A XMAS MOCK (2021 LIONS)

Karnage84

Sometimes I just like using these mocks to flesh out some ideas and see how things might shake out. Using The Draft Network (TDN)'s Mock Draft Simulator. 

*This is not a full fledged off-season

NOTES

- The Lions decide to keep Matthew Stafford for the 2021 season as QB1

- Golloday is franchised

- The Lions start with the #11 pick in the draft. 

- QB's selected - Trevor Lawrence - #1 overall; Justin Fields - #2 overall

DRAFT

Trade - The Washington Football team trade for #11 (Zach Wilson) for #19, #76 (3), #120 (4)

19 (1) - Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota: Has all of the tools to be a legit WR1. Given the uncertainty of Kenny Golloday, Bateman gives certainty at the position and can be a nice target for #9

Trade - Detroit trades 2022 Rd1 and 2022 Rd4 with the Kansas City Chiefs for #32

32 (1) - Kyle Trask, QB, Florida: This is a move for the Lions QBOTF. A Stafford trade is going to net the team a similar return. It gives Trask tutelage under Stafford and it provides the Lions with a more capable back up in the short term. The key with this trade is securing the 5th year option.  He's a raw prospect without a ton of starts under his belt. Has prototypical size (6'5, 239). Heisman candidate while playing in the SEC. You could make a case for a Mac Jones or another guy in this spot as well. 

#43 (2) - Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama: The Lions are going to be in the middle of a complete rebuild on the defensive side of the ball. This starts with the defensive line, which has been ignored by the past regime and is a large part of the reason we're in the middle of a GM/coaching change. 

#75 (3)- Spencer Brown, RT, Northern Iowa: Bob Quinn did a pretty decent job overall in building up the offensive line. It did take some time and there was a lot of effort made but it is one of the better units in the league. With that being said, there are still some parts that need to be shored up. The plan at RT didn't exactly pan out. Highly priced FA Vaitai is probably a better fit at OG. Brown is a big, athletic dude that has played primarily on the right side at Northern Iowa. Crosby has played decently but not enough to secure his spot while DL convert Matt Nelson is still getting his feet wet as an offensive player. 

#76 (3) - Merlin Robertson, LB, Arizona State: A big, athletic LB with coverage ability. Paired up with Collins, this should help bring the unit up for 2021. Probably not the last new LB we'll wind up adding. 

#112 (4) - Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State: This adds a deep threat and helps to round out the WR corp. KG, Bateman (R), Cephus, Wallace (R) is a better foursome than we've had for some time and there's a nice foundation for the future even without KG (if he chooses not to come back in 2022)

#120 (4) - Zamir White, RB, Georgia: Outside of D'Andre Swift, the Lions really do not have anything else at RB. Fellow Bulldog offers up a lot of skills to be a 3 down back. For a team that has struggled for years running the ball, ignoring the RB position would be a step back. 

#151 (5) - Dante Stills, DT, West Virginia: Athletic and versatile d-lineman. Just adds another piece and may be a potential replacement for D'Shawn Hand

#172 (5) - Olaijah Griffin, CB, USC: The last few weeks we've seen a revolving door at the CB position. This just adds another guy into the mix. 

SUMMARY

When listening to a few different GM's talk over the years, one thing that has stood out is the concept of emphasizing one side of the ball and then building up the other side. This draft does focus on the offense for both 2021, 2022 and beyond: immediate impact players - future WR1, starting RT and QBOTF,  plus key depth. Defensively, we've added multiple pieces to the defensive line and a starting LB. In 2022, we can pull a Matt Rhule and just throw all of the picks onto the defense. 

45 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I'm not with it. If Zach Wilson is there which he won't be, you take the better qb over the inferior qb and extra picks.

BTW I'm calling my shot now - Wilson will go before Fields, could be #2 overall.

I'm not 100% sold on any QB that isn't TL at this point. Wilson hasn't played against great talent. This is the first year he's really taken off. Not that he couldn't/isn't a great player but I don't think the book can really be written on him just yet. 

We could also just roll with: Take Wilson at #11 (if he's there) and then trade up for the dynamic weapon (Bateman or if we wanted to use someone like Pitts as a WR or a Waller-esque style TE). 

2 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Then you don't take one at all.

It's December. The draft is in April. There's plenty of time to get to that point. We should be planning for a life after Stafford. 

This mock is more about philosophy/position groups with a little mix of guys that seem intriguing to me regardless of scheme fit. 

17 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I'm not with it. If Zach Wilson is there which he won't be, you take the better qb over the inferior qb and extra picks.

