Texans interview Jim Caldwell for HC vacancy

TheKillerNacho

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

Interviews are usually 2-4 step processes (granted, I don't work for a football team, but that's my experience in the interviews I've been on - and the two I've done).

Usually, the first Interview is with HR, going over initial fit (which I'm certain is not happening here). Second interview could be with an equivalent to the future position within the organization, looking over behavioral fits (GM?) Third interview is usually with the decision maker (Cal/Janice McNair).

I wonder if the same model applies, but it keeps the organization from getting tunnel vision - which is something Cal seems adamant on doing with his committee and Korn Ferry.

And frankly don't rule out the fact that this gets the Rooney rule out of the way. Maybe cynical of me but it allows the GM to focus on who he wants without the external commitment.

• Like 1

i really hope this isn't some sham rooney rule interview. caldwell is a good coach who deserves better. really one of the most reprehensible things that teams do in this whole process (not singling out the texans- i'm sure there isn't a team in the nfl that hasn't done this)

6 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i really hope this isn't some sham rooney rule interview. caldwell is a good coach who deserves better. really one of the most reprehensible things that teams do in this whole process (not singling out the texans- i'm sure there isn't a team in the nfl that hasn't done this)

I have to imagine Houston interviews Eric B as well.   Probably at least some merit to this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

you just want the Texans to hire him.  he isn't a "good hc".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The weird idea that Caldwell is a bad coach has never made sense to me. He's won everywhere he has been.

Yup. Assistant HC for one SB win and the OC responsible for Flacco going Super Saiyan in the 2012 playoffs culminating in Caldwell’s 2nd SB win. Prior to switching from Cam Cameron to Caldwell, the offense was playing like trash. Then how he kept the Lions (even post Megatron) at above .500 should be commended. Especially when Patricia has largely run that team into the ground.

18 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

He’s a .500 HC, his career coaching record is similar to Ron Rivera. I think most would consider Rivera a good HC.

Only difference is Caldwell wasn’t given as much time to continue his marginally above .500 coaching ways. 

Sure he’s not a great coach in the Tomlin, Harbaugh, Payton mold... but ‘good’ you’d have to make a good case as to why he’s not such. I mean he went .500 in a division with prime Rodgers and those really good Vikings teams. Nothing embarrassing about that at all. That team was always in the thick of the playoffs within a tough division.

Caldwell is someone that will take a sub 5-6 win team and turn them into a .500 type unit as long as he has ‘something’ on defense or at QB.

With Watson being as good and clutch as he is, he could probably take that unit to a 10-6/11-5 type record pretty consistently, even if he might not be a slamdunk option... and I’m factoring in the competitiveness of that division.

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

i've already been over this in another thread. caldwell gets a bad rap for little reason other than his demeanor. he's a solid coach and i genuinely believe he'd have the texans contending for division titles sooner rather than later.

16 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i've already been over this in another thread. caldwell gets a bad rap for little reason other than his demeanor. he's a solid coach and i genuinely believe he'd have the texans contending for division titles sooner rather than later.

He had one bad year in his entire career. This bizarre notion of "well you'll never win a SB" like its just some easything that you can do lmao. Almost every coach will never win a SB. Jim Caldwell is a really really good HC and I just do not understand why this narrative around him persists.

53 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

He had one bad year in his entire career. This bizarre notion of "well you'll never win a SB" like its just some easything that you can do lmao. Almost every coach will never win a SB. Jim Caldwell is a really really good HC and I just do not understand why this narrative around him persists.

It's because he's not a fiery demeanor type, one who has a bunch of quotable quotes and published books on inspiration or leading men.

He's not my first choice, but I wouldn't be too bothered.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

@ET80 God speed, pilgrim.

Ditto on this. Is he my first choice? No. But, he took an Andy Dalton-led Bengals team to the playoffs pretty frequently. I can't dislike that.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

It's because he's not a fiery demeanor type, one who has a bunch of quotable quotes and published books on inspiration or leading men.

He's not my first choice, but I wouldn't be too bothered.

Ditto on this. Is he my first choice? No. But, he took an Andy Dalton-led Bengals team to the playoffs pretty frequently. I can't dislike that.

Lewis is a terrible coach.  He seems to have a great eye for talent and I think he would do well as a GM.   However, he was never that good at bringing that talent together.    Several years they had top 5 talent and did nothing. 

His teams also wack discipwin.   

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

@ET80 God speed, pilgrim.

I mean, honestly, this man kept the an above .500 record with the Bengals.

Lewis did what he did in a division with 4 different SB winning coaches in Billick, Cowher, Tomlin, and Harbaugh... who all posted above .500 career records.

Then immediately after leaving, the team has shown to be one of the worst in the league the last couple seasons. When Marvin had even just quality QB play from the Red Rifle, the squad was a perennial playoff contender.

He might not have ended strong, but let’s not forget that Lewis can create some dominant defensive units and is a good leader of men. Bengals went to six straight playoffs under him and in that stretch he pumped out 4 HCs into the league. He’s the Bengals franchise leader in wins.

Honestly I think he’d be a great fit for the Texans. He can attract strong coaching talent onto his staff and with limited draft ammunition to improve that team, getting a guy who can shape that defensive talent into its most formidable self is the Texans best bet. He’s got flaws, but every coach that has coached for over a decade has shown at least some type of flaws. With a mediocre QB, Harbaugh was a .500 coach, same as Lewis; Tomlin was as well. Luckily the Texans already have the QB piece to the puzzle already in tow.

I think that would be an excellent hire tbqh.

Edit: Add in Lewis’ age at 62 and it’s a built in ‘save face’ if he doesn’t work out completely and the Texans continue to get bounced from the playoffs, he can respectably retire vs firing him overtly. Lewis is someone that can rebuild their playoff culture (which could excite the veterans like Watt especially) then in 3-4 years, go towards their young HC direction once this current Texans core begins to graduate. I see Lewis as a win/win.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1