Thoughts on NFL adapting NBA style draft lottery?

SotanKing

NBA has it right with both the lottery and playoff seeding. NFL needs to do both the NBA way.

A lottery could have helped in 2012 for the Browns. Had they won the lottery, they would have been in position to draft Andrew Luck and been back to the playoffs sooner (not to mention increase their chances of beating Peyton Manning, something they never were able to do).

2 minutes ago, pf9 said:

A lottery could have helped in 2012 for the Browns. Had they won the lottery, they would have been in position to draft Andrew Luck and been back to the playoffs sooner (not to mention increase their chances of beating Peyton Manning, something they never were able to do).

I mean, not having a lottery in 2012 helped the colts. This year not having a lottery will help the jets or jags...

• Like 3

step 1: adopt draft lottery

step 2: institute a system where teams that go over the salary cap have to pay a tax on how much over the cap they are. 

step 3: change the franchise tag so that it’s a multi-year contract and call it “super max”

step 4: institute a way for teams to go over the cap to resign their own players without penalty 

step 5: don’t allow teams to trade players unless the contracts are close to matching to avoid salary dumps 

step 6: make the football round 

step 7: bend the goal posts into a circle and score by throwing the “football” into the goal posts

step 8: remove grass and install hardwood floors 

screw it, I’ll just go watch basketball 

• Like 1

I don’t like the NBA lottery- too many teams are in it. I could MAYBE get behind an idea of a top 3 lottery. But even then, I have no problem with tanking.

If teams want to promote a losing atmosphere on their team and think that it won’t bite them in the butt the following season, then that’s their prerogative.

That said, I do think that division and then conference record should be the first tie breakers when it comes to the draft tie breaker. I mean SOS is cool and all, but for example, teams playing the NFCE will have more wins and could theoretically help boost a losing team in draft scenarios due to “inflated” victories.

Now sure two teams within the same conference won’t have equal SOS’s, but the #1 goal should be to win your division, then win your conference, then win the SB. So deep down I do feel it’s sort of bogus that the playoffs are decided in one fashion, yet the draft is not.

The Jets are completely defeated within their conference, while the Jags in the same conference, are not. They’re both 1 win teams, that concept just doesn’t sit well with me.

Even though I also realize the Jags are probably the worst team of the two when we consider the players who have opted out. Just don’t like the method, the coin flip was a better method than the current system IMO.

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, not having a lottery in 2012 helped the colts. This year not having a lottery will help the jets or jags...

I think it would have done the Colts well to finish in or near the AFC South cellar for a while, especially considering they were in the playoffs 9 years in a row before 2011, and the Browns never beat Colts teams led by Peyton Manning, but they certainly could have beat Broncos teams led by him if they had Luck

3 minutes ago, pf9 said:

I think it would have done the Colts well to finish in or near the AFC South cellar for a while, especially considering they were in the playoffs 9 years in a row before 2011, and the Browns never beat Colts teams led by Peyton Manning, but they certainly could have beat Broncos teams led by him if they had Luck

I think colts fans probably disagree and are of the opinion that drafting luck did them well enough. They didn't need to hang in the cellar for a few years.

• Like 2

Colts problem was 2 fold

1: Not building up the OL

2: The turn around happened too fast and the staff had a false sense of how good the team was. Instead of building up the depth they started adding vets and drafting players like Bjoern Werner and Phillip Dorsett and trading for that RB with no vision. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 43M said:

NFL shouldn't copy ANYTHING the NBA does.

Ever.

You have it reversed. The NBA demonstrated bold remarkable clarity overnight. Transformed national perspective. Will be remembered and cited. The NFL was still trying to pretend we needed to care about posture.

One is a scared dullard reactionary league obsessed with public opinion and short term ratings, while the other understands the big picture and long term and global. it has been an absolute pleasure to follow the NBA for the past 9 months

3 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

You have it reversed. The NBA demonstrated bold remarkable clarity overnight. Transformed national perspective. Will be remembered and cited. The NFL was still trying to pretend we needed to care about posture.

One is a scared dullard reactionary league obsessed with public opinion and short term ratings, while the other understands the big picture and long term and global. it has been an absolute pleasure to follow the NBA for the past 9 months

I guess that’s why the NBAs ratings have dropped like a rock while the NFLs ratings have sky rocketed.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, upriser7 said:

I didn't say it will totally eliminates tanking...but it definitely is better than current system where fans end up rooting for their team to lose every game when their team is out of playoff contention

Do you watch the NBA cause that's exactly what happens every year for the bottom 6 teams.

• Like 1

Basketball is very different because you have 5 guys instead of 22, so while a transcendent talent can vault you into relevancy, there are a lot of other players and factors in the NFL. 

In the NBA, 1 superstar can change the trajectory, and we’ve then seen how free agency and trades can factor in. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, August4th said:

what about eliminating the draft and letting college players enter FA

If they did that, you would end up with a league that is like college football.  That's great if your franchise ends up being one of the good teams that all the best prospects want to play for.  If you end up being one of the duds like the Minnesota Gophers, for example, your team will never have a chance to win a Super Bowl.  It would be like going back to the old days when you could put a great team together and keep them that way for their entire careers.  It's why we saw dynasties and also other teams who had decades of total ineptitude.  That's no good for the fans.  I love the parity the league has created in the NFL where teams have to keep working hard to stay relevant.