Week 16 - Rams at Seahawks

RamRod

3 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

But the thing is.. we don’t need an elite QB. We need an average guy who takes care of the ball. That’s literally all we need to win a Super Bowl or at least be legit contenders. I don’t think that’s that crazy to ask for from a first overall pick who’s been extended. Yes bad offensive performances can derail any QB in any given day.. but Goff hasn’t showed up in so long regardless of how the rest of the offense does. Am I losing it or am I speaking facts here? 

We need a game manager, but we also need better blocking, better special teams, and consistent playcalling. 

1 minute ago, MDY10 said:

But the thing is.. we don’t need an elite QB. We need an average guy who takes care of the ball. That’s literally all we need to win a Super Bowl or at least be legit contenders. I don’t think that’s that crazy to ask for from a first overall pick who’s been extended. Yes bad offensive performances can derail any QB in any given day.. but Goff hasn’t showed up in so long regardless of how the rest of the offense does. Am I losing it or am I speaking facts here? 

I don't think you are correct here. Average QBs don't win a game like yesterday. No run game and poor pass protection can only be overcome by elite QB play. Even if Goff doesn't turn that ball over there and the Rams score a TD, that's only 16 points. And I'd also argue that average QBs are probably turning the ball over once a game when pressured on half of drop backs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I'm just sick of the "Goff this, Goff that" mindset that this fanbase has grown into. They've completely turned on him. He absolutely deserves a good portion of the blame, but putting it ALL on him and refusing to acknowledge the problems with the playcalling, the blocking, and the special teams is just lazy. I have no problem criticizing Goff and I'm absolutely a little more unsure of him after this season, but he's not the only one like everyone is making it out to be. 

Having to start an undrafted QB for his first game in a must win game is not a good thing. 

F' That I'm going all on this kid with our season on the line. Conductor of the John Wolford hype train right here. Guy is measured at 5'11 204lbs with a 4.77 40yard dash

"In the first game of the regular season, a 38–22 win over the Salt Lake Stallions, Wolford completed 18 of 29 passes for 275 yards, four touchdowns, and two two-point conversions; for his performance, he was named Week 1 AAF Offensive Player of the Week.[9][10] He earned a second Player of the Week award in Week 7, when he completed 15 of 19 passes for 212 yards, two touchdowns, one interception, and a 126.3 passer rating and ran for a 35-yard touchdown in a 32–15 victory against the San Diego Fleet.[11]"

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I'm just sick of the "Goff this, Goff that" mindset that this fanbase has grown into. They've completely turned on him. He absolutely deserves a good portion of the blame, but putting it ALL on him and refusing to acknowledge the problems with the playcalling, the blocking, and the special teams is just lazy. I have no problem criticizing Goff and I'm absolutely a little more unsure of him after this season, but he's not the only one like everyone is making it out to be. 

Having to start an undrafted QB for his first game in a must win game is not a good thing. 

That’s why I keep saying that even though on occasion the playcalls are questionable and the special teams has been terrible and two or three games this year the line has been non existent or had a horrible half.. but Goff has been even more consistent at being a problem. He’s by far the most inconsistent part of the team. Like you said, he deserves a large portion of the blame. The problem comes with Goff because we can still lose by fixing the other problems. We can’t win if Goff doesn’t fix his. 

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

F' That I'm going all on this kid with our season on the line. Conductor of the John Wolford hype train right here. Guy is measured at 5'11 204lbs with a 4.77 40yard dash

"In the first game of the regular season, a 38–22 win over the Salt Lake Stallions, Wolford completed 18 of 29 passes for 275 yards, four touchdowns, and two two-point conversions; for his performance, he was named Week 1 AAF Offensive Player of the Week.[9][10] He earned a second Player of the Week award in Week 7, when he completed 15 of 19 passes for 212 yards, two touchdowns, one interception, and a 126.3 passer rating and ran for a 35-yard touchdown in a 32–15 victory against the San Diego Fleet.[11]"

He went undrafted for a reason. Unless he's had an unreal transformation since then, it's not an upgrade over Goff.

