Is Mitchell Trubsiky really that bad?

Archimedes

19 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Combine it with bad mechanics that lead to misses in accuracy it’s hard to trust that this 3-game stretch is anything but the bad-D success most QB’s encounter.    Then fall back to earth once better competition is seen.   Having said that JAX may keep the pattern going for 1 more week (but I did take Jax +7.5 lol).  

I personally think it's mostly Nagy/Lazor admitting defeat and running simple rollout/PAs that only have half field reads and allow Trubisky to run if need be. But yes, this isn't a consistent gameplan that will win you a playoff game. Eventually the bears will fall behind and won't be able to alternate runs with play action passes.

• Like 1

I think Trubisky can be serviceable in the right system and a decent supporting cast. Chicago has really only given him Allen Robinson to work with, literally every other option the last four years has been subpar (typical of Chicago). Yeah, work on his mechanics and use him as he should be used and find a decent coach and he will be good. Not great ever but good. 

Any QB can do well when their running game gets 609 yards over 4 weeks.

• The Bears averaged 52.6 yards rushing when Trubisky was on the bench.
  • They averaged 146.1 per game in the Trubisky starts.

Feel free to heap praise on a QB who gets about 123 yards per game run support (Trubisky gets just over 23 a game himself) while facing bad teams.

He's faced

• Detroit x2
  • Minnesota
  • Houston
  • NY Giants
  • Atlanta

He has yet to start against a team that does not still has a shot at 10+ losses.

• 4 of those 6 teams fired their coach this year. (Detroit counts twice)
  • He got benched on merit against one of them

I bet he beats up the Jags this week too.

Lets see if he does the same to Green Bay with the playoffs on the line.

34 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

If you are talking about do you want him on a roster next year I think the answer is simple.

As a 5 million dollar backup with starter potential, absolutely.

As an 18-25 million starter, hard pass.

As it stands right now, he’d probably gets a Fitz type deal of 2 years 26M somewhere. But if he wins these next two games and makes the playoffs, and looks good those two games, finishing with 5 impressive games in a row, he might like a 3 year, 21M per year type deal from someone. 

32 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

As it stands right now, he’d probably gets a Fitz type deal of 2 years 26M somewhere. But if he wins these next two games and makes the playoffs, and looks good those two games, finishing with 5 impressive games in a row, he might like a 3 year, 21M per year type deal from someone. 

How he plays in the playoffs can always be a game changer. (he has to win 1 playoff game and look good in both at minimum)

He's got a long way to go in beating Green Bay and then winning in the playoffs. (no one is paying him because he beats up the Jags)

Mariota is worth 25 million a year if he wins the next 2, squeaks in and wins the Super Bowl  with 4 very good games.

Its a big IF for both guys.

If he does go on a playoff run then it would make sense that the Bears give him the Fitz++ at like 3 years and 40-45 base with lots of incentives and options.

7 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

How he plays in the playoffs can always be a game changer. (he has to win 1 playoff game and look good in both at minimum)

He's got a long way to go in beating Green Bay and then winning in the playoffs. (no one is paying him because he beats up the Jags)

Mariota is worth 25 million a year if he wins the next 2, squeaks in and wins the Super Bowl  with 4 very good games.

Its a big IF for both guys.

If he does go on a playoff run then it would make sense that the Bears give him the Fitz++ at like 3 years and 40-45 base with lots of incentives and options.

Lol Raiders would need to win both games, and Ravens lose both. I think all four of those games will go against the Raiders. 

Also, I hope Mariota starts, but Carr is trying to start this week. I’d rather see what we have in Mariota. 

On 12/23/2020 at 10:25 AM, SteelKing728 said:

He terrorizes Zimmer. I don't get him tbh. We can slow down Brady and Rodgers but not Trubisky.

It could be because Brady and Rodgers are chess players and Zimmer is scheming for that.  Trubisky is still learning to play checkers so maybe half of the things Zim throws out there to scare him are things he doesn't realize he should be scared of.  He just plays fundamental football and Mike Zimmer kind of forgets about that kind of thing.  Just a theory.  :D

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PacAttack04 said:

I did see a lot of comparisons to Alex Smith when he came out. Honestly, think he could have a similar career to Smith. Where he’s a lot better later in his career than earlier. Surprisingly, I think Washington is a team that he would fit well on. Use Trubisky the same way they used Alex Smith, Theother being Carolina, if the Panthers move on from Teddy, they have the offensive talent to carry him by using McCaffery in the short passing game and Anderson and Moore as effective deep threats.

Posted something similar on sunday

Below is the Trubisky vs Smith comparison

https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=TrubMi00&player_id2=SmitAl03

Below is a per game comparison

last 3 columns are rushing atts, yards and TD per game

Rk Player From To Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds Att Yds TD
1 Alex Smith 2005 2020 18.7 29.8 205.1 1.1 0.6 2.5 14.1 3.3 15.1 0.1
2 Mitchell Trubisky 2017 2020 19.5 30.8 206.0 1.3 0.7 2.3 14.3 3.7 20.6 0.1
  • Like 1

if you gave trubes mahomes’ situation he could be a top 15 guy i would say

now, if you give mahomes trubes’ situation he too would be a top 15 guy, and if you give mahomes mahomes’ situation then he’s a top 1 guy

so

i wouldn’t say trubes is bad bad however i would definitely say his ceiling’s a lot higher than what he’s shown, and with the right coaching staff he could still unlock it - but it just happens that particular staff already has their franchise guy

3 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

They’re really gonna let finishing strong down the stretch against horrible defenses be  the  reason for bring him back lol

They shouldn’t. Even if he goes 9-7 and wins a playoff game, they’ve already made way too big of a time commitment to him, to re-sign him over 5 games. You can’t let one player hold your franchise back so long. Time to let go. 

Edited by BayRaider