Week 16 - Rams at Seahawks

RamRod

12 minutes ago, The LBC said:

He's an average QB.  I've never disputed that.  However, where we differ is that I think A LOT of QB's in this league (including a lot of starters) are average QB's.  As QB's go, you've got guys that are straight up studs and then a whole helluvalot of average that will have varying degrees of success or failure as the circumstances around them allow.  We put a top OL in the league in front of Goff and an above-average (at times definitely better than that, at times not) rushing attack to take pressure off him and his "average" was camouflaged to the point of looking pretty damn studly.  So, hey, maybe instead of putting the onus on bringing his replacement onto the roster we work at doing what we can to reassemble units like that again (he's a different type of runner from what Gurley was, but it looks like we may have a good part of the way towards part of that with Akers - who is very similar to a type of RB who is very much succeeding in a variant-system to our own, in Aaron Jones).

Should competition be brought in for him?  Definitely.  Should that competition come in with the nod that he's immediately on a level playing field with Goff?  No.  However, if that competition makes a finite case through play that he deserves a shot over Goff then we shouldn't be hesitant to give it to him.  That doesn't mean throwing the baby out with the bathwater or making the decision that we're bringing in someone to replace Goff, we're just stuck with keeping Goff on the roster until such a time as we can let him go at low-cost.  There are flaws to our offense that go beyond Goff and that would still be there without Goff.  And failing to address those while just pitting the crux of the blame on Goff would be outrageously stupid and just asking for a repeat of the same mistakes.

Yes and what did i said this offseason  this weak OL and the lack of depht at this position ? 

I don't need to remind you that i wrote about this a long time ago but people around here was still saying that we don't have to worry about this OL and  to keep faith in the management. 

People around here telling me that we already have enough OL and that we invest a lot in this group....

Well looks like Whitworth injury take the running game down and the passing game down as well. 

Goff can't play without a good OL and a running game. People kept denying this, telling me i'm wrong, that he's progressing well...

Goff is not gonna progress at all, so yes maybe if the management was smarter, we would have invest more on this OL. 

20 minutes ago, Flounch said:

don't need to remind you that i wrote about this a long time ago but people around here was still saying that we don't have to worry about this OL and  to keep faith in the management. 

People around here telling me that we already have enough OL and that we invest a lot in this group....

No, people around here said that what we had as a starting OL was enough to run the offense like it should, and we were doing just that. We all also acknowledged that the depth was at best a question mark, but that’s what we had to work with because we couldn’t pay for a top line guy to bump some of these starters down a rung. 

And just about every one of us said we were in trouble if Whit went down or lost a step. So stop pretending like you were some beacon of truth in the darkness. There was a reason that it took till the last quarter of the season, after Whit went down that you could even start touting this from the offseason

Edited by StLunatic88

19 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Yes and what did i said this offseason  this weak OL and the lack of depht at this position ? 

I don't need to remind you that i wrote about this a long time ago but people around here was still saying that we don't have to worry about this OL and  to keep faith in the management. 

Well looks like Whitworth injury take the running game down and the passing game down as well. 

Goff can't play without a good OL and a running game. People kept denying this, telling me i'm wrong, that he's progressing well...

Goff is not gonna progress at all, so yes maybe if the management was smarter, we would have invest more on this OL. 

What we were saying is we had to see what we had with what we had.  We couldn't just make the assessment that they weren't up to snuff because they couldn't produce when they were having to deal with different combinations of themselves in different ways with each passing week.  They got some continuity this season and we saw that a number of them weren't up to snuff; we can move on from here.  I'd argue it's as much a psychological/attitude issue with some of these guys than a lack of talent, but that doesn't make them less replaceable, and we have more of a window (arguably less assets this next offseason compared to last, but also less pressing needs outside of this particular trench this upcoming one) to undertake that effort - and the draft is deeper this year in that regard, I'd argue.  We've effectively seen that if Noteboom has a future on this team it's at guard, not OT; he doesn't have the feet and the lower-body drive at sealing the edge to be an OT).  Blythe has been solid, but ultimately he's not the kind of center we've seen Kromer's blocking scheme really sing under as far as rushing attacks and securing the POA at the peak of the pocket - we need a mauler of a center there (or a pair of absolute maulers for guards).  Think Max Unger, Ben Grubbs, Jahri Evans mold.

6 minutes ago, The LBC said:

What we were saying is we had to see what we had with what we had.  We couldn't just make the assessment that they weren't up to snuff because they couldn't produce when they were having to deal with different combinations of themselves in different ways with each passing week.  They got some continuity this season and we saw that a number of them weren't up to snuff; we can move on from here.  I'd argue it's as much a psychological/attitude issue with some of these guys than a lack of talent, but that doesn't make them less replaceable, and we have more of a window (arguably less assets this next offseason compared to last, but also less pressing needs outside of this particular trench this upcoming one) to undertake that effort - and the draft is deeper this year in that regard, I'd argue.  We've effectively seen that if Noteboom has a future on this team it's at guard, not OT; he doesn't have the feet and the lower-body drive at sealing the edge to be an OT).  Blythe has been solid, but ultimately he's not the kind of center we've seen Kromer's blocking scheme really sing under as far as rushing attacks and securing the POA at the peak of the pocket - we need a mauler of a center there (or a pair of absolute maulers for guards).  Think Max Unger, Ben Grubbs, Jahri Evans mold.

