EirePackers Xmas eve mock

EirePacker

For this mock I'm working under the assumption of the cap staying flat, as things stand where right up against it for 2021.

CUTS

• C Kirksey (6mil) - The play of Martin & Barnes make him an easy cut.
  • R Wagner (4.25mil) -  Cut due to age/cap hit, Ill look to find a developmental OT in the draft.

RE-SIGNINGS

• J Williams (2yrs 6mil)
  • M Lewis 1yr (1.25mil)
  • R Tonyan 2nd Round tender (3.4mil)
  • ERFAS (6mil)

All other free agents hit the market.

• Extend D Adams (3yrs 60mil)
  • Restructure Bak's 2021 roster bonus (11.5mil)

DRAFT

The packers are projected to have comp picks in Rounds 4,5,6 so thats what i went with

31.) CB Eric Stokes, Georgia

See the source image

• High waisted boundary corner who reminds me of Kevin king
  • Solid & willing tackler
  • Got his hands on a few balls this season before opting out.

63.) DT Christian Barmore, Alabama

See the source image

• Surprisingly mobile for a guy 6'5 & 310lbs
  • 6 sacks & 3 ff's so far this season,
  • Would slot in beside KC & Keke to clog the middle & improve our interior penetration.

94.) OT Brady Christensen, BYU

See the source image

• Developmental OT to learn from Bak until taking over the RT job.

132.) WR  Dazz Newsome, UNC

• Shifty slot guy, reminds me a lot of R Cobb.
  • Quality Punt & Kicker returner.

Pick 137.) S Caden Sterns, Texas

• Rangy safety to allow Savage & Amos to play closer to the LOS.
  • Takes poor angles in pursuit
  • Could do with adding more strength

Pick 171.) CB TJ Carter, Memphis

Image result for tj carter memphis cb

• Broke out as a freshman but has been quiet since, will provide depth and challenge Sullivan for reps.

Pick 175.) LB Monty Rice, Georgia

Image result for monty rice uga

• Smart LB with good 5-10 yard agility
  •  Lacks ideal height/length.

Pick 208.) WR Jonathan Adams Jr. Arkansas State

• Built the way Gute likes at 6'3 & 210lb
  • Good hands
  • Inconsistent blocker

Pick 214.) Edge Patrick Johnson, Tulane

• Jack of all trades player who could be used in the fackrell role
  • 10 sacks, 14.5 tfl and 2 ff's on the season

Pick 251.) RB Max Borghi, Washington State

• Smaller shiftier kind of RB than Williams & Dillon
  • Ideal in that Dion Lewis receiving back role
  • Lacks top end speed

OFFENCE (24)

QB: Rodgers, Love

RB: Williams, Dillion, Borghi

HB: Deguara

TE: Tonyan, Sternberger, Lewis

WR: Adams, Lazard, Funchess, MVS, Newsome, Adams

LT: Bak, Nijman

LG: Jenkins,

OC: Patrick, Hanson

RG: Runyan, Stepanski

RT: Turner, Christensen

DEFENCE (26)

Edge: Z, Gary, Johnson

DT: KC, Barmore

DT: KK, Lowry

Edge: Smith, Ramsey,  Garvin

LB: Martin, Rice

LB: Barnes, Summers

CB: Alexander, Jackson

CB: Stokes, Carter

NB: Sullivan, Holloman

S: Amos, Scott,

S: Savage, Sterns

Happy Xmas all, Stay safe.

• Like 2

I know nothing about any college players at this juncture, so my critique is mostly positional based.

I really like the free agency moves.  Cutting Kirksey and Wagner creates a little cap room, and doesn't create a new hole to fill.  Count me as one who wants to keep Marcedes Lewis around as long as he wants to be here (at a reasonable price, of course).  Extending Adams is a very good idea as well.  Keep him for the entirety of his prime, and possibly be part of the bridge from Rodgers to Love.

In the draft, I love going CB early.  We lose King in this scenario, and I think that is the most prudent move.  We are also going to have to pay Jaire, and I hope that you just missed that Sullivan is a RFA, but he won't be cheap for long either, if he continues to play well.  This gives us a relatively cheap CB for at least 4 seasons.  I also like that you double dipped at the position.  I like Ka'dar Hollman, but he is the old man of the group already.  Keep giving Jerry Gray athletes to work with!

