Week 16 GDT - Arizona Cardinals vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Harris would have been responsible for a deep Kirk TD but got lucky Murray had pressure in his face. His half would have been completely different if they convert that. 

Lol, Shanahan is probably like this is why I don't try to score before halftime ever! 

Yeah because Harris sucks in coverage especially against a true speedster like Kirk. But for Harris not giving up a play every 3 downs is a big plus for him.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

But how does Beathard fumble that? Are the hands of his and Mullens that small? He shouldn't have fumbled there, elbow got hit not hand. 

I think if you try to throw it and your arm gets pulled back it gets pretty hard to hold on to that ball. You hand has forward momentum with your elbow getting dragged back.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But how does Beathard fumble that? Are the hands of his and Mullens that small? He shouldn't have fumbled there, elbow got hit not hand. 

Yeah, but they are backups for a reason. I can't keep having a starting RT beat line that on final minute drives

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

I think if you try to throw it and your arm gets pulled back it gets pretty hard to hold on to that ball. You hand has forward momentum with your elbow getting dragged back.

Oh yeah. The nose of the ball completely changed trajectory in his hand while pulled back. He clearly did not have control at that point

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

I'm not questioning that it is hard, but the ball slipped far too easily there. Any QB with decent hands doesn't fumble there.

Beathard will turn it over again very soon. Then it will be Rosen time week 17! 

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

Beathard nearly gets pick sixed then fumbles the ball. 

Just in case you thought he could still be a competent backup 

I really hope we see Rosen at some point before the season is over

I think the standard for competent backup are really hard to quantify. Beathard and Mullens aren't great but i would say they aren't worst then more than half of the back-ups on other teams. We just have seen them play way more than other back-ups have. Besides if you want a quality back-up they usually end up pretty expensive for a guy you actually prefer to not have to use and if your first QB goes down for an extended period do you prefer to have a guy that can keep you afloat or a developmental guy who may or may not be ready. I agree with letting Beathard and Mullens go this year because the price tag would go up for both i would guess and they haven't shown the potential to become a starter but quality back-ups that can actually look good for an extended period are like a needle in a haystack.

• Like 1

Just now, Justone2 said:

I think the standard for competent backup are really hard to quantify. Beathard and Mullens aren't great but i would say they aren't worst then more than half of the back-ups on other teams. We just have seen them play way more than other back-ups have. Besides if you want a quality back-up they usually end up pretty expensive for a guy you actually prefer to not have to use and if your first QB goes down for an extended period do you prefer to have a guy that can keep you afloat or a developmental guy who may or may not be ready. I agree with letting Beathard and Mullens go this year because the price tag would go up for both i would guess and they haven't shown the potential to become a starter but quality back-ups that can actually look good for an extended period are like a needle in a haystack.

Yeah, people tend to forget to look around at the backups of other teams. It's relevant. 

Mullens will be out next year with the TJS anyway, so I expect both backup spots to turn over

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not questioning that it is hard, but the ball slipped far too easily there. Any QB with decent hands doesn't fumble there.

Beathard will turn it over again very soon. Then it will be Rosen time week 17! 

Beathard has 9 3/8 which is almost the same as someone like Mahomes. I honestly think those types of fumbles look so much easier to hold on to them. 

4 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

This is fair. I still think the perfect backup is Shaun Hill. Solid game manager type who can move the ball downfield at times, limited by arm strength, but won't make killer turnovers.