With the OL, if Whitworth is up for another go, we can solve a lot of issues by sliding Corbett to Center and starting a powerful OG in his place. Blythe gets blown off the ball too often. Corbett would be a powerful guy at the pivot, but he's not a powerful guy at RG. We just need a people-mover at RG. I don't know if that guy is in house or not. As far as Noteboom is concerned, I don't see him as a long-term answer. He's a serviceable pass protector at LT, but he's not that at LG. But he's not a good run blocker.

Edited by jrry32

2 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Anyone have any medical knowledge on what a broken thumb could mean? It seems to me at best Goff will be somewhat compromised for the rest of the year, correct? 

No idea. If he can't play, we'll find out what we have in Wolford. Here's hoping the OL can run block. Here's also hoping we have a freaking decent HB to play (considering Akers's and Hendo's statuses).

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

With the OL, if Whitworth is up for another go, we can solve a lot of issues by sliding Corbett to Center and starting a powerful OG in his place. Blythe gets blown off the ball too often. Corbett would be a powerful guy at the pivot, but he's not a powerful guy at RG. We just need a people-mover at RG. I don't know if that guy is in house or not. As far as Noteboom is concerned, I don't see him as a long-term answer. He's a serviceable pass protector at LT, but he's not that at LG. But he's not a good run blocker.

Yeah, I mean, I really (and I mean REALLY) like Landon Dickerson out of Bama and think he actually can have a long-term future in the League at center, but I also think he's quite capable of playing guard as well.

I really, really love the idea of grooming someone like Abraham Lucas behind Whitworth, but I'm pretty confident that someone is going to take him well before we'd even sniff him - because his feet are too pro-ready right now as a pass-protector and that will move him up boards quickly.

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

No idea. If he can't play, we'll find out what we have in Wolford. Here's hoping the OL can run block. Here's also hoping we have a freaking decent HB to play (considering Akers's and Hendo's statuses).

And considering that I doubt CJ Anderson (who at least would know the playbook) is in playing shape, as he's been a volunteer coach at Cal this season.

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

And considering that I doubt CJ Anderson (who at least would know the playbook) is in playing shape, as he's been a volunteer coach at Cal this season.

Yeah, it would have to be Raymond Calais or Xavier Jones as the #2 HB, if Hendo and Akers are both out. God, that would be rough if we're stuck with our #2 QB and #3 HB.

4 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, I mean, I really (and I mean REALLY) like Landon Dickerson out of Bama and think he actually can have a long-term future in the League at center, but I also think he's quite capable of playing guard as well.

I really, really love the idea of grooming someone like Abraham Lucas behind Whitworth, but I'm pretty confident that someone is going to take him well before we'd even sniff him - because his feet are too pro-ready right now as a pass-protector and that will move him up boards quickly.

I'd rather get a powerful OG than a C.

• Like 1

Goff will play Week 17 against the Cards. He hasnt missed a start due to injury in his career. This game is for the Rams to get into the playoffs. I know the Packers can beat the Bears but the Rams dont want to 1) back into the playoffs and 2) loss 3 straight even if they get into the playoffs. The only team to win the Superbowl losing 3 straight heading into the playoffs was the Saints. The Rams have Superbowl aspirations regardless of what anyone says. I hear some on hear saying they hope the Rams dont make the playoffs. To you I say bug off just because these players work so hard and making the playoffs is their reward for all the hard work. Goal number one is to win the division, goal number two is to make the playoffs. Obviously the Rams came so close to winning the division but failed. They can still achieve their next goal which is to make the playoffs. I still think the Rams can make a run. They have a championship defense and their offense can get it done on any given Sunday.

The thing the Rams miss right now is Whitworth and a surging Akers. I kept saying Akers is one of the most important players of the teams who are going to make the playoffs. The Packers in what 2010 literally was on the verge of missing the playoffs then they got hot. Why? Not because of ARod but because of James Starks. He help carry the Packers to winning the Superbowl. I think Akers can do that. Whitworth stabilizes the OL and the offense. His presence in the huddle is huge. Both him and Akers coming back will not only give this offense a big spark but this team in general. Right now though these are the times we see what this team is made of. I predicted the Rams to be (10-6) and make the playoffs before the season started so if they win Sunday I will be right. Now could the Rams have been better? Yes but again as I always say its tough to win in the NFL. Even the heavy favorite Chiefs have barely been getting by this season with wins. They couldve easily lost at least 3 games this season and possibly more when I think about the Bucs, Broncos, and Saints game. I was thinking about the Raiders, Falcons, and Patriots games. But we shall see what happens next week. Again I think Goff plays with the playoffs on the line and I think he delivers how he usually does against the Cards. Thats the one team Goff has great success against when it comes to not just wins but the stats like everyone wants to point out when they talk about Goff.