Week 16 GDT: Division Champs come into town

Deadpulse

Bills @ Patriots  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How do turnovers pan out?

2. 2. Without Gilmore, does Diggs go off?

• Yes (100+ yards, at least one score)
    • No (under 100 yards, no scores)
    • Hey lays an egg (under 50 yards)
  3. 3. How many TD's can the Patriots score after settling for so many FG's against Miami?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/29/2020 at 01:15 AM

9 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

I miss having a QB that could throw the ball :(

Here's my dream scenario:

1. Sign Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's shown he can adapt to any team, he's a good locker room presence and Belichick has shown a tendency to sign players who give us trouble.

2. Draft Kyle Trask or Trey Lance (preferably the former). Have them sit behind Fitz.

3. Keep Cam as a gadget player. He can't throw worth a crap, but he's still a threat on the ground.

Edited by biggie.

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

I agree, he can be an amazing #2 though. The problem is he feels he is a #1, so I doubt he takes a deal with the Patriots and will end up getting overpaid in free agency next season. Losing Gilmore and Jackson over the next year can destroy the strength of this defense. 

Some team will easily give him a huge contract 

• Like 1

User Total
IheartMyV8 15
Crimmage 15
Starless 13
Hunter 2_1 13
The Third Rider 12
LD696 12
Deadpulse 12
Iron Man 10
m haynes 10
Scottish Patriot 9
jofos 8
DoleINGOut 5
rffournier 5
SBLIII 5
PatriotsWin! 4
atmer 3
Dan33185 3
Jakuvious 2
JohnCena 2
Sir A1 1
Fresh Prince 1
dhunt2402 1
Asciimo 1
LaFellSBXLIXMVP 1
InRodWeRust 1

shout out to @Crimmage for getting all three poll questions right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

and if anyone thinks we're beating NYJ...you're tripping

Yep. The hullabaloo about the Jets beating the Rams and ruining their future will soon be moot what with their impending beatdown of the Pats and Goff's collapse.

I wonder if their trajectory could be similar to Miami's last year after they were accused of tanking with their moves and 0-7 start. Probably depends on what they do with Gase and Darnold.

In fact, AFC Least could be a power division for a few years to come. Will be a long road back for the Pats if that is the case. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, scottishpatriot said:

Yep. The hullabaloo about the Jets beating the Rams and ruining their future will soon be moot what with their impending beatdown of the Pats and Goff's collapse.

I wonder if their trajectory could be similar to Miami's last year after they were accused of tanking with their moves and 0-7 start. Probably depends on what they do with Gase and Darnold.

In fact, AFC Least could be a power division for a few years to come. Will be a long road back for the Pats if that is the case. 

I guess it helps that Trevor won't be in the division. I can never trust NYJ to put together a string of strong seasons. But the other two are huge issues now. Especially Buffalo who look unstoppable currently.

Bill has work to do. Decisions to make. Picks to nail. FAs period to nail....but I trust him to rebuild a strong team (WRs not withstanding)

41 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I guess it helps that Trevor won't be in the division. I can never trust NYJ to put together a string of strong seasons. But the other two are huge issues now. Especially Buffalo who look unstoppable currently.

Bill has work to do. Decisions to make. Picks to nail. FAs period to nail....but I trust him to rebuild a strong team (WRs not withstanding)

I trust him too.

He has more assets than usual in picks (but still damn you Bengals doc) and cap space. And, perhaps more importantly, he'll have a year or two where the diamonds in the rough he turns around don't instantly get taken by other teams looking to build on their success. 

I'm looking forward to a run first team with both Harris and Michel being part of the future. Just need some tight ends, WRs and a play action game. 

Front seven is definitely the bigger need though. 

At the end of the day, BB needs to spend some time with Nick Saban this off season. I remember an interview with him where he stated that it used to be good defense beats good offense, but now it's the opposite, good offense beats good defense. With that obviously being the case ( KC / Seattle / etc.) in the NFL as well, what you really want to do imo is invest heavily in TALENT on the offensive side of the ball and COACHING on the defensive side of the ball. This is why I believe it to be possible for this team to turn it around quickly. 

RB and OL are the only areas not needing to be touched this offseason on the offense. Harris / Michel / Taylor could be a pretty good combo going forward with hopefully Burkhead sticking around another year. My hope would be that Taylor was picked up to be put in that James White role when he leaves this off season. Thuney will be gone but Onwenu / Herron will have a full off season to get better and I'm confident we will be totally fine with both of them starting assuming Andrews is brought back. You may add some cheap free agent depth but I think they have a solid foundation for any QB to come in and perform. 

TE imo you have two kids who you really couldn't evaluate at all this season due to awful QBs, them being on IR, no off season, and being the hardest offensive position to transition to on offensive according to BB. Kyle Pitts at 15 is an option, so would drafting another TE but I doubt that's the play. BB has always been obsessed with Hunter Henry so wouldn't be surprised if he gives him a big deal ( I'd rather he didn't because he's so injury prone) but a veteran who can catch like Jared Cook would be fine with me to help the two kids learn. If a top tier potential TE slips to the 4th I'd grab him too ( I was never high on Keene) but other than that I wouldn't touch the position early. 

