Thoughts on NFL adapting NBA style draft lottery?

SotanKing

With how depressing Jets fans have been feeling since Sunday, it just doesn't feel right for me that fans of a team are so distraught to see their team finally win a game and avoid finishing 0-16. I also do hate tanking and in general rooting against your fav team. With ever more increasing importance of QB position and how a QB is mostly being picked with the No1 pick, don't you think it would make sense for NFL to adopt NBA stlye draft lottery system?

In the NBA draft lottery system, team with worst record usually only has 14% chance of No1 pick and 52% chance of getting a top4 pick..teams with 2nd, 3rd worst records also have similar odds of getting No1 pick. You can see detailed odds for each team here http://www.tankathon.com/. There would be much less incentive to tank in this system when you aren't guaranteed of No1 pick even if you finish with the worst record.

Edited by upriser7
d

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Nope. Would never trust. Too many times have I seen a big market team with a low % get a Top 2 pick, which never happens for the small market team. 

That really isn't true..if that's the case, then Knicks should've gotten No1 pick multiple times by now but they haven't even gotten it atleast once. .look at the teams who got No1 pick in NBA..TWolves, Pelicans are some of the least marketable teams and they've gotten No1 pick thrice in last 6 years.

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 2

I don't like the idea of a draft lottery.  They system they are currently using is very fair.  My problem with the lottery is that it creates the potential of interfering with true parity when teams with better records can jump the very worst teams.  For example, the Minnesota Timberwolves have been absolutely horrible for a majority of the years they have been in existence.  In spite of that, poor luck in the draft lottery has kept them from getting some very good players when they had "earned" them through the previous season's ineptitude.  For example, the Wolves were the worst team in the league the season before Shaquille O'Neal came out for the draft.  Because of the lottery, they not only didn't get Shaq.  They also missed out on Alonzo Mourning, who was picked #2, and they ended up with Christian Laettner.  That was a HUGE dropoff from Shaq to Laettner.

As far as tanking is concerned, I don't think very many teams actually "tank" a season.  As has been said many times in other threads, players and coaching staffs have a lot on the line and aren't going to purposely go out there and try to lose.  They are going to try to win.  The owners can make moves that will cause their team to possibly tank, but I don't have a problem with that.  Tanking from the owner's perspective is a calculated business decision that carries with it a possible upside AND an unavoidable downside.  It should be the owner's choice as a business owner if he wants to deploy that strategy.  It doesn't always work, and it can backfire in large fashion.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 2

The NBA Lottery doesn't stop tanking. It probably even encourages more teams to tank because they know if they lose enough games they will still have a shot at the number one pick. More losses better odds. Everyone that isn't a legit title contender fights to the bottom.

Also, The NBA lottery system is vastly different than any NFL lottery because in a give NBA draft there are like 5 good-great players and a bunch of filler.  The NFL draft has so much more talent because their are so many more positions and player types.

Hard pass on a lottery.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The best part of this idea is the notion that teams don’t tank in the NBA. 

Google search “NBA tanking problem”

I didn't say it will totally eliminates tanking...but it definitely is better than current system where fans end up rooting for their team to lose every game when their team is out of playoff contention

Edited by upriser7