoose Wisconsin JR
Trill Williams Syracuse JR
Christian Tutt Auburn JR
Nick McCloud Notre Dame RS
Nate Hobbs Illinois
Shakur Brown Michigan State JR
Olaiijah Griffin USC JR
Mark Gilbert Duke RS

There are just a lot of guys that have good potential and there is a ton of guys to pick from.  No question there will be some guys in the 5th, 6th and 7th round who normally are not there.  

The senior bowl games guys like Darren Hall, Bryan Mills just got killed out there, not a huge Tre Brown fan either or Rochell I think.  And not sure all the love around Aaron Robinson who some have as a 1st rounder.  I was never super impressed with him and Mark Webb in the senior bowl?  Why just as a body because clearly the dudes on Georgia was DJ Daniel and more importantly Campbell and Stokes not Mark Webb who did not play a ton for a reason.  

Most of the promising guys are juniors or RS SOPH guys, a few RS JRs though who technically are seniors I guess.  Going to have to watch the one on one stuff a little more though

Edited by Ozzy