2018 Head Coaching Candidates

G08

Wanted to open up this thread to get a conversation going on some assistants that you believe worthy of becoming a Head Coach next season

1. Pete Carmichael Jr - New Orleans Saints OC

2. Darrell Bevel - Seahawks OC

3. Teryl Austin - Lions DC

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Has Nagy really done anything, or is he riding Reid's coattails?

Don't think it matters to be honest. Look at Pederson. Could have asked the same question back then. Someone will give him a shot if the KC offense continues to produce either this year or next. 

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don't think it matters to be honest. Look at Pederson. Could have asked the same question back then. Someone will give him a shot if the KC offense continues to produce either this year or next. 

Shouldn't Chilly get the credit?  :D

Not really being serious, but I'm certain Pederson's relationship with the Eagles' management and ownership had a lot more to with him getting the job than just solely being under Reid...since we know how the Chilly-ball experience ended here.  Nagy may or may not get a shot after this offseason, but the more likely scenario is how Patrick Mahomes turns out next year will determine his future.

Paul Gunther the Bengals DC might get some looks (at least interviews).  I think he's done a good job taking over as DC for Mike Zimmer which isn't an easy thing to do.  He's also the leader in the clubhouse (according to us Bengal fans) of taking over for Marvin Lewis, if Marvin is done after this season...

Hopefully no Eagles coordinators or asst coaches. I could see teams trying to go after Schwartz, but I think at this point Schwartz is , like Wade Phillips or Mike McCoy, an elite coordinator and not a great head coach. 

I think Frank Reich might get some interviews. And he is probably the one guy on our staff I wouldn't be too upset losing. But Id prefer not to, since he and Fillippo and Doug have been with Carson since we drafted him and Id prefer we keep it like that

Other candidates I can think of from elsewhere....

Jim-Bob Cooter : After seeing Shannahan and McVay get jobs , and looking like they're doing great jobs so far (McVay more so), teams might try to emulate that and JBC is the closest thing to those two.  I think the Bears would be smart to look into him. They have their young and hopeful franchise QB, JBC has shown he could be a QB guru. And if they could keep Fangio on at DC, even better. Indy would be smart to look into him also.

Teryl Austin : When will this guy get a shot? Should have been hired last year. I think a good fit would be maybe...The Giants, Cincinnati, Miami...

Dave Toub : Has been one of the best ST coordinators in the league for awhile now. And he could be another one of surprisingly many Andy Reid disciples turned HC's (Bowles, Harbaugh, McDermott, Pederson). Harbaugh was the Eagles ST coordinator under Reid before being hired by Baltimore. 

Just stay away from Fipp. 

The name I throw out every year for the NFL and every big time college job. Gary Patterson. Almost always fielding teams that can compete with the big boys despite usually dealing with recruiting classes in about the 30s. He's shown the ability to adjust with the game. Used to win pro style with great defenses. When college football became faster paced he started winning with one of the most explosive offenses in the game. Just a great coach and IMO wasted at TCU. 

If you went the college route, David Shaw and possibly Chris Petersen could also be good options. 

I think previously successful head coaches like Payton, Harbaugh, and Arians could get fired and get new jobs.

Hard to say with NFL coordinators because we've never seen them be head coaches and being a fan on a message board I don't have the luxury of interviewing them. But I like Darrel Bevel, Vic Fangio, and Jim Bob Cooter. And I think Dave Toub could be a sleeper 

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Just to name a few that I haven't seen listed yet...

Jim Bob Cooter

I just wanna see the press conference. 

"Coach Cooter, question..."

As far as options - Mike Vrabel can really pad his resume if he can maintain a top 10 defense without Watt, Mercilius and Johnson. 

Archived