What would a WR have to do to win season MVP?

notthatbluestuff

18 hours ago, Starless said:

Post a season like 2007 Randy Moss and hope his QB isn't 2007 Tom Brady

All but a handful of WRs need a MVP worthy QB to put up the numbers a WR would have to have to be in the conversation.   Then his QB wins it instead.  

8 hours ago, August4th said:

I think AB had a legit shot at it in 2017 before he got hurt

He didn’t. That entire year was Wentz and Brady. Then very late in the year Wentz went down and for the rest of the year the media was trying to hype other people who had no shot. AB was in the convo for a week and Gurley was in the convo after. Neither were even close to winning 

You probably need an 1800+ yard 20+ TD season and you need it to be from 2 QBs, otherwise the QB probably wins.

• See Cunningham and Moss in 1998 
    • I know that TD 2K won on merit (25 votes), but Cunningham finished 2nd (14 votes) and Moss 3rd (4 votes)
  • See Brady and Moss in 2007
    • Brady was clearly the winner on merit (49 of 50 votes) with 50 TDs and all that
      • Moss had 1493 yards and 23 TDs
    • If Moss has that year but Brady misses 5 games and Cassel feeds Moss like Brady did then that would be how you get a WR MVP

FYI, Jerry Rice was clearly MVP in 1987.

• The voters were too stupid to get it right.
  • Montana and Rice split the Rice vote and Elway won the award as the 3rd place guy.
  • Montana only started 9 of 12 real games (and 2 scab games) 26 TDs to 11 picks in real games
  • Rice had insane numbers and he had 2 QBs throwing to him (Young had 10 TDs and no picks in 3 starts that year)
    • Rice had 65 catches 1078 yards and 22 TDs in the 12 real games that year. (he also ran for 51 and a TD)

2000+ receiving yards, 20+ TDs: On a perennial non-playoff team where the QB goes down mid season, and the WR takes said team to the playoffs with the backup QB.

It would also require an athletic freak that’s a highlight reel every time he steps onto the field, like Moss or Megatron were; a boring methodical guy probably wouldn’t cut it, otherwise a QB might still get it.

I think such would suffice outside of an All-Time QB season. Even with the QBs this season, if a team like the Jets or Bengals could have somehow pulled of a DBZ Fusion of Calvin Johnson’s 2012 season and Randy Moss’ 2007 season, with their QB situations being what they were this season while Megatron Moss goes on to lead those squads in those divisions to the playoffs... I’d give the MVP to the WR over both Mahomes and Rodgers. At the VERY LEAST it’d have to be a co-MVP finish.

I would say they need to set a record, for sure, it needs to be a down year in a relative sense for QBs, and they'd need to be the clear driver of their offense (as many have said, likely multiple QBs throughout the year), and that offense needs to be the thing that drives that team.

On 12/22/2020 at 12:35 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Yes. If Michael Thomas had his 2019 season in 2017, I think he'd have a real chance at MVP, although it definitely hurts that he's not a human highlight reel the same way Hopkins is.

...but Michael Thomas's 2019 might be the only elite WR season (top 15 all time) where there were multiple QBs and no MVP-caliber QB in the mix. Really would need the stars to align perfectly for a WR to win it.

Came in to essentially say this as well. Need a perfect storm and probably a Michael Thomas situation where you put up record breaking stats with multiple QB's.

2200+ yards, 24+ tds while dominating team touches (something that raises the question "is it the QB or the WRs?") is the stat line one would need. 

More importantly, imo, a lot of those yards would need to be YAC and come on a lot of highlight reel catches. Without that, they risk just being a high volume security blanket and just not standing out enough. 

I've seen great stat lines that just don't pop out to me because someone was just ridiculously consistent at catching relatively boring 10-12 yard routine catches over and over. That's not going to garner MVP attention.

Frankly, just like for a RB to win it, there has to be no QB worthy of the award

Given what we have seen recently from Mahomes, Lamar, Rodgers, Russ, and maybe new contenders like Josh Allen - I don't know that we should expect to see ANY non-QB any time soon

I don;t know if we will ever the see era again where the top QB is only in the 4200/30/8 range.. which is what it would take for a non QB to win. If someone goes 4500/40/sub 10 - which we are starting to see much more often, and this year they are FAR eclipsing - then it doesn't matter what a RB or WR does.. they won't get it

Edited by Tk3