What would a WR have to do to win season MVP?

notthatbluestuff

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

2019 Michael Thomas disagrees

70th in yards per catch with over 20 targets per TD.

9 total TDs in a season where a QB had 36 passing and 7 rushing.

He was 5th in yards from scrimmage (600+ behind McCaffrey who had 10 more TDs)

That season was the poster child for runner up to NFC Offensive Player of the Year and not MVP

Edited by SkippyX

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2020 at 6:10 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

However many receiving yards and TDs he'd have, his QB would have more. 

Is it possible for a WR to win season MVP? Maybe by putting up elite (like, best WR in the league elite) production with two or more different QBs in the same year AND if there were no particularly impressive QB candidates from elsewhere in the league? 

I guess this kinda answers my question - if Kupp didn't win MVP for this year, it's safe to say that no WR likely ever wins.

19 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I guess this kinda answers my question - if Kupp didn't win MVP for this year, it's safe to say that no WR likely ever wins.

They’d have to have their QB get injured mid season and then still produce with someone else. And even then, there would probably be some QB on another team that would get priority. 

Edited by lancerman

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

They can't.  The league has decided that only QBs can be MVP.

Honestly yeah. In 2014 when the media pushed the narrative that JJ Watt couldn’t win because his team didn’t make the playoffs it was basically an implications that QB’s matter more to winning so they get priority. It’s a basically a QB award now. It’s been 10 years since a non QB won it and I’m not even sure that would happen again in the exact same circumstances.

• Like 1

Just now, lancerman said:

Honestly yeah. In 2014 when the media pushed the narrative that JJ Watt couldn’t win because his team didn’t make the playoffs it was basically an implications that QB’s matter more to winning so they get priority. It’s a basically a QB award now. It’s been 10 years since a non QB won it and I’m not even sure that would happen again in the exact same circumstances.

Everything JJ Watt and Aaron Donald did over their career being the best players at any position in the league multiple times wasn't enough for MVP.  Derrick Henry last year wasn't enough for MVP.

It's a QB only award.  Which is dumb, but it's how it is.  If you're not a QB, you can't win the MVP.

Just now, Daniel said:

Everything JJ Watt and Aaron Donald did over their career being the best players at any position in the league multiple times wasn't enough for MVP.  Derrick Henry last year wasn't enough for MVP.

It's a QB only award.  Which is dumb, but it's how it is.  If you're not a QB, you can't win the MVP.

Which imo is why they need a Cy Young award for QB’s. 

1600+ yards, a ton of YAC yardage with fewer receptions than reasonable, new rec yard TD record, a lot of highlight catch and runs. 

Just getting open isn't enough, for sure. Someone catching a bunch of short passes and ripping off a ton of yards afterwards probably moves the needle a bit more. 

Honestly, it would probably take a Deebo Samuel type of WR that comfortably breaks 1000 yards receiving and also chalks up 500+ yards rushing and a handful of TDs on the ground. 

11 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Wondering.....should they start taking the playoffs into account UP TO the Super Bowl? If so Kupp wins MVP this year even before the Super Bowl is played.

There is a Super Bowl MVP, but no playoff MVP, so including it could make some sense

Would turn into “you have to win the Super Bowl or at least make it to have an MVP shot”. If the playoffs were counted the current MVP would get DQ’d for going one and done at home in a game they didn’t do much in