49ers sign Josh Rosen

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Decided to split this just because he's a "name" and there may be a couple of pages worth of dialogue that comes from it. 

Honestly, I probably would give him a crack at the final week of the season. This signing really does make a lot of sense. He should play well in the system for Shanny, and he's clearly a very intelligent guy off the field. That's never been a knock. I don't knwo if he's committed to football fully or understands what is going on on the field, but he's a guy that we would now control moving into next season and we give him an off season to digest the playbook, etc. I don't know...just makes sense. 

I mean, we dress up a few reasonably simple concepts with a lot of motion. That's the real trick, I imagine - remembering each motion and why it exists with leverage advantages taken into account. Some of the choice route things we run take a lot of trust, but we almost all of those are in the middle of the field to non-wide receiver types that I've been able to track. I liked Rosen coming out. But he was more dependent on his supporting cast as he had no athleticism. The things he was good at - footwork, throwing in rhythm, play-action fakes, intermediate throws between the hashes - all haven't been there in the NFL, but all would be useful here if he could perform on our roster. And he would match CJ's arm strength on the roster with more upside because he isn't a rock with an arm. But he has a large sample of being legitimately terrible at the NFL level. I look at Joe Burrow, who is the same sort of guy, but a lot better in college and with the functional athleticism to make plays and that dude has done so, so much more with a violently crappy team around him than Rosen did. Rosen was a legitimate ******* calamity. Never on time - no athleticism to make up for it. It may be what you said - he's always been the brightest, top of his class, stuff comes easy. Those dudes get thrown into sink or swim situations eventually and he hasn't even once looked like coming up for air. 

7 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I mean, we dress up a few reasonably simple concepts with a lot of motion. That's the real trick, I imagine - remembering each motion and why it exists with leverage advantages taken into account. Some of the choice route things we run take a lot of trust, but we almost all of those are in the middle of the field to non-wide receiver types that I've been able to track. I liked Rosen coming out. But he was more dependent on his supporting cast as he had no athleticism. The things he was good at - footwork, throwing in rhythm, play-action fakes, intermediate throws between the hashes - all haven't been there in the NFL, but all would be useful here if he could perform on our roster. And he would match CJ's arm strength on the roster with more upside because he isn't a rock with an arm. But he has a large sample of being legitimately terrible at the NFL level. I look at Joe Burrow, who is the same sort of guy, but a lot better in college and with the functional athleticism to make plays and that dude has done so, so much more with a violently crappy team around him than Rosen did. Rosen was a legitimate ******* calamity. Never on time - no athleticism to make up for it. It may be what you said - he's always been the brightest, top of his class, stuff comes easy. Those dudes get thrown into sink or swim situations eventually and he hasn't even once looked like coming up for air. 

My guess is that we don't play him, though I wouldn't hate it if we did. CJ is an absolute nothing moving forward...even if Rosen is 1%, that's still higher than what I see from CJ Lol. The thing is, there's probably not a reason to play him. You're starting him off poorly and setting him up to fail. He's an RFA next year, but I dont' know that it's worthwhile to even tender him, which means he's basically an unrestricted free agent. I guess if Mullens was going to be tagged anyway, maybe you just go ahead and do it since Mullens isn't going to get tendered now, and that allows us to control his rights for another year (don't think that those tenders are fully guaranteed...not sure). Probably looking at 3 million...but depends on how we shake out the rest of the quarterback room. That's a lot of money for a guy you may not even feel comfortable with as a Qb2 right now. 

If I had to guess, he's on the roster the next two games, doesn't play, and he's gone in the off season. 

I still don't know why we didn't make this move to begin with as opposed to signing Josh Johnson. 

19 hours ago, Forge said:

My guess is that we don't play him, though I wouldn't hate it if we did. CJ is an absolute nothing moving forward...even if Rosen is 1%, that's still higher than what I see from CJ Lol. The thing is, there's probably not a reason to play him. You're starting him off poorly and setting him up to fail. He's an RFA next year, but I dont' know that it's worthwhile to even tender him, which means he's basically an unrestricted free agent. I guess if Mullens was going to be tagged anyway, maybe you just go ahead and do it since Mullens isn't going to get tendered now, and that allows us to control his rights for another year (don't think that those tenders are fully guaranteed...not sure). Probably looking at 3 million...but depends on how we shake out the rest of the quarterback room. That's a lot of money for a guy you may not even feel comfortable with as a Qb2 right now. 

If I had to guess, he's on the roster the next two games, doesn't play, and he's gone in the off season. 

I still don't know why we didn't make this move to begin with as opposed to signing Josh Johnson. 

I’ve been thinking this over a little bit and I don’t think it makes sense for Rosen to have left the Bucs just to sit two weeks on our active roster as a backup. He had offers to join an active roster when he was cut from the Dolphins and decided to join the Bucs PS. I think there is an agreement that at the very least he’s going to be on the roster through the preseason next year. 

2 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I’ve been thinking this over a little bit and I don’t think it makes sense for Rosen to have left the Bucs just to sit two weeks on our active roster as a backup. He had offers to join an active roster when he was cut from the Dolphins and decided to join the Bucs PS. I think there is an agreement that at the very least he’s going to be on the roster through the preseason next year. 

If that were the case, I kind of feel like we would have signed him through next year as opposed to just the rest of the season. We could have signed him next year with no guarantees at the minimum but instead we are offering hte opportunity for him to sign elsewhere. There may be mutual interest in perhaps continuing the relationship, but you would think that we would have just made that agreement now. 

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

If that were the case, I kind of feel like we would have signed him through next year as opposed to just the rest of the season. We could have signed him next year with no guarantees at the minimum but instead we are offering hte opportunity for him to sign elsewhere. There may be mutual interest in perhaps continuing the relationship, but you would think that we would have just made that agreement now. 

I guess I haven’t seen anything regarding what he signed to come here.

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Forge said:

Apparently we signed Josh Johnson to a future / reserves contract but not Rosen. Guessing that's it for that experiment then. 

We couldn't sign Rosen to a future/reserve contract. He was on the 53-man roster, not the PS. Rosen is an ERFA according to Spotrac, although Overthecap has him as a RFA.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

The fact we wanted to promote Josh Johnson for the last game was already pretty telling i feel.

To me, that was only telling of the fact that Rosen had been with the team for so short.

Josh Johnson is a good guy to have in camp. He's a going to be the stand-in for Kyler and Russell. I doubt he's really in the QB2 discussion.

4 minutes ago, struby3 said:

We couldn't sign Rosen to a future/reserve contract. He was on the 53-man roster, not the PS. Rosen is an ERFA according to Spotrac, although Overthecap has him as a RFA.

I didn't think that was a thing any more. Wasn't Shepley on the 53 by the end of the season or did we just call him up temporarily? 

*edit*

nope, temp call up. You are correct. That would explain it.