ANTONIO GIBSON update

26 minutes ago, Woz said:

That is a mistake.

@Thaiphoon, correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you are 100% back from turf toe, you don't "give it a go." This is one of those injuries that just lingers unless you give it tons of rest. As much as I want Gibson on the field, I want him on the team for a long time coming. If his toe isn't ready, don't force him out there.

Sunday is essentially a playoff game for WFT. It needs to be treated as such. He’ll have 6 or 7 months to rest it after the playoff game.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Sunday is essentially a playoff game for WFT. It needs to be treated as such. He’ll have 6 or 7 months to rest it after the playoff game.

Essentially a ayoffplay game != actual ayoffplay game

If you want to risk the long term return on Gibson for a possible crown now, you do you. I'm not down with that.

If nothing else, wouldn't you want him healthy for an actual ayoffplay game?

14 minutes ago, Woz said:

Essentially a ayoffplay game != actual ayoffplay game

If you want to risk the long term return on Gibson for a possible crown now, you do you. I'm not down with that.

If nothing else, wouldn't you want him healthy for an actual ayoffplay game?

It’s not like he’d be playing with a major knee injury like Shanahan stupidly played RG3 through. If Gibby doesn’t look right, I trust Rivera to take him out.

22 hours ago, Woz said:

That is a mistake.

@Thaiphoon, correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you are 100% back from turf toe, you don't "give it a go." This is one of those injuries that just lingers unless you give it tons of rest. As much as I want Gibson on the field, I want him on the team for a long time coming. If his toe isn't ready, don't force him out there.

You are correct. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 9:41 PM, turtle28 said:

It’s not like he’d be playing with a major knee injury like Shanahan stupidly played RG3 through. If Gibby doesn’t look right, I trust Rivera to take him out.

No, but he would be aggravating the injury and harming himself for both the Panthers game and any future ones. Just warming up and testing the toe is dicey.

It really depends on the grade of the sprain. I’ve had turf toes I could play through as the hurt but just slowly healed and I’ve had them where walking was painful. If he can cut its good enough that doesn’t mean there isn’t pain. But once it gets too a point you have to start moving on it. Because it’s going to hurt for the first two or three weeks once you get started going on it again and it slowly goes away. If it’s to the point you can go on it then we shall see. If he can’t walk run or even plant on his foot keep him out don’t let him do damage to the cartilage.

5 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I thought Gibson was going to look hobbled out there and re-injure himself, I gotta credit Gibson and the medical staff. He looked full speed and played great. If we didn’t have an early deficit he would have went over 100 yards. 

He looked well but we couldn’t even look functional outside of him and OL play with Haskins in and Steven sims doing Steven Simms ST things!!! This teams coach needs to be fired we field balls inside the 10 let kickoffs go and barely clear the end zone they look like trash outside of Tress Way doing his thing

16 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

He looked well but we couldn’t even look functional outside of him and OL play with Haskins in and Steven sims doing Steven Simms ST things!!! This teams coach needs to be fired we field balls inside the 10 let kickoffs go and barely clear the end zone they look like trash outside of Tress Way doing his thing

You can only lead a horse to water, you can’t make him drink.

• Like 1

Obviously a lot of the blame has been parceled out for the game, primarily to Haskins and Sims, and that’s deserved. But there’s another culprit here that we need to discuss. 

Our second half playcalling broke down as follows: 39 passes, 2 runs. Yes, there were a couple times that Heinie ran with it, but those were scrambles, not designed runs. 

I get that they were behind. Pretty significantly. But we couldn’t throw the ball AT ALL for much of the game, and we were having significant success with the run game. The RBs combined for 86 yards on their 15 carries (5.6 Y/A). How do you not mix in a few runs to keep the LBs and safeties honest (as well as the DL for that matter)? Probably like 40% or more of their pass plays involve some form of playaction, which is a good thing, but it doesn’t mean quite as much when everyone in the building knows you’re not actually going to run it.

It happened several times that I was yelling at the TV for him to run it, but there was one play in particular that really got me. 2nd and 1 at the Carolina 5, 4:30 left, down 20-6. Why they didn’t run the ball there, I have absolutely no idea. It was so obvious — get on the ball in a hurry, don’t let them substitute, just a quick off tackle run or something with McKissic. Worst case scenario, you don’t get it. But you probably get the first down at least and you might score without having to ask your 4th string QB to throw it into the endzone. 

Instead, they tried to throw it and 4th string QB fell down, starting the chain of errors that led to 4th and 18. 

I guess the pass-crazy thing has worked for them a couple times when they’ve fallen way behind and needed to come back. But lord, you can’t go 39 passes to 2 runs with this personnel and expect to frequently come out ahead in the long run. 

• Like 2

@e16bball I’m right there with ya. I was so upset with the playcalling. They were having success running the ball, even Barber had a nice run. I don’t know why Turner doesn’t run it more, I don’t know why he doesn’t run it more inside the 10 yardline. I have NO clue what Rivera sees in him! Turner needs to be fired just like Haskins was.

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

How do you not mix in a few runs to keep the LBs and safeties honest (as well as the DL for that matter)?

Quite simple: you pass on first down and either it goes incomplete or for barely any yards. 2nd & long, need to get something here, dial up a flare pass ... but they were expecting that. 3rd & mid to long, too far to make it on the ground, let's go through the air ... crap, incomplete. Punt it away and reset.

Repeat ad nauseum.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

@e16bball I’m right there with ya. I was so upset with the playcalling. They were having success running the ball, even Barber had a nice run. I don’t know why Turner doesn’t run it more, I don’t know why he doesn’t run it more inside the 10 yardline. I have NO clue what Rivera sees in him! Turner needs to be fired just like Haskins was.

Especially when the qb is struggling.  It is as if Turner had a game plan he forced rather than reading the game.  

18 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Especially when the qb is struggling.  It is as if Turner had a game plan he forced rather than reading the game.  

Look, Dwayne Haskins obviously failed this season in just about every way possible but the offense they’ve designed and it being pass first with not enough balance running the ball failed Haskins and therefore the team as well.

I never ever understood why they didn’t have a run first attack to help a young and developing QB have easier passes to complete off of play action. I absolutely hate Turner’s playcalling. This offense sucks, I’m not sure if we can win with it at all unless we had a pro bowl QB.