Week 16 GDT - Broncos at Chargers

AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Jeudy was pathetic today. Hopefully this humbles him and he works on this during the offseason. Candidly, the guy has likely not faced a ton of adversity in his career- star in HS, star in college, now playing on a bad team. His body language has been trash this year. Hopefully this season is a maturing experience for him. We'll see. 

Anyway, the loss is what it is. Denver sitting at the 10th spot right now- right in the prime territory for a prospect that could really help us- on offense or defense.

Yeah, receiver is a tough position. You can be the best player on the field and yet you are completely dependent on others. I'm not surprised receivers are consistently a bit loco.

But yeah terrible, terrible game for Jeudy today lol he was attacking balls like he was hungover. I think he's fine tho. Just a rough one

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Jeudy was pathetic today. Hopefully this humbles him and he works on this during the offseason. Candidly, the guy has likely not faced a ton of adversity in his career- star in HS, star in college, now playing on a bad team. His body language has been trash this year. Hopefully this season is a maturing experience for him. We'll see. 

Anyway, the loss is what it is. Denver sitting at the 10th spot right now- right in the prime territory for a prospect that could really help us- on offense or defense.

A loss vs. LV helps cement not having to reach.    The only thing I want to see besides core guys avoiding serious injury is a bounce back from Jeudy (but it won’t be enough to quell the whispers - nor should it).   

Barring an improbable QB fall I think we’re going to see Parsons / top 2 CB (NYG the other team) being mocked to us.   The Prospect thread going to get a ton of volume this offseason.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

A loss vs. LV helps cement not having to reach.    The only thing I want to see besides core guys avoiding serious injury is a bounce back from Jeudy (but it won’t be enough to quell the whispers - nor should it).   

Barring an improbable QB fall I think we’re going to see Parsons / top 2 CB (NYG the other team) being mocked to us.   The Prospect thread going to get a ton of volume this offseason.  

any chance we are in play for the QBs? 

17 minutes ago, champ11 said:

any chance we are in play for the QBs? 

The issue is it seems like a make or break year for Fangio / Elway.    FO in that situation seldom go for QB’s that they think need a developmental year.   I don’t think we’re early enough to get anyone who isn’t that mold.   Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t consider it but there’s a reason why so far Klis / Renck / Albright were on the vet QB angle before Jax overtook NYJ for 1.1 and Lawrence.   Now that the landscape has changed - anything's possible, I guess.   It certainly doesn't seem that Lock's done even close to enough to make the FO comfortable with him as the lone plan A.

Edited by Broncofan

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The issue is it seems like a make or break year for Fangio / Elway.    FO in that situation seldom go for QB’s that they think need a developmental year.   I don’t think we’re early enough to get anyone who isn’t that mold.   Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t consider it but there’s a reason why so far Klis / Renck / Albright were on the vet QB angle before Jax overtook NYJ for 1.1 and Lawrence.   Now that the landscape has changed - anything's possible, I guess.   It certainly doesn't seem that Lock's done even close to enough to make the FO comfortable with him as the lone plan A.

if we lose sunday, get a top 10 pick, and don't find a way to get a QB that would stink IMO ... but we will see how it shapes out

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

Yeah, receiver is a tough position. You can be the best player on the field and yet you are completely dependent on others. I'm not surprised receivers are consistently a bit loco.

But yeah terrible, terrible game for Jeudy today lol he was attacking balls like he was hungover. I think he's fine tho. Just a rough one

This where having Sutton back might help him.  Sutton is such and upbeat, positive, let's go win the world guy who also had some drop issues.  I think he will be monumental from a leadership perspective next year.  If that doesn't work, the emergence of Tim Patrick was awesome and KJ looked great this year.  

20 minutes ago, champ11 said:

if we lose sunday, get a top 10 pick, and don't find a way to get a QB that would stink IMO ... but we will see how it shapes out

Well, the talk before from Renck & Albright was a day 2 pick trade for Darnold - but that was also with Lawrence locked in at 1.1.    Not so clear what NYJ does now.      So if that was plan A on Elway's front, who knows, maybe a Rd1 rookie with a top 10 pick is possible.   It's just more likely it's Lance or Trask - at least both would fit the bill on Elway's prerequisite for size lol.   Trask's arm talent and lack of mobility really ding him, it's hard to think he'd be considered a normal top 10 talent (and there's real questions on how much Pitts winning 50-50 balls elevates Trask, more than Trask throwing Pitts open).    It's very much a question if Wilson would be someone Elway would consider, and the competition Q comes up as well - but I'm guessing that Lawrence/Fields/Wilson will all be gone before we pick - so it might be a Q of Lance or not for us, if I were to guess today (but honestly, who knows this year, this draft evaluation is going to be unlike any recent one, with the opt-outs, the limited workouts, and limited tape).