Could he rise up to the occasion and surprise me? Sure. I hope he does, but I wouldn't bet any money on it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MDY10 said:

That’s why I keep saying that even though on occasion the playcalls are questionable and the special teams has been terrible and two or three games this year the line has been non existent or had a horrible half.. but Goff has been even more consistent at being a problem. He’s by far the most inconsistent part of the team. Like you said, he deserves a large portion of the blame. The problem comes with Goff because we can still lose by fixing the other problems. We can’t win if Goff doesn’t fix his. 

It's more than on occasion though, that's the thing. People just find it easier to put it all on the QB. Bad playcalls happen just as frequently as Goff's bad plays if not more. Everyone freaking out about that interception is fine, but you also have to be equally as mad at not sneaking it on 4th and inches. 

We are not an "average QB" away from a Superbowl. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

He went undrafted for a reason. Unless he's had an unreal transformation since then, it's not an upgrade over Goff.

Could he rise up to the occasion and surprise me? Sure. I hope he does, but I wouldn't bet any money on it. 

The one thing Wolford can do is force McVay to be creative. I'd welcome that. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JonStark said:

He went undrafted cause he's 5'11 and not an all world athlete like Kyler Murray.

We don't know what is/isn't an upgrade over Goff until we see it. McVay will design run plays and bootlegs, maybe we see Bryce Perkins suit up and do some Wildcat stuff. Our genius HC needs to make something out of very little and I have faith in him to do that.

Also, we weren't chucking the ball downfield with Goff (likely cause we dont have a deep threat at WR), but its not like we're going to miss that aspect anyway.

11 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I don't think you are correct here. Average QBs don't win a game like yesterday. No run game and poor pass protection can only be overcome by elite QB play. Even if Goff doesn't turn that ball over there and the Rams score a TD, that's only 16 points. And I'd also argue that average QBs are probably turning the ball over once a game when pressured on half of drop backs. 

That’s fair and I respect your opinion. But Goff hasn’t been under pressure for half his drop backs in the last two months and yet he has 17 turnovers this year. That’s insane. After Miami everyone said (including me) that he’d fix it and be back to the Goff we saw early on.. but he’s turned it over like 8-9 times since the bye week now. He’s very lucky it’s not more too. I feel like I’m always the villain in here but i truly can’t understand how excuses keep coming up for him. And this is coming from someone that truly likes him. At some point, in my opinion, he needs to overcome some adversity and step the hell up and win us a game. 

6 minutes ago, JonStark said:

It's more than on occasion though, that's the thing. People just find it easier to put it all on the QB. Bad playcalls happen just as frequently as Goff's bad plays if not more. Everyone freaking out about that interception is fine, but you also have to be equally as mad at not sneaking it on 4th and inches. 

We are not an "average QB" away from a Superbowl. 

But every single team deals with “bad play calls”. It’s so damn easy to say “oh I’d had done this” while you’re watching on tv. If I’m not mistaken, there’s arguably 30 other teams in the league that complain WAY more about play calling than the rams do. Everyone can say “we should have sneaked it on 4th” even though we just tried it and failed. Is that not the first or second time we’ve been stopped on 4th and 1 all year? How unfair is that to say that’s a bad play call. I feel like that’s so so unfair to criticize a play call even though in that situation we probably score 95% of the time. Can we say Goff USUALLY plays well? Can we say Goff USUALLY doesn’t turn it over? We can not. At the end of the day a bad play call is more than likely a bad play call because you’d have done it differently than the actual Coach of an NFL team would have. 

This team is 100% already in the playoffs with average QB play and less turnovers. This defense can stop anyone. I truly think this defense would hold the packers to AT MOST  20. And that’s probably on an average day. This o line has had one or two bad games and then maybe one or two halves where they weren’t great.. there haven’t been many turnovers outside the QB position, there’s been few injuries, we have some good receivers.. anyone see Jalen go up to Goff yesterday during the game? We have the leadership.. we simply need to stop turning it over. Yes they happen on occasion but I can’t understand how someone can sit here and say 17 turnovers isn’t the reason we aren’t in the playoffs. This team is a true contender without anyone elite at QB. It’s literally been shown time and time again. Maybe I’m somehow missing something but I’m trying to be as none biased as possible here. I love Goff and after that toughness he showed I loved him more.. but he’s the MAIN problem. I said it before. We can win with our other minor problems. We can’t win if Goff is ever THE problem. There’s too much real actual proof that shows that for me not to believe it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

