So how much of this roster will be torn down this offseason

whodatworm23

10 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Personally Saints fans need to understannd that this is not going to be a championship roster next year and the Saints MUST invest in thier young core homegrown talent annd build back around that. Players such as Sanders, Alexander, Brown, Cook, Murray, Easton, Jenkins and many more high cost vets need to go and maybe... Sadly, some aging high cost veteran Saints home grown talent like Armstead, Rankins, Peat might have to be cut or traded in order to get us in a position to solidify the future of the roster.

Well, we've been in the basement before. If we have to go back there for a reset for a few years, we won't like it, but I guess it happens.

What a great problem to have. Which "really good/great" players are we possibly going to have to let go. Where most teams are trying to figure out how to get good guys, or even "A" good guy.

I guess I'm most concerned about a QB. It's obvious we can select line talent on both sides. We've been pretty okay with a lead linebacker. We've got our lead RB and WR locked in, and our TE and secondary are pretty decent. But we've never had to go get a QB under Payton. That worries me. Not that he can't do it, we just haven't experienced what he can or can't do yet, so it's a concern for me. Hopefully a wasted concern.

On 12/28/2020 at 8:06 PM, whodatworm23 said:

I dont know guys... Hennderickson is a solid player and is having a quality season rushing the passer but he still bites on RPOs and boots soooo bad vs the run with pass rushing only on his mind.  Id love to keep him but he is flawed despite the sack numbers.

Lattimore... Young corner who follows the opposing teams top option week in and week out and has been very good at it. I aint giving that up!

Sure hes inconsistant... Hes got the top assignment on the back end every week. 

The best games we've ever had on defense this season were where we played Cover-2, giving Lattimore safety help, and letting our front four just beat the opposing QB into the dirt.

Lattimore CAN be a shut down corner, but he just isn't consistently enough.   Don't get me wrong, I would love to keep him.  But in my opinion a fierce pass rush with just four guys is worth more than what Lattimore brings.

Hendrickson has just been a BEAST.   This is all just my opinion though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

But we've never had to go get a QB under Payton. That worries me.

Well he got Drew Brees who he personally turned into a HOF player.  The guy was mediocre for 5 seasons and just lost his starting job to Doug Floutie, then suffered basically a career ending injury on his throwing shoulder.   NOBODY in the NFL wanted Drew Brees. 

Payton could of got someone else, but he saw something in this guy that nobody else did. 

I'm not worried about Payton's ability to find good QB's.   Look what he did with Drew Brees and Teddy Bridgewater.  And Taysom has surprised everyone.

27 minutes ago, Saint_James said:

Well he got Drew Brees who he personally turned into a HOF player.  The guy was mediocre for 5 seasons and just lost his starting job to Doug Floutie, then suffered basically a career ending injury on his throwing shoulder.   NOBODY in the NFL wanted Drew Brees. 

Payton could of got someone else, but he saw something in this guy that nobody else did. 

I'm not worried about Payton's ability to find good QB's.   Look what he did with Drew Brees and Teddy Bridgewater.  And Taysom has surprised everyone.

Miami wanted Brees pretty badly, but one team doctor screwed that up for them, so they decided on Culpepper.

I'll hold my opinions on Teddy to a low roar, but he's a high talent guy who's an average pro QB, in my opinion. Luke McCown's 1 start was better than all of our "full game" QB backups, but that's another story.

My point is, we've had 1 starter since 2006, and a hand full of fill in guys who've done well. We'll never know how good or bad these guys really are until they hit that 12-14 game mark, which is when the season fully catches up with a player, especially a young player who's likely only played seasons of 12 games in college.

I'm simply saying it's a concern of mine. I also have a MEGA respect so far with what the Ireland scouting crew has accomplished, so perhaps the combination of Payton/Ireland will nail a ringer.

Not trying to throw an argument here, just looking at it a little differently.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saint_James said:

Actually Payton's 1st choice was Tony Romo who he found while at Dallas and was currently 3rd on the Cowboys depth chart. Saints offered the 2nd pick inn the 3rd round and Jerry Jones wanted the 2nd pick in the 2nd round... Mickey Loomis said no not Payton. Then Loomis and Payton toyed withh the idea of getting Green Bay to trade Farve. Remember this is where Payton really wanted to go coach before McCarthy got the job, and it was at the begining of Brett and Green Bays souing relationship. The Green Bay GM eventually shut the door on any Farve trade talks.

Then they began aggressively scouting the 2006 QB class... Payton liked Young but wasn't completely sold on him, they actually coveted Mario Williams to rebuild there defense around so they began focusing on thier top FA target... Brees to fill the QB need.

Then came the night before the draft and the Texans announced they would be selecting Williams with the #1 overall pick. The Saints then had a deal in place with the NY Jets who were at 4 to trade back collect picks and presumably take AJ Hawk at 4 until Tom Benson who saw Saints fans celebrating on tv thr night before that Reggie Bush was cominng to town vetoed the Jets trade and ordered Loomis to take Bush at 2 anbd make it work.

Lot to digest.... This all came out over time in local reports and interviews between all parties Involved.

• Like 2