A XMAS MOCK (2021 LIONS)

On 12/27/2020 at 8:32 PM, diehardlionfan said:

I really like Wilson. If they decide to go QB I wouldn’t be upset with his selection. But as superduperman already pointed out he won’t be there. The Lions currently pick 7th. 

They could go as high as #3. If/when we lose next week to Minnesota, I believe we're on track for #3 based on SOS.

8 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

They could go as high as #3. If/when we lose next week to Minnesota, I believe we're on track for #3 based on SOS.

I can’t remember everyone’s schedule. 🤠 I have to go have another look. 

I don’t see it. I could see the Lions moving up to 5 but 3 requires to many upsets.

15 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I can’t remember everyone’s schedule. 🤠 I have to go have another look. 

I don’t see it. I could see the Lions moving up to 5 but 3 requires to many upsets.

Could be right... even if we do hit on the top 5, there's several guys who would be upgrades to what is currently on the roster at a couple different spots. We could be seeing the changing of the guard (eventually) with a new QBOTF (Fields, Wilson, Lance), a future WR1 (Chase, D. Smith, J. Waddle), pass-rusher (Rousseau), defensive playmaker (Parsons) or offensive line help (Sewell). 

We could also trade down, add a few picks and add one of these guys into the mix. That defense is going to need a lot of help. 

13 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Could be right... even if we do hit on the top 5, there's several guys who would be upgrades to what is currently on the roster at a couple different spots. We could be seeing the changing of the guard (eventually) with a new QBOTF (Fields, Wilson, Lance), a future WR1 (Chase, D. Smith, J. Waddle), pass-rusher (Rousseau), defensive playmaker (Parsons) or offensive line help (Sewell). 

We could also trade down, add a few picks and add one of these guys into the mix. That defense is going to need a lot of help. 

If they lose they will be picking at an interesting spot. Lots of options are possible. I could see Washington calling and wanting Stafford, or the pick. If nothing else the season has produced what will be a very active off season. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, cp0k2 said:

Trading next year's first to move up for Trask...I would vomit. 

It's super early right now in the process. Justin Herbert was thought to be a distant 3rd this year and might wind up being the best QB of this class. Mahomes and Watson are both mid-1st picks. 

It might not even be Trask persay - we could be looking at Mac Jones, Jamie Newman and other guys that climb up the rankings. This exercise is more about process - drafting to help load up one side of the ball (in this case the offense) for the short and long term, adding a QBOTF and then beginning the process of a wholesale defensive turnaround. 

Also keep in mind - Stafford is still on this roster. Trading him either mid-season or in the 2022 off-season is going to net back a 1st rd +. 

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

It's super early right now in the process. Justin Herbert was thought to be a distant 3rd this year and might wind up being the best QB of this class. Mahomes and Watson are both mid-1st picks. 

It might not even be Trask persay - we could be looking at Mac Jones, Jamie Newman and other guys that climb up the rankings. This exercise is more about process - drafting to help load up one side of the ball (in this case the offense) for the short and long term, adding a QBOTF and then beginning the process of a wholesale defensive turnaround. 

Also keep in mind - Stafford is still on this roster. Trading him either mid-season or in the 2022 off-season is going to net back a 1st rd +. 

I don't see Stafford netting a 1st round pick. He'll be 33 this season or 34 in 2022 with a lot of wear and tear. Plus, he's not going to play the 2023 season under his current contract, so he'd need to be extended or cut by 2022. Extending him would mean overpaying him, cutting him means you can't trade him. And if the Lions spent the capital to acquire Trask (or Jones, Newman, etc.) that you suggested, teams are going to know Detroit has to get rid of Stafford further decreasing his value.

As for trading back into the first round for a QB, if you're going to spend next year's first round pick, why not trade up near the top and get Wilson or Fields instead of trading up to the bottom of the round hoping you're going to get a Mahomes (drafted #10 overall) or Herbert (drafted #6 overall) at #32?

1 minute ago, cp0k2 said:

I don't see Stafford netting a 1st round pick. He'll be 33 this season or 34 in 2022 with a lot of wear and tear. Plus, he's not going to play the 2023 season under his current contract, so he'd need to be extended or cut by 2022. Extending him would mean overpaying him, cutting him means you can't trade him. And if the Lions spent the capital to acquire Trask (or Jones, Newman, etc.) that you suggested, teams are going to know Detroit has to get rid of Stafford further decreasing his value.

As for trading back into the first round for a QB, if you're going to spend next year's first round pick, why not trade up near the top and get Wilson or Fields instead of trading up to the bottom of the round hoping you're going to get a Mahomes (drafted #10 overall) or Herbert (drafted #6 overall) at #32?

There are guys that have been drafted towards the bottom of the first round that have worked out quite well - Lamar Jackson was recently drafted at #32.

We could always do the reverse and draft a QB high and trade back into the 1st to grab a WR. My draft includes a trade down to add extra assets and also avoids trading our 2nd round pick for this year in order to move up. 

If you have a team in a similar situation as the WFT are right now and a guy like Stafford is available by the trade deadline then his cost will go up. Draft picks are always cheapest mid-season. Teams are generally much more willing to trade a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. in order to make a potentially season altering move while another team has decided to build for the future. 

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

My under-the-radar QB selection:  Jamie Neumann.  

She’s a really talented lady but I didn’t know she played football. 🤠

Weak humour aside that’s a really interesting thought. He’s certainly a name to watch. I think someone is going to get intrigued and take him earlier than what all the draft articles are suggesting.

20 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

She’s a really talented lady but I didn’t know she played football. 🤠

Weak humour aside that’s a really interesting thought. He’s certainly a name to watch. I think someone is going to get intrigued and take him earlier than what all the draft articles are suggesting.

Sorry.  Jamie Newman.

• Like 1