Week 16 GDT - Arizona Cardinals vs San Francisco 49ers

Just now, 49ersfan said:

If Gould made all his kicks we win by 2 TD's. 

Speaking of Gould, a decision his contract option is due before next Sunday. Would you guys gona exercise the option or no?

My gut instinct is no, but Gould is still a great kicker. Not sure it stays that way, but I'm of the opinion it's time to stretch pennies and if that means taking a kicker with a fifth round pick (high-ish) then that would mean moving on from Gould. 

4 minutes ago, John232 said:

Feel like if we finish 6-10 we'll still end up around a top 10 pick, iirc. 

Embarrassing loss for the Cardinals though.  Props to the entire coaching staff. Great game start to finish despite throwing PS dudes out there. I don't like the win from a draft perspective but taking one on a divisional foe and doing it in dominant fashion. Love to see it. 

Not this year and not with us losing the sos battle to almost anyone. We are probably picking 13-15. We were only 12 as it was. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not this year and not with us losing the sos battle to almost anyone. We are probably picking 13-15. We were only 12 as it was. 

A trade up from 9-10 to 2 would have been expensive but doable. A move up from 15 to 2 would probably require a prohibitive amount of assets thats just not feasible. 

Since Lawrence/Wilson/Fields are out of the picture, i'm gona guess we'll be in play for Lance/Trask/Jones in the draft. Or, Ryan/Stafford via trade. Or, run it back with Jimmy G and get Darnold as insurance.

Even though we're 6-9 and banged up to high hell, we only have a point differential of -11. 

The Vikings at 6-9 are -47, Broncos at 5-9 are -119, etc 

We should be a lot more dangerous when we're healthy next season. See the difference getting one elite player (Kittle) has,  now see what happens when we get Bosa and a QB who doesn't commit multiple turnovers a game

12 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Even though we're 6-9 and banged up to high hell, we only have a point differential of -11. 

The Vikings at 6-9 are -47, Broncos at 5-9 are -119, etc 

We should be a lot more dangerous when we're healthy next season. See the difference getting one elite player (Kittle) has,  now see what happens when we get Bosa and a QB who doesn't commit multiple turnovers a game

Except we don't know if Trent is back, the entire secondary is a free agent, etc. That's the problem. We are hemorrhaging talent this off season and we don't know how we are replacing it yet

Just now, Forge said:

Except we don't know if Trent is back, the entire secondary is a free agent, etc. That's the problem. We are hemorrhaging talent this off season and we don't know how we are replacing it yet

I'd be shocked if Trent wasn't back. Secondary is more of a question mark though, for sure

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

I'd be shocked if Trent wasn't back. Secondary is more of a question mark though, for sure

If we keep Jimmy, it becomes a bigger problem because we can't get up with teams financially. Bakh is a similar level talent and didn't hit free agency. 23 million per season with a 20 million first year cap hit. It's problematic for sure. 

15 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Happy for the coaches/players at least. Guessing any QB taken is going to be in the 2nd round and below. Oh well. 

And we stuck it to possibly two, not one, division rival (we opened another avenue where the Rams don't make it lol)

4 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Trent is a free agent we can't tag. We can only do so much to bring him back. 

We don't have a choice but to try obviously, but he may decide to go somewhere else and there would be nothing we could do about it 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Forge said:

Yeah, not saying they need to pick his option up but I wouldn't let one bad game be the deciding factor.

So I didn't know this was actually a thing, but Bucs fans are ticked Warner made the Pro Bowl over Devin White. What the hell? White always has flashy stats but dude looks straight up bad in coverage half the time. Warner isn't used as a blitzer as much as him but he's literally the best coverage backer in the game. Often times is isolated with WRs in the slot and holds his own. That really surprised me. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, not saying they need to pick his option up but I wouldn't let one bad game be the deciding factor.

So I didn't know this was actually a thing, but Bucs fans are ticked Warner made the Pro Bowl over Devin White. What the hell? White always has flashy stats but dude looks straight up bad in coverage half the time. Warner isn't used as a blitzer as much as him but he's literally the best coverage backer in the game. Often times is isolated with WRs in the slot and holds his own. That really surprised me. 

He has a lot of sacks, lots of tackles. For people who aren't hardcore into game analytics, that's more than enough to cry foul over it

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

He has a lot of sacks, lots of tackles. For people who aren't hardcore into game analytics, that's more than enough to cry foul over it

Like I just kept seeing that floating around from even the Bucs beat writers. That's just embarrassing. Beat writers should know better. Fans? Okay fine, they really only look at the raw stats and don't know all the nuances. But a beat writer from The Athletic? No excuse at all.