I also like taking a DT in the second.  Adding another player to Clark-Lowry-Keke that can actually play gives us a pretty solid group.  If he shows that he can play well enough, there is a good out in Lowry's contract for 2022.

Taking an OT is also a good idea.  We will still have Turner, and Jenkins has shown that he can play any of the 5, but we will probably look to get cheaper at RT especially in a couple of seasons.  I might even double dip with tackles, I think we still have quite the interior depth on the line but the OT depth is not quite there.  Plus, wouldn't it just stick in the craw of everyone if we just pull another 5 years of great OL?  I think that I would double up at OT with one of the WR picks, the RB, or the Edge.  We probably need to add more to the WR room, EQ, MVS, Funchess, Lazard are all FAs in 2022.  I don't know that we need two though.  I question if the RB can beat Patrick Taylor, who I really like, and Dexter Williams is still hanging around as well.  I can see the edge, but I would suggest taking another look at the guys that we brought in this offseason.  I really like Jonathan Garvin, Tipa Galeai, and Delontae Scott.

[edit] I just watched the Jonathan Adams highlights...  Give me a WR tandem of Adams and Adams please.

Edited by ThatJerkDave
  • Like 2

I like that you double dipped at CB in this one and if Kevin King is gone then yes, go CB immediately; especially because Tufele will probably be off the board by 31 if that's where we pick. I love the Barmore pick as well, but think you could've double-dipped at IDL as well because we know Lowry, Keke, and Clark will be back for sure, so adding Barmore leaves at least one more spot at IDL open. I actually really like the Max Borghi pick at the end. He's a smaller back but you wouldn't know it if you saw him play. He's very agile and more quick than fast; he's also a bit of a bowling ball as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I know nothing about any college players at this juncture, so my critique is mostly positional based.

I really like the free agency moves.  Cutting Kirksey and Wagner creates a little cap room, and doesn't create a new hole to fill.  Count me as one who wants to keep Marcedes Lewis around as long as he wants to be here (at a reasonable price, of course).  Extending Adams is a very good idea as well.  Keep him for the entirety of his prime, and possibly be part of the bridge from Rodgers to Love.

In the draft, I love going CB early.  We lose King in this scenario, and I think that is the most prudent move.  We are also going to have to pay Jaire, and I hope that you just missed that Sullivan is a RFA, but he won't be cheap for long either, if he continues to play well.  This gives us a relatively cheap CB for at least 4 seasons.  I also like that you double dipped at the position.  I like Ka'dar Hollman, but he is the old man of the group already.  Keep giving Jerry Gray athletes to work with!

I also like taking a DT in the second.  Adding another player to Clark-Lowry-Keke that can actually play gives us a pretty solid group.  If he shows that he can play well enough, there is a good out in Lowry's contract for 2022.

Taking an OT is also a good idea.  We will still have Turner, and Jenkins has shown that he can play any of the 5, but we will probably look to get cheaper at RT especially in a couple of seasons.  I might even double dip with tackles, I think we still have quite the interior depth on the line but the OT depth is not quite there.  Plus, wouldn't it just stick in the craw of everyone if we just pull another 5 years of great OL?  I think that I would double up at OT with one of the WR picks, the RB, or the Edge.  We probably need to add more to the WR room, EQ, MVS, Funchess, Lazard are all FAs in 2022.  I don't know that we need two though.  I question if the RB can beat Patrick Taylor, who I really like, and Dexter Williams is still hanging around as well.  I can see the edge, but I would suggest taking another look at the guys that we brought in this offseason.  I really like Jonathan Garvin, Tipa Galeai, and Delontae Scott.

[edit] I just watched the Jonathan Adams highlights...  Give me a WR tandem of Adams and Adams please.

I thought sullivan was an ERFA, not sure what got that into my head.

I havent seen much of Taylor but I'm not a fan of D William's, Borghi would bring a different skillset to J Will & Dillon. Hes like a less athletic Antonio Gibson for Washington, worthy of a late round flier.

Patrick, Galaei, Ramsey & Scott can all battle it out for for #3 edge snaps once Preston's Smith's gone.

Dazz Newome would slot straight in as our PR/KR/Gadget guy while Johnathon Adams would fill in EQ's spot.

3 hours ago, Joe said:

I like that you double dipped at CB in this one and if Kevin King is gone then yes, go CB immediately; especially because Tufele will probably be off the board by 31 if that's where we pick. I love the Barmore pick as well, but think you could've double-dipped at IDL as well because we know Lowry, Keke, and Clark will be back for sure, so adding Barmore leaves at least one more spot at IDL open. I actually really like the Max Borghi pick at the end. He's a smaller back but you wouldn't know it if you saw him play. He's very agile and more quick than fast; he's also a bit of a bowling ball as well.

