Texans interview Jim Caldwell for HC vacancy

TheKillerNacho

I don't think it's anything more than due diligence at this point. The team has been pretty adamant that the GM is going to be in place and the GM is making this hire.

I'll say, I'd love to see Robert Saleh with Caldwell as Assistant HC/OC. That would be an ideal pairing, actually - if Caldwell would be interested in such a position, serving in a similar role that Romeo Crennell held while BoB was ruining this team...

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't think it's anything more than due diligence at this point. The team has been pretty adamant that the GM is going to be in place and the GM is making this hire.

I'll say, I'd love to see Robert Saleh with Caldwell as Assistant HC/OC. That would be an ideal pairing, actually - if Caldwell would be interested in such a position, serving in a similar role that Romeo Crennell held while BoB was ruining this team...

If they're letting the GM make the hire, why are they interviewing any head coach candidates before hiring the GM? If that is true you're basically spitting in Caldwell's face saying "your interview is pointless".

5 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

If they're letting the GM make the hire, why are they interviewing any head coach candidates before hiring the GM? If that is true you're basically spitting in Caldwell's face saying "your interview is pointless".

Interviews are usually 2-4 step processes (granted, I don't work for a football team, but that's my experience in the interviews I've been on - and the two I've done).

Usually, the first Interview is with HR, going over initial fit (which I'm certain is not happening here). Second interview could be with an equivalent to the future position within the organization, looking over behavioral fits (GM?) Third interview is usually with the decision maker (Cal/Janice McNair).

I wonder if the same model applies, but it keeps the organization from getting tunnel vision - which is something Cal seems adamant on doing with his committee and Korn Ferry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Fwiw I made a thread for all things interviews in Gen. Maybe it should be moved here? There's going to be a ton.

I think we're okay with a thread in Gen and one in News when individual interviews happen - Gen can be more speculative in discussion, News can be more tangible in discussion and specific to the team/candidates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Interviews are usually 2-4 step processes

There's one more piece here and that's the powerful agents that represent head coaches - especially if they have selected agent Bob LaMonte to represent them. Because then the initial interview isn't just about a good fit - but rather allocation of power in the organization.

"What one must comprehend is Lamonte's agenda. He wants all of his clients to ultimately have Holmgren power, or at least personnel power. In fact, the incredibly rapid ascent of Reid (two years as coach) and Sherman (one year) to positions of front-office authority this offseason is startling to many executives.

"To be honest, I'm not sure I want [to represent] any coach who does not want the type of authority, or that he does not have the ability to use that power well," said Lamonte. "I like 'em to have that power and at the end of the day, I will push to have that power."

This power struggle is part of the initial screening/ interviewing process because some teams will acquiesce, while others have a strong GM in place

ET- You will not be surprised to see Jack Easterby on Bob La Monte's list of clients.

https://www.psr-inc.net/clients/

• Like 2