Given how much of an impact Herbert made this past year, I think the top 4 QB's will be gone before 1.10 picks (lure of tools/ceiling ahead of tape) - and I don't know that Elway would consider Wilson (remember, he didn't consider Kyler Murray, even though it was a moot Q).   It's pretty clear Lawrence is the only guy who's ready to start week 1 2021, too.   

Then again, the vet market options really have turned back to a bear market, with PIT/IND/NO all very much in the market long-term (don't let the comeback vs. IND fool anyone, Big Ben's cracks are apparent for all to see - but it highlighted how limited Rivers is too for IND).   Before, when NYJ was getting 1.1, the smoke behind Darnold-to-DEN was pretty heavy (Renck & Allbright hard on that angle).  Now, nothing other than "someone else will be brought in to compete / back up Lock".   Who knows what that looks like now with JAX at 1.1.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah it’s hard to imagine a first round QB with essentially the entire organization being in a contract year. Much like with VJ in 2018 when they picked Chubb as BPA, the “win now mandate” likely means taking an instant contributor, probably on defense. 

more of the same, yippeee 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

more of the same, yippeee 

The most frustrating thing about these past few years is I think we have seen tangible progress and improvement in a lot of areas, and yet three years later we have a chance to be 5-11 just like in 2017. We went from having no young core to a pretty promising one, better coached, not wasting time with vet journeymen QBs, our disaster LT is now an elite player...and after all that we’re still bad. This franchise has become a toxic dump and nothing good comes out of it. The scariest thing is there’s no guarantee it gets better, no matter what your history says. Just look at Washington. They were an elite franchise that won consistently for decades with a regional fanbase that stretched from the Mid-Atlantic well into the South, and they haven’t sniffed relevance since the Clinton administration. 

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The most frustrating thing about these past few years is I think we have seen tangible progress and improvement in a lot of areas, and yet three years later we have a chance to be 5-11 just like in 2017. We went from having no young core to a pretty promising one, better coached, not wasting time with vet journeymen QBs, our disaster LT is now an elite player...and after all that we’re still bad. This franchise has become a toxic dump and nothing good comes out of it. The scariest thing is there’s no guarantee it gets better, no matter what your history says. Just look at Washington. They were an elite franchise that won consistently for decades with a regional fanbase that stretched from the Mid-Atlantic well into the South, and they haven’t sniffed relevance since the Clinton administration. 

RGIII and Donovan Mcnabb gave Washington 2 first round playoff exits!!

55 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The only differences with 2018 are that our D is way better.  And the vet QB class is actually 3-4 deep in viable options - we shouldn’t have to settle for a terrible mirage like Keenum this offseason.   But only 1-2 vets offer real long term potential too.  

If we pass on a Lance at QB and he proves to be the real deal it’s going to be a back breaker.    Part of me almost hopes that choice doesn’t come up (who am I kidding lol I hope we at least can entertain it).   

Edited by Broncofan

16 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The only differences with 2018 are that our D is way better.  And the vet QB class is actually 3-4 deep in viable options - we shouldn’t have to settle for a terrible mirage like Keenum this offseason.   But only 1-2 vets offer real long term potential too.  

If we pass on a Lance at QB and he proves to be the real deal it’s going to be a back breaker.    Part of me almost hopes that choice doesn’t come up (who am I kidding lol I hope we at least can entertain it).   

Yes I’m very worried that Lance has a shot to be special. I also can’t blame any team that isn’t willing to take a guy top 10 who has one year of lower level tape. Just like I understood why most teams would be uncomfortable taking Josh Allen. Quarterbacks really are the great mystery in sports. We’ve seen some incredible college quarterbacks look so ordinary in the league while guys who couldn’t produce in college become stars. I wonder if 2018 doesn’t become a turning point draft in how teams start evaluating QBs. Every single one of those first round QBs have defied conventional wisdom in one form or another with how their careers have turned out. 

15 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yes I’m very worried that Lance has a shot to be special. I also can’t blame any team that isn’t willing to take a guy top 10 who has one year of lower level tape. Just like I understood why most teams would be uncomfortable taking Josh Allen. Quarterbacks really are the great mystery in sports. We’ve seen some incredible college quarterbacks look so ordinary in the league while guys who couldn’t produce in college become stars. I wonder if 2018 doesn’t become a turning point draft in how teams start evaluating QBs. Every single one of those first round QBs have defied conventional wisdom in one form or another with how their careers have turned out. 

Allen and Herbert basically have turned the equation of tools > tape (Herbert), low competition (both) & polish (Allen).    You can’t get a guy like Lance late Rd1 anymore.   It’s going to be a huge leaP of faith.  Opting out is going to give him a massive range in draft landing spot.   I’d be shocked if Elway doesn’t at least kick the tires if we end up at 5-11 and a 8-10 pick.