DR43

1. Travis Etienne              RB     Clemson
2. Jackson Carman         OT    Clemson
3. Mac Jones                   QB    Alabama
4. Cory Durden                 NT    Florida State
7a.Reggie Roberson        WR     SMU
7b.Thomas Graham Jr.   CB    Oregon
7c.Leon O'Neal Jr.            S    Texas A&M

I am a big Etienne fan and would love him here but until we invest in the line and have some scheme change im not sure any back will have much success here. I do think some of the younger pieces we have could be a part of the unit moving forward but I would like to see a big injection of an elite talent or 2.  Your 2nd pick is a step in the right direction to helping that.

Not a huge fan of Mac Jones and think he doesnt last til the 3rd anyways.

• Like 1

Etienne isnt bad, but he isnt an Adrian Peterson type talent that is can make up for the inadequacies of a bad run blocking OLine.   His talents would be largely wasted here behind this current line.

I dont want to sink any high picks or major resources into the running back position until the OLine is fixed.   Unless we get Munchack back and he can work whatever magic he worked before, any Oline that has Pouncey in the middle is going to be a subpar run blocking line.    DeCastro can be a servicable run blocker if he had a better center next to him.

The fact that Pouncey keeps making the pro bowl is a ******* joke.   He isnt even a top 10 center and hasnt been since MM left..

I was a huge fan of Pouncey when we drafted him and he had some good years, but for the most part, his entire career has been vastly overrated, and he is on the decline.    

I wish Ben and Pouncey would retire together this offseason.      They are holding this team back in more ways than one.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

@DR43, thanks for the mock!!!

It is very hard to do since we do not know what FA or even the salary cap is going to look like.  When I did mine, I tried to think about what we would have/lose.

As a local here, I do like both Clemson players.  Eteinne is a complete NFL 2020 running back with the ability to run, catch and pass pro.  Carman is also a good prospect that has played well this year after some struggles last year.  I also can see the Jones pick, but is a bit redundant with Rudolph on the roster and with Ben still wanting to play and making 21 million next year.  I actually like Durden's game alot, but he is a bit redundant with Davis/Buggs.

I personally think that CB is going to be a much bigger need this year, regardless of how FA works out.  There is no way, in my mind, that we can keep both Sutton and Hilton, much less with Haden making so much money.  I can def see a situation in which we need to draft a CB early.  Along with the OT pick that you already made.  I don't think I can get behind drafting a RB early with our FA losses and with Snell/McFarland on the roster.

On 12/22/2020 at 7:44 PM, DR43 said:

1. Travis Etienne              RB     Clemson
2. Jackson Carman         OT    Clemson
3. Mac Jones                   QB    Alabama
4. Cory Durden                 NT    Florida State
7a.Reggie Roberson        WR     SMU
7b.Thomas Graham Jr.   CB    Oregon
7c.Leon O'Neal Jr.            S    Texas A&M

I would rather take a OT or OG in round 1. Round 3, gotta take a lineman too IMO.

Round 2, I’d take Mac Jones, not sure they can wait until the end of round 3 for him. 

Gotta take a TE at some point. They need a TE who can block in the worst way like the guy from NC State, Cary Angeline. He’s 6’7, 250. Take him in round 4.

RB talent isn’t a problem, they have talent, their OL can’t block and they don’t have a good blocking TE, that’s their problem and as someone said in another thread they need to use Derek Watt more like the 49ers use Kyle Juszczyk. He should be on the field on first downs and 2nd/3rd and short.

Edited by turtle28

Mixed feeling on Etienne. I'm assuming they'll have Ben back for at least one more season. To have any success, they need a running game. But like some previous members have stated, I think the lack of success largely falls on our offensive line. Until that is fixed, we won't have much success there. Our run blocking is as bad as I've ever seen it 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 3rivers said:

who else wants them to find a way to keep Haden and hopefully Sutton? I don't want to watch the secondary go back to being trash, because we have that on the other side of the ball with the OL which won't change  since ben and fichner will be here.

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

IMO you keep the defense in tact as best you can and draft 2 or 3 OL, and a blocking TE. That’s the only way they’re going to be able to run the ball better.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

IMO you keep the defense in tact as best you can and draft 2 or 3 OL, and a blocking TE. That’s the only way they’re going to be able to run the ball better.

lets not forget fire fichner and tell ben to retire, get a QB that will go under centre etc.... major overhaul and ego's need not be a part of it . I don't think it will happen, but hopes are it will. It's almost as thought the worst thing that could happen is if they actually start having luck right now, and then think they don't need to change it for next year and beyond. I don't know if I can tolerate another season of benfichner offence 

58 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

lets not forget fire fichner and tell ben to retire, get a QB that will go under centre etc.... major overhaul and ego's need not be a part of it . I don't think it will happen, but hopes are it will. It's almost as thought the worst thing that could happen is if they actually start having luck right now, and then think they don't need to change it for next year and beyond. I don't know if I can tolerate another season of benfichner offense 

Yeah, I’ll be surprised if the Steelers tell the 2nd best QB in their history to retire.

I hope that Tomlin gets rid of Fincher or takes more control of what the offense is doing, but we’ll see what happens there.

I actually think improving the OL, signing  or drafting a run blocking TE and playing Derek Watt more on 1st and 2nd downs will help their offense be more balanced.