Week 16: Panthers at Football Team

turtle28

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Because free agency is so hit-or-miss. You are also setting the immediate bar that McLaurin is going to compare against.

If you treat McLaurin as cheap for two more years, you will almost assuredly get into high stakes negotiations. He's cheap for one more year, and then you pay him.

I would certainly be open to getting a deal done after next season if he was willing to take a discounted price.  That is a great option, but I don't stress about it.  In the end, he will get what he is worth and I have no problem paying him what he is worth on open market.  In the end, I think you plan on waiting because it is likely a couple years until we have the QB situation resolved and TM might not want to sign without that situation clearer.

But either way, you don't sit on your hands at WR.  You don't make McLaurin your all or nothing guy.  What if he tears an ACL and we lose him for a full season?  You need more than Wright, AGG and Cam Sims.  And if you are going to get more, don't give me some half *** player, get a baller.  The list of WR free agents is crazy long this year and so the bargaining will reflect that. 

9 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I would certainly be open to getting a deal done after next season if he was willing to take a discounted price.  That is a great option, but I don't stress about it.  In the end, he will get what he is worth and I have no problem paying him what he is worth on open market.  In the end, I think you plan on waiting because it is likely a couple years until we have the QB situation resolved and TM might not want to sign without that situation clearer.

But either way, you don't sit on your hands at WR.  You don't make McLaurin your all or nothing guy.  What if he tears an ACL and we lose him for a full season?  You need more than Wright, AGG and Cam Sims.  And if you are going to get more, don't give me some half *** player, get a baller.  The list of WR free agents is crazy long this year and so the bargaining will reflect that. 

You certainly sign another WR, but you don’t need to give that guy a $100 million contract. You also don’t Bruce Allen aka low ball you own drafted and developed talent. That’s an awful way to build a franchise. You keep your own and give them what they deserve if they’ve earned it, and Terry has.

They also need to draft a WR next year again, preferably above the comp pick in the 4th round.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

I would certainly be open to getting a deal done after next season if he was willing to take a discounted price.

Why low ball him? Pay him the market value at the time and lock him up. The price will be cheaper than waiting until year four.

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

In the end, he will get what he is worth and I have no problem paying him what he is worth on open market.

Why allow him to sniff the open market? Just lock him up and get it over with.

2 minutes ago, offbyone said:

In the end, I think you plan on waiting because it is likely a couple years until we have the QB situation resolved and TM might not want to sign without that situation clearer.

Guy has had Case Keenum, Colt McCoy, Dwayne Haskins, and Kyle Allen throwing him the ball (alongside Alex Smith, the only reasonable QB of the bunch).

I don't think he is going to be all that picky if the QB looks even adequate.

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

But either way, you don't sit on your hands at WR.  You don't make McLaurin your all or nothing guy.  What if he tears an ACL and we lose him for a full season? 

Where did I say that you completely ignore the WR corps?

5 minutes ago, offbyone said:

And if you are going to get more, don't give me some half *** player, get a baller.  The list of WR free agents is crazy long this year and so the bargaining will reflect that. 

At the same time, I'm not sure you need a baller for this offense. Is spending the money required to get say a T.Y. Hilton here worth it given how they seem to want to go horizontal and spread the field? If they are looking to upgrade the WR position, I would look to either Corey Davis or Curtis Samuel (if by some miracle he hits the open market). Maybe Keelan Cole.

I'm not saying dumpster dive, but at the same time, I'm not sure they need to play at the top of the market.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Why low ball him? Pay him the market value at the time and lock him up. The price will be cheaper than waiting until year four.

Why allow him to sniff the open market? Just lock him up and get it over with.

Guy has had Case Keenum, Colt McCoy, Dwayne Haskins, and Kyle Allen throwing him the ball (alongside Alex Smith, the only reasonable QB of the bunch).

I don't think he is going to be all that picky if the QB looks even adequate.

Where did I say that you completely ignore the WR corps?

At the same time, I'm not sure you need a baller for this offense. Is spending the money required to get say a T.Y. Hilton here worth it given how they seem to want to go horizontal and spread the field? If they are looking to upgrade the WR position, I would look to either Corey Davis or Curtis Samuel (if by some miracle he hits the open market). Maybe Keelan Cole.

