2021 DB Prospects

@Jeezla Tay Gowan (UCF) is a guy I was interested in as well. Michael Renner (PFF) had him listed as the 6th best CB prospect, which would translate into a pick somewhere in round 2.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-cornerback-rankings

6'2", 185, and can match speeds with the fastest receivers. I guess the very limited tape on him hurts his stock, especially in a year with no combine.......but he might be a steal.  

I also liked that he can play press coverage, and on that note, does anyone have an opinion on who is the best press corner once you get past the top three prospects (Farley, Surtain II, Horn) ?

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

@Jeezla Tay Gowan (UCF) is a guy I was interested in as well. Michael Renner (PFF) had him listed as the 6th best CB prospect, which would translate into a pick somewhere in round 2.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-cornerback-rankings

6'2", 185, and can match speeds with the fastest receivers. I guess the very limited tape on him hurts his stock, especially in a year with no combine.......but he might be a steal.  

I also liked that he can play press coverage, and on that note, does anyone have an opinion on who is the best press corner once you get past the top three prospects (Farley, Surtain II, Horn) ?

I would say Greg Newsome II is the best press corner outside of those top three.  Mind you most of Jaycee Horn's entire career highlights for the year are all basically against Auburn this past season.  Looks like a complete 1st round pick in that game and dominated, but other games he did not play to that same level and disappointed somewhat.  

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I would say Greg Newsome II is the best press corner outside of those top three.  Mind you most of Jaycee Horn's entire career highlights for the year are all basically against Auburn this past season.  Looks like a complete 1st round pick in that game and dominated, but other games he did not play to that same level and disappointed somewhat.  

Has Newsome been asked to play press coverage a lot? I was under the impression that he played mainly off zone. His frame and overall skill set would lead one to believe he could play press, but I’m 90% sure Northwestern plays vanilla zone. 

9 hours ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

Has Newsome been asked to play press coverage a lot? I was under the impression that he played mainly off zone. His frame and overall skill set would lead one to believe he could play press, but I’m 90% sure Northwestern plays vanilla zone. 

Not a ton and sure he is asked to sit back a little.  Still with how well he breaks on the football when it arrives, his anticipation and when he has been asked to get up there and lock on and does it very well I believe.  A lot of teams cannot play press man like they used to because you cannot really strike the WR like you used to be able to and if your back is turned to the play in the offenses of today the QB can run right behind you and you have no clue and just gave up 10-20 yards.  So most teams have to play the corners a little off, especially with the quick screen and sweep game.  What is important is closing speed, anticipation and ability to mirror receivers and Newsome can do that and make a play on the football when it arrives or tackle well when need be.  

He can play with his back to the QB and still be aware of what is going on and be quick enough to still make plays on the football, is a confident smart football player who could do well in the league I feel.  

So Eric Stokes ran a 4.28 40 at the HOA Combine. It was timed by the people who time the NFL Combine, so it shouldn't be wildly inaccurate. Crazy.

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

So Eric Stokes ran a 4.28 40 at the HOA Combine. It was timed by the people who time the NFL Combine, so it shouldn't be wildly inaccurate. Crazy.

I was hearing 4.24, 4.25 now 4.28

15 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He is my favorite CB on tape behind maybe Newsome. I still like the physical upside of Farley and Surtain more, but Stokes has great tape. My only question with him was athleticism. He didn’t play like a 4.2 guy. That’s a really nice # to see tho, considering many thought he was a 4.55+ guy. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

He is my favorite CB on tape behind maybe Newsome. I still like the physical upside of Farley and Surtain more, but Stokes has great tape. My only question with him was athleticism. He didn’t play like a 4.2 guy. That’s a really nice # to see tho, considering many thought he was a 4.55+ guy. 

As a Georgia fan I can say he certainly didn’t. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Welcome to Vegas.

1 Caleb Farley

2 Patrick Surtain II
3 Greg Newsome II
4 Jaycee Horn

5 Kelvin Joseph
6 Stokes/Campbell (Not sure which I like more)
8 Tay Gowan
9 Elijah Molden (If he was 5'11+, he'd be #6)

10 Asante Samuel Jr. 
11 Aaron Robinson
12 Benji St. Juste
13 Olaijah Griffin
14 Keith Taylor Jr.
15 Wade/Adebo

Have not yet watched: Melifonwu, Trill Williams, Bryce Thompson, Shakur Brown, Brian mills, Wildgoose Jr, several others

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...