That’s fair and I respect your opinion. But Goff hasn’t been under pressure for half his drop backs in the last two months and yet he has 17 turnovers this year. That’s insane. After Miami everyone said (including me) that he’d fix it and be back to the Goff we saw early on.. but he’s turned it over like 8-9 times since the bye week now. He’s very lucky it’s not more too. I feel like I’m always the villain in here but i truly can’t understand how excuses keep coming up for him. And this is coming from someone that truly likes him. At some point, in my opinion, he needs to overcome some adversity and step the hell up and win us a game. 

If you are reflecting on the season and saying Goff is the biggest problem with the offense, I'd agree. I just don't think he was yesterday. I don't believe someone like Cousins or Ryan is winning that game yesterday. 

I would argue though he has certainly faced adversity and won us a game. First Cardinal game comes to mind. 

7 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

If you are reflecting on the season and saying Goff is the biggest problem with the offense, I'd agree. I just don't think he was yesterday. I don't believe someone like Cousins or Ryan is winning that game yesterday. 

I would argue though he has certainly faced adversity and won us a game. First Cardinal game comes to mind. 

Ahh ok. I agree I think then. There’s probably 2-3 games that come to mind where Goff didn’t play great but not bad and can honestly say those games were a team loss. I’m not sure I agree too much on the cards game though. I think he did average and won, which strengthens my point that we only need average play. Our defense balled out that game after the first long touchdown and special teams even tried ruining that one for us. I still have faith in Goff.. I even said yesterday to a buddy that the broken finger and him popping it back in was the beginning of a great story haha I probably won’t ever give up on him because I know how talented he is. But I do get frustrated when he doesn’t showcase that talent even to a minimum. 

And before @stl4life07  comes and says he put the team on his back in the NFC Championship.. (it’s a joke in case anyone takes it too serious lol) I know he did it once or twice lol Goff is no where near the top of guys I’d CURRENTLY pick to win us a game when it matters most or make that comeback we need. I just have no faith at this moment until he proves the first quarter of the season Goff is back

The Niners and Rams are in eerily similar situations with their starting QBs. One difference is the Niners can get rid of Jimmy this offseason while the Rams cannot. But if both teams do stick with them, then the back up QB situation has to be improved. Both teams may be going after the same QBs to give the starters competition. 

Wolford may completely crap the bed, but I am excited to see what he can do. Looked solid in his short stint in the AAF. The Niners just beat the Cardinals with CJ f'n Beathard at QB. Just have to play strong defense which you guys will and run it down their throats. Henderson/Akers need to be healthy and if they are, I still like the Rams to win this week. 

3 hours ago, MDY10 said:

Think it’s at the same time as us now.

Once again the team comes up short. It’s a shame. Another terrible turnover. Really feels like it’s a guarantee every game. Not sure what to say or think about this team anymore. If I say Goff is the problem y’all get upset even though he’s still the most inconsistent part of this entire team excluding special teams. Still waiting for a QB to put the team on his back. If I’m being honest I think the problem is so obvious that Goff is now trying to do too much to prove people wrong. He’s just digging himself in a bigger hole. He even said he tried getting too cute with it. He showed some serious toughness in this and I hate that it made me like him more. I truly like the dude and I’m still so hopeful for him. But I’m calling things as they are RIGHT NOW and what we HAVE seen. People think I somehow hate him and can’t wait till he’s gone lol couldn’t be further from the truth. Right now, we might have 2-3 problems. But he’s the biggest of all. People just seem too soft to understand the concept of holding yourself accountable 

Eff the NFL for that.

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

We don't necessarily need an upgrade over Goff. We just need a guy who can protect the ball. Some mobility would also be nice to keep the defense on its toes. Wolford is mobile. Then, we just have to hope the running game and defense can step up.

• Like 3