WR is a HUGE need, but the tough part is that top tier WR now cost 15-25 million. I really doubt BB pays that much money to get a #1, I think it's much more likely he finds another #2 type WR who stuck around on the market longer than expected. I think this is where you need to heavily invest in the draft to get cheap talent who can play right away ( i know, scary given his history). You have so much talent in this WR class that even though Chase/Waddle/Smith will probably be gone by 15 ( it's either a run on QB or WR) I think the play is to trade back and try to get your #1 WR and QB of the future. What kind of return can you get from 14 to maybe 25-28? I'm not sure.. but being in no mans land 14th pick will only be worth it to a team who needs a CB because a run on them will start after 10 I think.. or wants Pitts ( assuming Pats don't want him). You have a lot of WR options at the end of the 1st round, Chris Olave / Rondale Moore are options who could come in and make an impact day 1. I would personally double dip WR because we are so bad at it and grab another guy in the 3rd/4th who is a pure speed threat. 

QB i'm all about getting a veteran and turning this thing around quickly while someone gets developed behind the scenes for a couple years. As long as BB gets his guy idc who the name is personally but I think the person has to be taken at the end of the 1st or beginning of the 2nd. My thoughts on WR could swap with QB ( it really depends on if we see the run on QB or WR first). Mathew Stafford would be great in the offseason if the new Lions GM wants to blow it up but I have a feeling they could go WR in the 1st and build around him because he's still got another 5 years in him. Gardner Minshew is my bridge guy, I think with the right coaching he would be great and he's only 24 I think. Throw the Jags a 4th and you're able to throw the ball next season with weapons around him. Outside of Minshew you grab a late 1st QB or trade back up to the beginning of the 2nd to get one of Trask / Jones / Lance ( I think Lance ends up being the forgotten guy and goes wayyyy later than people expect making him a worthy risk). 

Mid to late rounds go all defense for smart guys who are raw with as much speed as possible then coach them up. This team has always been great at finding UDFA secondary players so keep doing that and spend a majority of your free agent money on good, older vets who are cap casualties to help teach the young guys. Morale of the story, spend top picks on offensive pure talent who can make an impact and use your amazing coach to make a good enough defense to make enough plays to win ( get turnovers when other teams make mistakes and let your team score). This not only makes for a more entertaining product but I think Saban was right in that this is the way you win now, the rules are always changing to side with the offense so BB can't put all of his effort into creating a defensive juggernaut because it simply won't work. 

Sorry for the long post, i'm done venting now ( PLEASE BB don't spend all your effort creating a defense 1st team that only runs the ball!) 

• Like 1

My take after watching this disaster,  we have to take a QB. I don't care if we trade the house, the 1st pick has to be a QB. I don't care where the QB's are slotted by the so call expert. I'm am now convinced you take a shot ,if you think he has skills you can develop and fit him in your system.

I have changed my (if I had one) mind. I would take at 14,  Fields ,Lance or Trask. I than would pray that they can be developed, kinda like (college to pros) Jalen Hurts. I would not trade down, take your guy. Last thing you want is someone to jump your pick and lose out on your guy you are targeting. Value forget it , don't play around!

Yes I just did write Fields and Lance!!!!! I have to believe BB can develop them and fit them into our now running offense.

The guy you take this is what I would do going forward. Bring in a vet ( use him like the Fins did with Fitz) and have him play the 1st 6 games and than go with the rookie. I don't want to hear he's not ready. Put him in and have him learn, takes his lumps. If you have to,  protect him like you did Cam. They did this with Jacoby Brissett,. Next year is IMO a building for 2022. You have to be realistic. You not beating the Chiefs, the only team I care about, its SB or bust.

Now that my gasket is blown, here's something that makes me optimistic. We only have to hit a home run on three positions to get back in the game. QB, WR , ILB. Yes we have needs all over but these three are the keys to success.

Last  I don't want Pitts with our 1st RD pick. He's a great college player but that doesn't mean he will be the next Gronk. We have more pressing needs as I mentioned. I also think you can use your pick in the 2nd rd on a TE, such as Pat Freiermuth, Penn State, Brevin Jordan, Miami, Charlie Kolar, Iowa State .

My choice would be QB, WR and CB with the 1st pick. CB is not a key to success but the value is to much to pass on at that spot. You also cover yourself with Gilmore and Jackson if you think 2022 season.

Sleeper pick in the 3/4 RD. Sam Ehlinger, if it turns out he can't be a starter, you can still use him like Taysom Hill.

• Like 1

The major part I agree with is I don't really have a preference anymore, I trust that BB is going to have a lot of time to look at film with Josh ( if he is still here) and he will be able to pick the guy he wants most. The interesting part will be next week.. if they lose to the Jets and a few other teams win, I think they could go as low as pick #10. The only part I am not committed to is a trade down.. knowing BB he's always going to want to trade down. If he trades up or even stays put that high in the draft I think it's showing a huge sense of urgency to get a QB, while as fans we are all freaking out about a QB I think he's much more calm about the situation. Any player drafted this year is going to sit a minimum of 1 year and nobody is more confident than BB when it comes to developing players ( even if Stidham is a bust). 

I'm going to keep banging the Gardner Minshew drum all off season because I think BB could turn him into a good player given how well he played his rookie year with a terrible coaching staff. 

This draft once again has A LOT of talent at WR.. you can grab some quality guys in the late 1st / early second. Imo Lawrence / Wilson / Fields will go in the top 10 .. Lance / Trask / Jones could be available anywhere from 10-45 imo. Lance especially I think drops because he's had so much time off, Jones winning a national championship could springboard him upwards as well with a great performance. A trade back from 10-20 could get you an extra second rounder.. and at that point you could take your QB/WR/ILB right there in the first two rounds.