BTW I'm calling my shot now - Wilson will go before Fields, could be #2 overall.

Blasphmy. Rumors.... From people I trust alot....!!!! (Ring siren). Dude's a spoiled rich kid. Bad attitude. Selfish.

I've personally always liked Kyle Trask and he's worked his way up to that 2nd or even 3rd rank for QB. People will freak for not having Justin Fields higher but I'm not sold on him being elite. Looks like a bigger Tyrod Taylor sometimes to me. Where I compare Trask to someone like Phillip Rivers. Just my opinions though, doesn't mean much.

As for the mock. Don't hate it or love it. Bateman will be solid imo but he'll be a Chris Hogan type wideout imo. Good #2 guy, possession, but Lions really, really need a speedy guy that can stretch the field deep. But, franchising Golladay/drafting Bateman would be solid tandem and hard to whine about.

Love Trask, think he'll go higher really... but I'd be really happy.

Don't like Baremore for some reason, but you took some fliers/swings on high upside guys so I can't be mad at that later in the draft.

Edited by SimbaWho

18 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I had previously watched some game tape of Wilson (can't recall the game) but had not come out overly impressed. Watched some 2019 clips and had the same feeling. Watched 2020 highlights and I could see where you were coming from. Big arm making throws across the field. Level of competition is still a concern for me but that's a major question mark for Trey Lance. Playing at Alabama hasn't done much for the careers of AJ Mccareon or Greg McElroy. 

It feels like you're going to be right and that Fields is going to slip out of the QB2 spot. 

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

Blasphmy. Rumors.... From people I trust alot....!!!! (Ring siren). Dude's a spoiled rich kid. Bad attitude. Selfish.

I've personally always liked Kyle Trask and he's worked his way up to that 2nd or even 3rd rank for QB. People will freak for not having Justin Fields higher but I'm not sold on him being elite. Looks like a bigger Tyrod Taylor sometimes to me. Where I compare Trask to someone like Phillip Rivers. Just my opinions though, doesn't mean much.

As for the mock. Don't hate it or love it. Bateman will be solid imo but he'll be a Chris Hogan type wideout imo. Good #2 guy, possession, but Lions really, really need a speedy guy that can stretch the field deep. But, franchising Golladay/drafting Bateman would be solid tandem and hard to whine about.

Love Trask, think he'll go higher really... but I'd be really happy.

Don't like Baremore for some reason, but you took some fliers/swings on high upside guys so I can't be mad at that later in the draft.

That's the thing for me... your old school QB has taken a hit in value because they're going to sit in the pocket and just throw the ball. They aren't going to have that dynamic running ability which teams have to account for and fear. It doesn't mean they're going to be a bad QB. As long as the guy has enough wheels to get out of trouble then I'm ok with not having Lamar Jackson in the pocket. 

Wilson vs Fields: I don't know if you guys watched QB1 but Fields did NOT come off looking good in that series. Jake Fromm and Sam Hartman both seemed like good guys. Fields, Tate Martell and even Spencer Rattler (Oklahoma QB) come off as arrogant and entitled. I've never heard anything about Wilson off the field- good or bad. He is at BYU so he does have to go the extra mile with the honour code, etc. 

On 12/24/2020 at 8:54 AM, Karnage84 said:

That's the thing for me... your old school QB has taken a hit in value because they're going to sit in the pocket and just throw the ball. They aren't going to have that dynamic running ability which teams have to account for and fear. It doesn't mean they're going to be a bad QB. As long as the guy has enough wheels to get out of trouble then I'm ok with not having Lamar Jackson in the pocket. 

Wilson vs Fields: I don't know if you guys watched QB1 but Fields did NOT come off looking good in that series. Jake Fromm and Sam Hartman both seemed like good guys. Fields, Tate Martell and even Spencer Rattler (Oklahoma QB) come off as arrogant and entitled. I've never heard anything about Wilson off the field- good or bad. He is at BYU so he does have to go the extra mile with the honour code, etc. 

Well, Just remember I said that about Wilson.

I have a good friend inside an NFL organization and we talk once or twice a week. When we talked draft last... That is what was said about Wilson. So, it's a rumor among some NFL circles. I've never met the kid, lol, so i don't actually know, just conveying the rumor.

2 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Well, Just remember I said that about Wilson.

I have a good friend inside an NFL organization and we talk once or twice a week. When we talked draft last... That is what was said about Wilson. So, it's a rumor among some NFL circles. I've never met the kid, lol, so i don't actually know, just conveying the rumor.

Interesting point. Fields falls into the same category IMO so it would be interesting to see how that shakes out.