Who are the top 10 QB’s?

bigbadbuff

39 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Ok my list wasn't serious but I can't see any justification whatsoever for putting any of these guys over Tannehill.

Brady isn't better than Tannehill right now, either, but I guess you could use a "he's been playing at a high level for a long time" argument. That doesn't fly for the others, whose sample size of being in the discussion are about as small, except have been worse than Tannehill.

Mayfield being in the Top 6 is laughable. Even the Top 10. Can he get there? Sure. But right now there is a bare minimum 12-13 guys easily over Mayfield. Minimum. The Big Four, Tannehil, Ryan, Brady, Prescott, Allen, Lamar, and I’d also put Brees, Murray, Stafford, and Carr ahead of Mayfield. 

The recency bias on this forum is incredible. Mayfield has been good, what, his past several games? And one season to boot. 

Around Week 5-6, Mayfield was about 20th on every QB list out there. 

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Mayfield being in the Top 6 is laughable. Even the Top 10. Can he get there? Sure. But right now there is a bare minimum 12-13 guys easily over Mayfield. Minimum. The Big Four, Tannehil, Ryan, Brady, Prescott, Allen, Lamar, and I’d also put Brees, Murray, Stafford, and Carr ahead of Mayfield. 

The recency bias on this forum is incredible. Mayfield has been good, what, his past several games? And one season to boot. 

Around Week 5-6, Mayfield was about 20th on every QB list out there. 

Yeah, after week 6 Mayfield had 10 TD and 5 INT. Then again, in Carr's last 6 he has 8 TD and 5 INT While Mayfield is at 10-1 so things have changed.

Mayfield gets punished for last season under a terrible circumstance, and that's fair to a degree. He has been good 2 of 3 seasons but most judge him by the one bad year. He just needs time to prove 2019 was out of his control. I think he did well to finish it as well as he did.

Okay, I'm gonna try to do this two different ways. Both assume a completely neutral/standard/average team, and that injuries suffered this season are healed just fine. Both lists have the players in tiers, but the names within the tiers are NOT necessarily in order.

If I had to win THIS SEASON, right now...

Patrick Mahomes

Aaron Rodgers

Russell Wilson

Josh Allen

Deshaun Watson

Lamar Jackson

Kyler Murray

Ryan Tannehill

Dak Prescott

Tom Brady

If I had to pick a quarterback to start a franchise with going forward

Patrick Mahomes

Russell Wilson

Deshaun Watson

Josh Allen

Joe Burrow

Aaron Rodgers

Justin Herbert

Dak Prescott

Lamar Jakson

Kyler Murray

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, after week 6 Mayfield had 10 TD and 5 INT. Then again, in Carr's last 6 he has 8 TD and 5 INT While Mayfield is at 10-1 so things have changed.

Mayfield gets punished for last season under a terrible circumstance, and that's fair to a degree. He has been good 2 of 3 seasons but most judge him by the one bad year. He just needs time to prove 2019 was out of his control. I think he did well to finish it as well as he did.

QB Rankings are not about one season though. Especially when that QB has only had one good season. 

Gotta prove yourself in this league, because we’ve seen a million QBs have one good or great season. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:
  1. Mahomes
  2. Rodgers
  3. Wilson
  4. Watson
  5. Brady
  6. Allen
  7. Lamar
  8. Carr
  9. Tannehill
  10. Dak

HMs- Ryan, Brees, Stafford, Kyler

Swap Carr and Ryan, and this would be somewhat similar to mine. 

The HM’s are about what I would have from 11-14. 

Edited by BayRaider

4 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Mahomes

Rodgers

Wilson

Watson

Allen

Jackson

Tannehill

Dak

Murray

I feel good about saying those are my top 9. After that....idk Baker? Stafford? Ryan? Goff? Brady?

Sorry, but Deshaun Watson isn't worth anything near 160 million.  

You're going to learn that with time.  

31 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

QB Rankings are not about one season though. Especially when that QB has only had one good season. 

Gotta prove yourself in this league, because we’ve seen a million QBs have one good or great season. 

Well I think you have to count Baker's rookie season as at least good. If not, then Carr hasn't been good the majority of his career. (less than 94 rating)

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

Well I think you have to count Baker's rookie season as at least good. If not, then Carr hasn't been good the majority of his career. (less than 94 rating)

I’m not that high on Carr, he’s around 14 for me. But Baker is in that Middle of the Pack 16 range. 

Probably best to wait until the offseason, but I think my list would look something like:

1. Mahomes

2a. Rodgers
2b. Wilson
4. Watson

5a. Lamar
5b. Tannehill

7a. Mayfield
7b. Allen
7c. Prescott

10a. Brees
10b. Rivers
10c. Brady

HMs:
Justin Herbert
Kyler Murray

I still need more information to determine my bunches, but to this point this is how I’d rank it. Baker has shown me that within an offense with a good OL and a good enough OC- as most QBs on this list, he’s a top 10 QB. He entered the conversation as a rookie and this season he has confirmed that he belongs in the top 10 conversation- at worst.

With this season almost over, no way I’m taking Brady, Rivers, and Brees over the 7s (moving forward). Outside of that, it’s close enough between the 7s and 10s, that I’ll give the edge to age in this circumstance.

I’m taking my HMs over the 10s moving forward as long as they can duplicate their results to a similar enough level next season, but their seasons to this point just aren’t good enough to confidently put them above the GOATs. Though in Murray’s case, I think his shoulder injury is largely to do with that. Without that, he’s probably right there in my 7’s bunch. Still not too late for him to get there however, season isn’t over.

Missed Out:
Stafford
Carr
Ryan

These guys have all been in the league for a hot minute and what have they accomplished over the last three seasons for me to consider them above the names above? None have made a pro bowl within the last three years, so they’re not producing the personal accolades. They play the most important position, yet their teams haven’t been in the playoffs the last three seasons (or more), so their impact isn’t being felt in the team production column. And Ryan, who many probably will have the biggest issue with, has had passer ratings the last two seasons of: 92.1 and 91.2 while throwing to Calvin Ridley, Julio Jones, and either Hurst/Hooper.

There’s just little justification for me to NOT use “recency bias” to place these young guys above them. Allen has led his team to playoff births the last two seasons and after a below average rookie season, a mediocre second season, and has balled out this year. Baker had a great rookie season, a bad second season, and has had a great season this year.

This isn’t recency bias, this is a what have you done for me lately league and Baker has like a 80% chance of leading a team that prior to his arrival had only won 1 game in two years... to the playoffs for the first time in almost 20 years.

EDIT: Honestly forgot to add Rivers. Was a brain fart there. He’d slot in with the other old timers.

Edited by diamondbull424
Clarifying language