? Week Six: Bucs (2-2) @ Cardinals (2-3)

bucsfan333

Anyone else watch Koetter's 16 min PC posted this afternoon? Two BIG takeaways.

1. The team is not focused.

2. Koetter doesn't know why we are playing so poorly.

Addressing the first point. Koetter was asked about how TJ Ward mentioned he felt like some younger secondary players took the trip to AZ as a vacation and not a business trip. Koetter didn't refute it and mentioned when he has that gut feeling that guys aren't focused he addresses it. He was asked again at the end if ping pong tables and rap music in the facility is contributing to a lack of focus. So it's extreamly apparent guys aren't taking football seriously right now. That's coaching and team discipline. Koetter and co and our captains need to get that under control. 

To the second point, it looks like there is little self evaluation from Koetter and a lot of clueless about what's wrong with this team. To state the obvious, that's not good. Koetter should hand the playcalling duties to Monken like McAdoo did to Sullivan for the Giants. Koetter just needs to focus on being the HC and managing a game.

Regarding WInston: I am going to give him till the rest of the year until I write him off. Now, if he starts 2018 season with same crap: can't hit open deep receivers, forces passes left and right, then ya he is not going to take us anywhere.

Not trying to be mega negative but his play is concerning. He is in his 3rd year with same playbook. He has so many weapons around him, there is legit no excuses left. Now is the time a good franchise QB would step up. As far as Koetter goes, he is not to be blamed. He does a good job calling plays and creating mismatches that gets our guys open. It's not his fault that Winston cannot hit them. Koetter cannot go out there and put on a helmet and play for him. It's not coincedence that Fitzpatrick comes in and hits 3 TD's and shreds their defense. That is Koetter preparing a good offense after much study of the Cards D. Winston on the other hand again just cannot get it done at the moment.

I know it sounds like I am crossing him off the list but I am not, I know there could be other factors which is why I said I will wait till 2018 season to start looking at what next QB prospect is coming out.

Let's see how he does against Bills with a banged up shoulder.

17 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I think Donovan Smith had two penalties. I have no idea how he did blocking. I know PFF hasn't graded him very well overall. 

His run blocking was atrocious on Sunday. I think Chandler Jones got the best out of him too but he didn't completely play like dog crap. He's average right now and that is putting it lightly.

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I think our line has done a good job. 

Yes winston must progress this year. He is holding this offense back. We can pin it on Dirk all we want but he's not executing. It's not his fault winston is struggling to hit guys. 

His game management decisions have been awful though. Winston hasn't been consistent but DK coaching decisions are baffling at times. Both guys are to blame for the 2-3 start.

12 minutes ago, indifference said:

His game management decisions have been awful though. Winston hasn't been consistent but DK coaching decisions are baffling at times. Both guys are to blame for the 2-3 start.

The defense didn't help against Minnesota and Arizona. And our kicking woes are well documented. We can't only blame the offense. We've been a bad team this year in four games. It's tough to win like that.

3 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

The defense didn't help against Minnesota and Arizona. And our kicking woes are well documented. We can't only blame the offense. We've been a bad team this year in four games. It's tough to win like that.

The defense isn't playing well either. But you can also say the offense going three and out and missing tons of opportunities isn't helping the defense out either. Opposing teams are beating us with TOP while we struggle to move the ball especially early in ball games. 

2 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

The defense isn't playing well either. But you can also say the offense going three and out and missing tons of opportunities isn't helping the defense out either. Opposing teams are beating us with TOP while we struggle to move the ball especially early in ball games. 

We average 5.89 plays per drive (17th) for 34.16 yards, which is good for eighth in the NFL. I don't think that's really the problem. We don't go three and out all that much. We're the 22nd ranked team in the league, in that regard. And we move the ball pretty well. We just get worse the closer we get to the endzone, for whatever reason.

On defense, we give up 6.71 plays per drive (31st) for 36.9 yards (30th). I'm not gonna blame that on the offense.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

We average 5.89 plays per drive (17th) for 34.16 yards, which is good for eighth in the NFL. I don't think that's really the problem. We don't go three and out all that much. We're the 22nd ranked team in the league, in that regard. And we move the ball pretty well. We just get worse the closer we get to the endzone, for whatever reason.

On defense, we give up 6.71 plays per drive (31st) for 36.9 yards (30th). I'm not gonna blame that on the offense.

do those stats reflect first half of ball games? Not when we turn it on in garbage time fourth qtr yards against Minnesota, New England and Arizona ? 

Vanilla Offense

This is a pretty good article I read about the offense and how could be used to help out Winston.  I agree with the article because it is a problem with the playcalling and you will see too many times when Winston has time but the receivers are not open for whatever reason.  This could also be on the receivers as on a scramble drill for Winston the receivers were in the endzone just sitting there after running their routes..  I don't remember what game this was in but I'm pretty sure it was the patriots game.  All in all I believe its more a coaching problem with our offense than Winston.  He is not playing the best but I think they could the offense could be molded to help him out.

Archived