Is Mitchell Trubsiky really that bad?

Archimedes

44 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’m guessing you don’t rank QBs too often. 2019, and the beginning of this year he’s #30 at absolute best. And that’s pretty universal among rankings from media guys too. 

You‘re underestimating how bad the guy was in 2019. He was absolutely horrendous. I still remember the legendary threads on here as well. 

I literally said the guy sucked in 2019, not sure what you’re even arguing there.

He also absolutely wasn’t bottom 3 in 2018. He was bad to start the year this year, but again, you could make the argument that the Bears pulled the trigger on benching him too quickly and it cost them this season. In any event, it’s a stretch to say he’s been bottom 3 for the whole year this year.

Honestly, I'd want to see Trubisky succeed against some decent top half passing D's before I'd even consider hitching my wagon to him.   MIN/TEN/DET is a schedule that hides a LOT of QB warts...that show up as soon as even a decent pass D, or pass rush, appear.    And it's a horror show vs. D's that have both.

He’s inaccurate with so-so arm strength. The comparisons aren’t exactly fair but Mahomes and watson don’t sail the ball over people’s heads regularly either.

He was over drafted with a lot of expectations and hasn’t really handled it well so far. 

3 thoughts

1. Trubisky always has had hot streaks

2. I think a lot of this resurgence is about Nagy finally getting the run game going  and moving away from the dollar store magician tricks with Patterson and Cohen

3. The past 3 defenses they've played have been hot to mild garby

That said, I've compared him to Bortles in the past, and he could very well develop and be good, but I can see him continuing the Bortles way and get a 1 year deal and get benched again next year. Nagy's offense has been so frustrating to watch though, i really wish he'd get fired 

2 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

He really struggles to read the field. He has plenty of athleticism, but locks onto his first read way too hard. Add in injury issues and he's a guy you'd be better moving off than trying to win with.

Combine it with bad mechanics that lead to misses in accuracy it’s hard to trust that this 3-game stretch is anything but the bad-D success most QB’s encounter.    Then fall back to earth once better competition is seen.   Having said that JAX may keep the pattern going for 1 more week (but I did take Jax +7.5 lol).  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

He reminds me of Eli Manning in a weird way. He's capable of playing at a high level but can't seem to put it together with any consistency. Guys like that hang around the league for a long time but never keep a starting job for very long.

Actually now that I think of it, Ryan Fitzpatrick is a more apt comparison. 

I did see a lot of comparisons to Alex Smith when he came out. Honestly, think he could have a similar career to Smith. Where he’s a lot better later in his career than earlier. Surprisingly, I think Washington is a team that he would fit well on. Use Trubisky the same way they used Alex Smith, Theother being Carolina, if the Panthers move on from Teddy, they have the offensive talent to carry him by using McCaffery in the short passing game and Anderson and Moore as effective deep threats.

• Like 1