Packerraymond 2021 Mock V1

Packerraymond

- We'll be picking somewhere between 28-32. Not going to fire Pettine in this mock as I think he comes back if we win the SB and I hope we win the SB, so all moves are with Pettine as DC. Cap stays flat at about 195 giving us somewhere between 10-15 to play with pre-cuts.

Cuts:

Rick Wagner

Christian Kirksey

Notables not re-signed:

Corey Linsley

Aaron Jones

Re-signings:

Kevin King (2/18)

Jamaal Williams (2/7)

Marcedes Lewis (1/1)

Lafleur's pick of Tyler Ervin/Tavon Austin (1/1)

Extensions:

Davante Adams (3/60): adds about 8 mil to this years cap by using his base salary as part of his new deals bonus. Deal keeps Adams in GB for his entire prime and comes with a wink and nod from Aaron that he'll make sure we have room for Jaire too.

Free Agency: Room left for 1 mid-level guy

Dalvin Tomlinson DT NY Giants (3/27): 

We tried to trade for Tomlinson this deadline, couldn't get it done so we bring him in to play alongside Clark. Much better run plug than we get from Lowry, will make it much harder to run on us, and allow more room for Martin and Barnes to roam. 

The Draft: (Comps in the 4th/5th/7th)

Round 1: Zaven Collins 6'4 260 EDGE/ILB/Nickel, School: Tulsa

Not really a need, but as you've seen the last few years we don't really draft for need I'm round 1. Collins is one of those planet Earth types. Not too many tall, 260 pound dudes that can do what he does. I can see him comped pretty similarly to Anthony Barr, who I think was wasted in a 4-3. I see an early down ILB, sub package EDGE, a guy I would be confident playing M2M in the slot on a TE/RB. Depending on the Combine he may be a guy you hear in the top 15 in Feb, but for now he's mocked most often in the end of round 1 and I think he's perfect to play everywhere in year 1, while you groom him to replace Preston in year 2 and Gary works more in the EDGE/3 tech realm to replace Z.

Round 2: Brady Christiansen 6'6 300 OT

School: BYU

Bakh and Turner are back at the bookends for 2021, but it's never too early to start thinking about replacing them. Christiansen has been one of the better pass blocking OTs in CFB this year and he's athletic to fit the zone first schemes we use here. He'll fill in as the first guy off the bench on both left and right sides as a rook.

Round 3: Javonte Williams 5'11 220 RB

School: UNC

Jones unfortunately gets the big pay day elsewhere and leaves us needing a 3rd back to groom. Both UNC backs have been fun to watch, Williams has the ceiling as an every down back though compared to his counterpart Michael Carter. We go into next season with 3 capable backs capable of running LaFleur's scheme to the fullest. As Rodgers ages running the ball becomes more and more important.

Round 4: Sage Surratt 6'2 215 WR

School: Wake Forest

The pick 2 years in the making, a WR. Basically I'm 100% bought into the LaFleur school of thinking. As much as I love to watch Rondale Moore, Tutu Atwell, Elijah Moore, just get a WR that will block the hell out of someone and catch the ball, and let your scheme open him up. Surratt fits that bill perfectly, I'd be shocked if he isn't high on our board.

Round 4: Greg Newsome II 6'1 190 CB

School: Northwestern

Craig Newsome was good, so Greg Newsome will be too. Can never have enough CBs who can play.

Round 5: Drake Johnson 6'2 310 IOL

School: Kentucky

We lose a bit of our depth here with Linsley and Taylor gone and Patrick and Runyan to the starting lineup. Johnson can play center as well as guard, would be an earlier pick if he had more prototypical size.

Round 5 Monty Rice 6'1 235 ILB

School: Georgia

I like where our ILBs are heading, young, cheap and playing pretty well. The addition of Tomlinson should let them range a little bit more. Rice is depth and ST help.

Round 6: Ben Mason 6'3 255 FB

School: Michigan

This just feels like a pick LaFleur will want to make, and we'll all laugh at. So here it is for the sake of realism.

Round 7: Cole Van Lanen 6'5 315 OT

School: Wisconsin

Van Lanen regressed every year he was at Madison IMO, was best as a soph. Went from the next round 1 Badger OL to a late day pick. There's some tools there worth bringing into a camp though.

Round 7 Frank Darby 6'1 200 WR

School: ASU

Kind of reminds me of Tyree Cleveland last year. Straight line speed/ST guy. Worth a look.

2021 D.C:

QB: Rodgers-Love

RB: Williams-Dillon-Williams-Austin/Ervin

FB/TE: Deguara-Mason

WR: Adams-Lazard-MVS-Funchess-EQ-Surratt

TE: Tonyan-Sternburger-Lewis

OT: Bakh-Turner-Christiansen-Nijman

OG: Jenkins-Runyan-Stepaniak-Johnson

OC: Patrick-Hanson

DL: Clark-Tomlinson-Keke-Lowry-Lancaster

ILB: Martin-Barnes-Burks-Rice

EDGE: Smith-Smith-Gary-Collins-Ramsey-Garvin

CB: Alexander-King-Sullivan-Jackson-Holloman-Newsome

S: Amos-Savage-Scott-Greene-Redmond

ST: Crosby-Scott-Bradley

• Like 4

Liked for re-sign instead of resign.  I don’t like this mock.

Never a tweener.  If you don’t know where they go when you draft them it’s probably not gonna go well.

The days of LaVar Arrington are over.