I'm not saying dumpster dive, but at the same time, I'm not sure they need to play at the top of the market.

my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

As E said, we don’t need a TE 1 anymore, Logan Thomas broke out once Alex took over and even played well last week when Dwayne was in there.

We can sign a TE like Jacob Hollister or an equivalent to be a blocker and better receiving option than Sprinkle and we should draft a TE in the mid to late rounds like we should’ve done last year but stupidly didn’t.

Going to disagree with you both here.

I think Logan Thomas is adequate, but they need a true force at the position. Look to what a Kittle/Kelce do. Heck, what Reed did when he was healthy.

That is worth significantly more than a pair of meh-to-good options.

• Like 1

Just now, lavar703 said:

Also, I don’t know why people are acting like Samuel would be an option here? I’m pretty sure Rivera and Turner benched him to oblivion last season....unless I read that wrong 

Maybe a second glance given how he tore them up today?

But you are right. There's also the stronger possibilities he stays put since he seems to be flourishing in Carolina now, and a possible aversion to come back under Rivera/Turner.

42 minutes ago, e16bball said:

How do you differentiate between a WR1 target and a WR2? How high are you willing to go price-wise — and how low are you willing to go production wise?

I’ve seen a number of posters make a similar point (we don’t need a WR1, just a WR2), but I’m not sure what that means, other than someone worse than McLaurin. How bad/cheap can a guy be and still qualify as a WR2 in your book?

I think one of the three picks in rounds 2-3 will be a great place to locate a really quality slot WR type.

And as for TE, based on where I think we’ll be drafting and what I’m seeing at the position in FA, I think there’s a real good chance that the 2021 TE1 will be the same as the 2020 TE1. 

What I’m looking at is something like @LoganF89’s suggestion of Corey Davis in FA, a guy like one of the Moores (Rondale or Elijah) or St. Brown or Toney in the 2nd to play in the slot, and then more of a complementary TE to bring a little more blocking than Thomas and more receiving ability than Sprinkle (let’s say Mo Alie-Cox for @MKnight82, because it’s Christmas, the season of perpetual hope). Does that meet the criteria?

I guess I have more of an archetype for WR#2.  With McLaurin as our #1, I would love to add a bigger-bodied receiver- someone 6'3-6'5, who has great hands and is a red zone weapon.  Claypool would be a great comparison, or Pierre Garcon with height.  AGG fits the mold as far as body goes, but I have to say, the drops today were concerning, especially coming on the heels of the horrible season he had in 2018.  

If we go into the season with Logan Thomas as the TE1, I get it, but I think it's a mistake.  If nothing else, he's a placeholder if someone is drafted and starts as the TE2.  I haven't been that impressed with him, and just think he's getting the volume of touches because it's what the offense is dictating.  

Corey Davis fits the mold, but I am concerned that he might have some of the same risk when we signed Paul Richardson.  A guy who has good talent but has battled injuries, and is coming out of a "not-so-usual" offense, so it is a little bit harder to judge him.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Corey Davis fits the mold, but I am concerned that he might have some of the same risk when we signed Paul Richardson.  A guy who has good talent but has battled injuries, and is coming out of a "not-so-usual" offense, so it is a little bit harder to judge him. 

I have always had a weakness for top draft talent players from small schools. It's easy to get drafted in the first round from an Alabama or a Clemson. To be considered out of Western Michigan shows some honest to goodness talent.

The injury risk angle is a major gamble and I would be willing to shelve my admitted weakness on that front in the face of a guy who cannot stay on the field.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Also, while Haskins has been a total and complete disaster this year, I wonder how different things would’ve been with his development had KOC stuck around? Maybe he still would’ve sucked but man we’re terrible at developing young QBs. 

The zero offseason with a brand new coaching staff and system probably didn't help one lick either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Also, while Haskins has been a total and complete disaster this year, I wonder how different things would’ve been with his development had KOC stuck around? Maybe he still would’ve sucked but man we’re terrible at developing young QBs. 

The guy just seems like a knucklehead.  I don't think he was working out here no matter what.  He needed to go somewhere with a disciplinarian.  Getting handpicked by the owner as the savior did nothing good for his ego.