Cam Newton and Donovan McNabb

One

I've noticed some similarities between the two. And no it has NOTHING to do with the obvious.

Prior to their Super Bowl appearances, they were inconsistent passers who made up with their athletic ability and won some games.

They have one major statistical outlier season where they make a Super Bowl appearance, in which they played poorly.

After their Super Bowl appearance they slowly get worse each year, never coming close to their Super Bowl year stats, before being let go by their respective teams.

Both are known for being prima donnas.

Edited by One

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 5:35 PM, One said:

rior to their Super Bowl appearances, they were inconsistent passers

I think Donovan has always been an above average passer. Unfortunately for him he dealt with alot of bad talent at the WR position.. the one time he did have a top WR in 2004 (T.O), he broke franchise passing records and went to the super bowl.. Cam to me has always been a average passer (virtually no touch on his passes) with a awkward release and cannon for an arm. His first 5-6 years in the league, he got by with his cannon, running and brute strength. Injuries brought all that down. 

In my opinion, the best comparison for McNabb is Dak Prescott.. They have very similar play styles. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 4:35 PM, One said:

I've noticed some similarities between the two. And no it has NOTHING to do with the obvious.

Prior to their Super Bowl appearances, they were inconsistent passers who made up with their athletic ability and won some games.

They have one major statistical outlier season where they make a Super Bowl appearance, in which they played poorly.

After their Super Bowl appearance they slowly get worse each year, never coming close to their Super Bowl year stats, before being let go by their respective teams.

Both are known for being prima donnas.

Cam may have a big personality but he was never outright lazy or a problem in the locker room like Mcnabb has been accused of. I feel like TO accusing Mcnabb of being hungover for the Super Bowl recently is something that would never, ever happen with Cam Newton.

I also think Mcnabb should thank his stars he had Andy Reid calling plays or else he might have looked pretty mediocre (although I will admit his receivers were always pretty scarce outside of Owens)

23 hours ago, eagles18 said:

I think Donovan has always been an above average passer. Unfortunately for him he dealt with alot of bad talent at the WR position.. the one time he did have a top WR in 2004 (T.O), he broke franchise passing records and went to the super bowl.. Cam to me has always been a average passer (virtually no touch on his passes) with a awkward release and cannon for an arm. His first 5-6 years in the league, he got by with his cannon, running and brute strength. Injuries brought all that down. 

In my opinion, the best comparison for McNabb is Dak Prescott.. They have very similar play styles. 

McNabb and Dak Prescott are a pretty good comparison.  Cam Netwon's game has never reminded me of McNabb.

On 1/3/2021 at 9:27 AM, eagles18 said:

Daks a better passer than McNabb; doesnt have the issue of dirtballs. And both of them are lightyears better than Cam.

Obviously reverse the order for running. Dak is the least athletic of the 3; he just had good vision when it comes to scrambling/running. But he doesnt have the size, speed or power of McNabb or Cam.

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

I understand labeling Cam as a prima donna, but certainly never to the case that was McNabb was. Cam’s never nuked a locker room, as far as we know. 

McNabb was also a much more consistent passer, so there’s that too. 

Don’t think the two are all that similar.

6 hours ago, Synopsis said:

Dak and McNabb are not lightyears better than Cam.

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Cam at his peak had a rocket arm. Sprinting flat out to his side, flick of his wrist, ball launches in a 40 yard arch - no problem. At Alabama and his first few years at Carolina. His shot arm is a fairly recent thing.

Never reminded me of McNabb at all. 

Cam has never been a consistently good passer. He might of had spurts. But he was always inaccurate. What he brought to the table was his size/running to compliment his throwing.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2021 at 12:19 AM, Matts4313 said:

Daks a better passer than McNabb; doesnt have the issue of dirtballs. And both of them are lightyears better than Cam.

Obviously reverse the order for running. Dak is the least athletic of the 3; he just had good vision when it comes to scrambling/running. But he doesnt have the size, speed or power of McNabb or Cam.

Dak has also had a pretty good supporting cast of receivers.. McNabb never had a good receiving core. 

1 hour ago, eagles18 said:

Dak has also had a pretty good supporting cast of receivers.. McNabb never had a good receiving core. 

James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, Freddie Mitchell (THE GOAT), Chad Lewis.....

Until 2004, McNabb was throwing to cones.

On 1/10/2021 at 7:32 PM, Matts4313 said:

Cam has never been a consistently good passer. He might of had spurts. But he was always inaccurate. What he brought to the table was his size/running to compliment his throwing.

No, I didn't say he was a consistently good or even a good passer. I said he had a rocket arm. His close range accuracy (and quite often everything else) has always been appalling 

Edited by Hunter2_1

On 1/3/2021 at 11:38 AM, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Cam may have a big personality but he was never outright lazy or a problem in the locker room like Mcnabb has been accused of. I feel like TO accusing Mcnabb of being hungover for the Super Bowl recently is something that would never, ever happen with Cam Newton.

I also think Mcnabb should thank his stars he had Andy Reid calling plays or else he might have looked pretty mediocre (although I will admit his receivers were always pretty scarce outside of Owens)

Agreed. This made worse by the fact that I think it probably was more than just the SB. I was rewatching an old clip from when McNabb’s Syracuse team went up against Manning’s Tennessee team in college (I believe it was Tenn) and they won off a last ditch play on 4th down (something like that).

But McNabb was also throwing up in THAT huddle when leading the drive. Considering the similarities, either he throws up in the big moments... or he was out drinking in both cases.

One thing to do it in college, another entirely to do it before the biggest game of your career.
——

Give me a healthy peak Cam with Andy Reid any day of the week over McNabb. I’m sure he wins me a SB and doesn’t rank my locker room.