I done the draft on TDN, Tufele was gone before our 1st rounder.

Ideally i wanted to double dip at DT aswell but between Z rushing up the middle in passing situations, Gary's ability to play inside situationally and the lack of value on the board at DT at the other picks I went elsewhere.

My thought is we could pick up one or 2 run plugs as UDFA's after the draft and hope one sticks. 

It's a shame Borghi opted out this year. It's tough to evaluate RB's in that Washington scheme as everything is either off the edge or through the air.

Hes a different kind of back to Jwill and Dillon though, if hes spent the season working on his pass blocking he be a great value pick that late.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why do you restructure Bakh and extend Adams and then not use any money? Mock needs free agents before I'd be happy with this off-season.

We have the #1 seed and the #1 offense with Kirksey and Wagner as our only free agents and Rodgers getting paid 10 million less this year than next and our entire 2020 draft was investment in 2021 and beyond.

If you think we’re signing many or possibly any free agents, you’re in for a rude March.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

We have the #1 seed and the #1 offense with Kirksey and Wagner as our only free agents and Rodgers getting paid 10 million less this year than next and our entire 2020 draft was investment in 2021 and beyond.

If you think we’re signing many or possibly any free agents, you’re in for a rude March.

There's no point to creating cap space (as has been done in this scenario) and not using any of it.

I don't care if it's not an outside FA. Bring back Jones/Linsley/King. Why would Bakh creates more cap space for this team to carryover into 2022? He wouldn't.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

There's no point to creating cap space (as has been done in this scenario) and not using any of it.

I don't care if it's not an outside FA. Bring back Jones/Linsley/King. Why would Bakh creates more cap space for this team to carryover into 2022? He wouldn't.

Ah, I get what you were saying now. 

5 hours ago, EirePacker said:

I thought sullivan was an ERFA, not sure what got that into my head.

I havent seen much of Taylor but I'm not a fan of D William's, Borghi would bring a different skillset to J Will & Dillon. Hes like a less athletic Antonio Gibson for Washington, worthy of a late round flier.

Patrick, Galaei, Ramsey & Scott can all battle it out for for #3 edge snaps once Preston's Smith's gone.

Dazz Newome would slot straight in as our PR/KR/Gadget guy while Johnathon Adams would fill in EQ's spot.

I absolutely agree about Dexter Williams.  Check out some of Patrick Taylor at Memphis.  He reminds me a lot of James Starks.  Watching the Borghi highlights, I don't see a lack of speed.  He isn't the Flash, but he looked fast enough.  If we draft a player like this, could it be a cheaper version of the Ervin/Tavon role?

I was mainly looking at players where we already had pretty good depth, to try to take another swing at an OT.  Like, I think we can get by just fine with what we have at RB, Edge, and just adding 1 WR, not that any of them are poor selections.  Yosh Nijman is what you would draw if you were told make me an offensive tackle, but is he capable of playing? The line shuffle when Bakhtiari has been down would suggest that there are other alignments that the coaches prefer.  I think we need to at least add more competition there, especially if we lose Wagner, as we do in this mock.

I also like the safety from Texas.  When we play as much 3 safety as we do, we should invest in the position.  (I'm still driving the Vernon Scott band wagon though)

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Why do you restructure Bakh and extend Adams and then not use any money? Mock needs free agents before I'd be happy with this off-season.

Very true, so in an ideal world we would sign a vet at whatever position on a 1 year deal to help push us over the top next season but still maintaining flexibility to resign Jaire.

Am I on the right train of thought.? What position would you target?

I just done the mock on tdn yesterday morning and spent an hour doing the write up, honestly didnt even think of FA's 😅

5 minutes ago, EirePacker said:

Very true, so in an ideal world we would sign a vet at whatever position on a 1 year deal to help push us over the top next season but still maintaining flexibility to resign Jaire.

Am I on the right train of thought.? What position would you target?

I just done the mock on tdn yesterday morning and spent an hour doing the write up, honestly didnt even think of FA's 😅

DL or CB in this scenario. We've got a 5th year option on Jaire I'm sure we'll use, so 2 years to re-sign him. By then who knows what contracts will be on/off the books?