I’m about 64% serious, 37% joking and 13% bad at math.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Liked for re-sign instead of resign.  I don’t like this mock.

Never a tweener.  If you don’t know where they go when you draft them it’s probably not gonna go well.

The days of LaVar Arrington are over.

I’m about 64% serious, 37% joking and 13% bad at math.

That mindset died in the day of LaVar Arrington. Guys that play all over are in. 

• Like 1

I'd feel sorry for the defenses that have to tackle our RBs if that's the 3 we trot out next year. I can't really say anything bad about this draft. I think it's a bad idea to not even select a DL but this class isn't very deep there so I can see it being avoided and bringing in a camp guy. Obviously, signing Tomlinson alleviates the need but I'd like one more higher end guy in the room or at least someone with the tools to be that. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

I'd feel sorry for the defenses that have to tackle our RBs if that's the 3 we trot out next year. I can't really say anything bad about this draft. I think it's a bad idea to not even select a DL but this class isn't very deep there so I can see it being avoided and bringing in a camp guy. Obviously, signing Tomlinson alleviates the need but I'd like one more higher end guy in the room or at least someone with the tools to be that. 

I wanted to draft a DL early, but I like Keke, think he's earned snaps at #3. Then I figured, might as well pick from a strong OL class if you're just depth drafting late and hope next year's DL class is better. Clark, Tomlinson, Keke would all be under contract in 2022 as well.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I wanted to draft a DL early, but I like Keke, think he's earned snaps at #3. Then I figured, might as well pick from a strong OL class if you're just depth drafting late and hope next year's DL class is better. Clark, Tomlinson, Keke would all be under contract in 2022 as well.

Yeah, I get the thought process after looking at the DL class again. There's really not a lot to like as it is. You'd just have to hope that there's a camp body that ends up better than Tyler Lancaster right out of the gates that has some semblance of upside. LIS, there's really nothing to complain about with your draft. There's a ton of talent on that team and they all fit the scheme like a glove. The Javonte Williams pick gives me tingles just thinking about cold weather football and our ability to throw three horses at you all game. 

2 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

I think it's Jones' best interest to sign less for GB and have a smaller workload and longer career. These big RB deals seem bad both for teams and for RBs.

I think the fact that we're close to a Super Bowl NOW that most teams that would be interested in his services might make him strongly consider signing for less, even with Rosenhaus as his agent. I don't think it happens, but...

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I think it's a bad idea to not even select a DL but this class isn't very deep there so I can see it being avoided and bringing in a camp guy. Obviously, signing Tomlinson alleviates the need but I'd like one more higher end guy in the room or at least someone with the tools to be that. 

If you bring in Tomlinson, it's still necessary to at least spend a pick on a guy you think you can develop into a solid starter. Rhetorically speaking: at what point do you finally acknowledge that the IDL classes are always going to produce one, maybe two solid players? Every year, it seems as if we discuss how weak the IDL class is and yet there's always some guy chosen in rounds 3-5 that busts out after a couple seasons. Additionally, if you go back and look at notable UDFA's out of the last few classes, very few of them pan out along the IDL; believe it or not, Lancaster is listed as a notable UDFA from 2018...what does that tell you...

----

As for the original post, I don't see us cutting Kirksey because he has contributed, but could definitely see us cutting Wagner who has done little to nothing. I don't think Davante's extension comes just yet as well. The Dalvin Tomlinson signing is very reasonable.

As for the draft itself, I'm holding my breath on Collins a bit given that he's not really good against the run, but if you're going to put him on the field in the role Preston's been playing, it makes sense. There's a lot to like about Collins, but his play against the run concerns me. Completely disagree on Christiansen and he's an incredible reach as well; I get that he's being moved to RT, but he's not a mauler in the run game and we already have one RT that struggles mightily against the speed rush we don't need a second. I'd switch him and Williams around if you're going to go that route. I really like what Williams brings to the table. Not sure Suratt works for us; his route-running isn't that explosive.

Really really hate the Johnson pick and it's worse than the Christiansen pick simply because of our depth at OG; you forget we invested THREE consecutive picks at the position last year though that's if Jake Hanson doesn't play Center. Even with losing Lane Taylor(as if he's actually been available the last 18 months), that still leaves us with Patrick, Jenkins(who won't be our long-term Center sorry to say), Stepaniak, Runyan, Patrick, Turner(if he's not the RT), and Bredeson(who was a 4th round selection this past draft). Assuming you're picking in the 160's at that point in the draft, you really need to start considering DB's and there are a whole slew of them that could make an immediate impact. Why aren't they all selected sooner? because they all have one knock on them that separates them from being a top-100 player to being a mid to late Day 3 pick. For example, Keith Taylor is a jack-of-all-trades type of DB that isn't elite at any one position who's 6-3 and can hang with TE's and RB's coming out of the backfield. Tyreke Johnson is another player who was overshadowed by Jeff Okudah and Damon Arnette at Ohio St; the same criticism goes for Monty Rice and Ben Mason. The Van Lanen pick is where you redeem yourself simply because we can mold him into being a solid RT and a back-up at worst. I'd also think we'd be using a 7th to trade up somewhere as well. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Stepaniak and Hansen could just as easily be cut as they could be depth next year. Spending 6/7th rounders on players doesn't mean anything for the future. It's a dart toss. I'd take IOL there every year. Can never have too much depth there.

Pretty much this. Should be taking an IOL, ILB, DB, and maybe WR every year.