Is Mitchell Trubsiky really that bad?

Archimedes

He’s not Mahomes.

He’s not Watson.

But you can not be Mahomes and not be Watson and still not suck. He struggles with consistency, but when I actually watch him play he doesn’t look any worse to me than Mayfield or Goff. I don’t really see anyone saying those guys stink. He’s 24-12 in his last 36 starts (yes, I know wins are a team stat, even still). It seems as though the Bears were too quick to bench him this year, and they might well have won an extra game with him starting. Also not for nothing but he received a few votes by NFL defenders as one the league’s most underrated QBs in 2019.

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2019/01/14/nfl-defenders-call-mitch-trubisky-one-of-the-leagues-most-underrated-qbs/

I like him a lot better than guys like Jameis, Wentz, or Darnold, as far as potential reclamation project QBs to hit the market this year. I think much of Bears fans frustrations with him stem from the fact that he’s probably not going to be a superstar, and two superstar QBs were drafted after him in the first round of his same draft.

Of course, now that I have jinxed him he’s probably going to make me look stupid by laying an egg in his last two games, lol.

• Like 1

He has looked pretty good his last three games honestly, and may be in the middle of finally figuring things out, which would be great for him and I wish him well. However, Mitch has been atrocious all four years of his career and a Bottom 3 Starting QB. Unless he wins the Super Bowl, I don’t think it’d be wise for Chicago to keep him. He has held their franchise back for four years, and it’s time to let go. 

However, I do think Mitch will start somewhere next season. 49ers? Saints? Football Team? And if he is paired with a solid offensive mind, he’ll have a shot to completely turn his career around. However, he probably only gets one year to prove he is a starting QB in this league. 

IMO he is a below average QB, but has had a terrible supporting cast and bad coaching making him look worse. He also seems to have his worst games on prime time, which never helps PR.

I think he has some value as a reclamation project, but not much. I think he can be a high level backup, but doubt his ability to ever start as anything other than a QB around 20th-28th best. He just isn’t accurate enough. 

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

He has looked pretty good his last three games honestly, and may be in the middle of finally figuring things out, which would be great for him and I wish him well. However, Mitch has been atrocious all four years of his career and a Bottom 3 Starting QB. Unless he wins the Super Bowl, I don’t think it’d be wise for Chicago to keep him. He has held their franchise back for four years, and it’s time to let go. 

However, I do think Mitch will start somewhere next season. 49ers? Saints? Football Team? And if he is paired with a solid offensive mind, he’ll have a shot to completely turn his career around. However, he probably only gets one year to prove he is a starting QB in this league. 

Bottom 3???? Lol, c’mon now that’s a bit of a stretch. He wasn’t bottom 3 in 2018, and I don’t think he’s been bottom 3 this year either. 2019 he was cheeks but his problems seem to be consistency more than anything, and I think a good coach could get something out of him.

• Like 1

Far less accurate than Goff and Mayfield. Similar sort of issues, I think, with progressing through reads (fortunately for Mayfield and Goff they're both in good situations in terms of scheme now where you can just throw to first read often). So many of Mitch's balls are fired over heads though, I've noticed. Fundamental issue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Bottom 3???? Lol, c’mon now that’s a bit of a stretch. He wasn’t bottom 3 in 2018, and I don’t think he’s been bottom 3 this year either. 2019 he was cheeks but his problems seem to be consistency more than anything, and I think a good coach could get something out of him.

I’m guessing you don’t rank QBs too often. 2019, and the beginning of this year he’s #30 at absolute best. And that’s pretty universal among rankings from media guys too. 

You‘re underestimating how bad the guy was in 2019. He was absolutely horrendous. I still remember the legendary threads on here as well. 

Edited by BayRaider

Easy to forget with his hot streak...he still got benched this year for Nick Foles. PFF (take that FWIW..which is pretty much zero), but he's still among the league leaders in turnover worthy plays. I think he's probably a solid back up in the league though because I think the upside on a game to game basis is much higher than guys like Mike Glennon / Nick Mullens and guys like that...but he's still spotty at best in the accuracy department and still sees the field pretty poorly. 

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Far less accurate than Goff and Mayfield. Similar sort of issues, I think, with progressing through reads (fortunately for Mayfield and Goff they're both in good situations in terms of scheme now where you can just throw to first read often). So many of Mitch's balls are fired over heads though, I've noticed. Fundamental issue.

Yup, I agree with this 100%. Fundamental issues can be resolved with a complete overhaul of mechanics, but that's not something you can do in an off-season. It'll take a few years to rehab his technique. Who knows if anyone has that sort of patience?

He'll be an intriguing name if/when he's a FA. 

• Like 2