Jump to content

Week 16: Miami Dolphins (9-5) @ Las Vegas Raiders (7-7) on Saturday Night


MIA @ LV  

8 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Miami Dolphins
    • Las Vegas Raiders
      0

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/27/2020 at 03:02 AM

Recommended Posts

That was such a crazy game.  Very happy that the Fins' playoff hopes weren't derailed by that iffy PI call.  I was initially ticked off that Tua was pulled yet again.  But then I saw the reports that Gailey hadn't prepared Tua for anything that the Raiders were throwing at him this week.  Given that Tua was still throwing to 4th and 5th stringers, the move to go to the veteran who has seen more pro defenses isn't nearly as concerning anymore.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

That was such a crazy game.  Very happy that the Fins' playoff hopes weren't derailed by that iffy PI call.  I was initially ticked off that Tua was pulled yet again.  But then I saw the reports that Gailey hadn't prepared Tua for anything that the Raiders were throwing at him this week.  Given that Tua was still throwing to 4th and 5th stringers, the move to go to the veteran who has seen more pro defenses isn't nearly as concerning anymore.  

Haven't read that hopefully it is true. I was concerned that he was being pulled yet again, even if it was the right call. It is hard to really evaluate the guy when he doesn't have the tools to get the job done. Though that argument about wrs, only carries so much weight, Fitz is throwing to the same guys or smartly going to Gisecki. He is a rookie, there will be growing pains. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

Haven't read that hopefully it is true. I was concerned that he was being pulled yet again, even if it was the right call. It is hard to really evaluate the guy when he doesn't have the tools to get the job done. Though that argument about wrs, only carries so much weight, Fitz is throwing to the same guys or smartly going to Gisecki. He is a rookie, there will be growing pains. 

It was an interview with Gailey himself, so I'm assuming it is indeed true.  

I love Fitz.  I really do.  But he wasn't throwing anyone open.  He threw a 5 yard in route to Gaskin, who then took it 55 more yards to the house on his own.  Nothing to do with Fitz there.  Then Fitz heaved up the pass to Hollins (which I will admit was impressive, given the facemask) which was underthrown and to wide open WR.  Those were his big plays.  Neither had really that much to do with Fitz, other than being able to throw a heave with your head turned sideways. 

With that said, I wouldn't hate to see Tua take a few more chances.  Trust his arm some more.  Of course, when he sees his crappy WRs have the ball bounce out of their hands and end up being INTs, I guess I can't blame him.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

It was an interview with Gailey himself, so I'm assuming it is indeed true.  

I love Fitz.  I really do.  But he wasn't throwing anyone open.  He threw a 5 yard in route to Gaskin, who then took it 55 more yards to the house on his own.  Nothing to do with Fitz there.  Then Fitz heaved up the pass to Hollins (which I will admit was impressive, given the facemask) which was underthrown and to wide open WR.  Those were his big plays.  Neither had really that much to do with Fitz, other than being able to throw a heave with your head turned sideways. 

With that said, I wouldn't hate to see Tua take a few more chances.  Trust his arm some more.  Of course, when he sees his crappy WRs have the ball bounce out of their hands and end up being INTs, I guess I can't blame him.

 

Fair points, Gaskins td was Gaskins, which admittedly when the play first started to develop and he went backwards before swinging outside I  thought "WTF you going backwards for?!".

Hollins along the sidelines was admittedly a fluke play. But the long pass down the middle to Gisecki was absolutely Fitz. The Dolphins did have some lucky breaks in that game. All I am saying is Tua's wrs are awful can't be a constant excuse for Tua, there is a reason Flores changes QB's midgame and not WR's TE's not that there is a wealth to choose from. His wr's are a concern and an issue but I am not going to say but for his Wr's he would be lighting it up. Nor am I saying that is your position, mainly just contextualizing my thought process and comment. 

I am not saying Tua is a bust or anything like that I think the Dolphins made the right pick. Saturday was a good example though if the Defense is off or the refs hurt you with calls, the QB is going to have to step up Fitz has that, win or lose, Magic vs Tragic, Tua has the potential and talent to have that at a more successful level than Fitz.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

Fair points, Gaskins td was Gaskins, which admittedly when the play first started to develop and he went backwards before swinging outside I  thought "WTF you going backwards for?!".

Hollins along the sidelines was admittedly a fluke play. But the long pass down the middle to Gisecki was absolutely Fitz. The Dolphins did have some lucky breaks in that game. All I am saying is Tua's wrs are awful can't be a constant excuse for Tua, there is a reason Flores changes QB's midgame and not WR's TE's not that there is a wealth to choose from. His wr's are a concern and an issue but I am not going to say but for his Wr's he would be lighting it up. Nor am I saying that is your position, mainly just contextualizing my thought process and comment. 

I am not saying Tua is a bust or anything like that I think the Dolphins made the right pick. Saturday was a good example though if the Defense is off or the refs hurt you with calls, the QB is going to have to step up Fitz has that, win or lose, Magic vs Tragic, Tua has the potential and talent to have that at a more successful level than Fitz.   

That's true.  That's where Fitz and his experience comes into play, with the gunslinger mentality.  When the receivers don't get separation, you have to gamble and be willing to put it up there.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

Hollins along the sidelines was admittedly a fluke play. But the long pass down the middle to Gisecki was absolutely Fitz.

I too was curious about that Gesicki play...all game the Raiders did a really good job covering Gesicki but soon as Fitz comes off the bench suddenly Gesicki is open down the middle for a big gain. 

Did the Raiders change to a different defensive scheme after Fitz came in? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, FinSting said:

I too was curious about that Gesicki play...all game the Raiders did a really good job covering Gesicki but soon as Fitz comes off the bench suddenly Gesicki is open down the middle for a big gain. 

Did the Raiders change to a different defensive scheme after Fitz came in? 

 

Two thing at play here...

1. Fitzpatrick is more of a risk taker obviously than Tua. So yeah, it makes sense to have him in when we need a comeback, I guess. He'll throw more picks and with a defensive team, Tua should absolutely be the starter.

2. Raiders were game planning for Tua so were caught flat footed by our change at QB.

As for the Raiders coverage, it seemed they switched to mostly Cover 2 after Fitzpatrick came in rather than Man to Man.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

As for the Raiders coverage, it seemed they switched to mostly Cover 2 after Fitzpatrick came in rather than Man to Man.

Aha that explains it. 

I did notice that former Fins LB McMillan was covering Gesicki on that play, which was a very bad idea as we watched him get burned in coverage over and over again when he was in Miami. Hence the trade to the Raiders. I just couldn't remember if McMillan had been used in coverage much when Tua was in there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...