Week 16: Panthers at Football Team

turtle28

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

Dobbs is a free agent in a month-plus time (as well as being inactive today). So I don't think he really qualifies much for the equation. Rudolph is only under contract for one more year.

They like him though, they drafted him first of all and could bring back Dobbs, they have before after Jax cut him a few years ago.

12 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I think Haskins most realistic options are the St. Louis Battlehawks or the Montreal Alouettes. He just got embarassed by an XFL player and played one of the worst games of his life today

I wonder if he’ll just sit out though like RG3 did if he doesn’t get an offer from anyone next year. Of course RG3 did her an offer from the Ravens a few years ago, he just stupidly turned it down at first bc he thought he should still be a starter and he still thinks that.

He’d be wise to play in the XFL or the CFL to improve and actually play some football rather than just riding the pine but, who knows. 

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I wonder if he’ll just sit out though like RG3 did if he doesn’t get an offer from anyone next year. He’d be wise to play in the XFL or the CFL to improve and actually play some football rather than just riding the pine but, who knows. 

I think Dwayne might have some off the field/personality issues at this point that we aren't hearing about. That's a good idea for him to just take a break.

1 minute ago, taylor made said:

I think Dwayne might have some off the field/personality issues at this point that we aren't hearing about. That's a good idea for him to just take a break.

Does that help him? He’d  have millions of $ at 23 years old next year with no responsibility. Not sure that’s a good thing for him either.

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I wonder if he’ll just sit out though like RG3 did if he doesn’t get an offer from anyone next year. He’d be wise to play in the XFL or the CFL to improve and actually play some football rather than just riding the pine but, who knows. 

Nothing will ever happen for him until he wants it. None of the silly shirtless summer throws to uncovered wide receivers. When he’s reportedly the last guy in and the first one gone most days that’s not a good thing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They like him though, they drafted him first of all and could bring back Dobbs, they have before after Jax cut him a few years ago.

Like him so much that he was a gameday inactive today? Does he want to come back to being the 3rd string QB with the upside of maybe being 2nd string if Roethlisberger decides to hang up his cleats?

And this loss has to fall on Rivera as well. We all knew after the first quarter Dwayne was done. You could it see in his lifeless interactions on the sidelines coupled with his terrible play. Ron has to understand the situation and make a move. The season is basically on the line and you’re playing a bad team. Do something! Also, the field goal was outrageously stupid. I honestly have no idea what he was thinking but it’s over with. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

And this loss has to fall on Rivera as well. We all knew after the first quarter Dwayne was done. You could it see in his lifeless interactions on the sidelines coupled with his terrible play. Ron has to understand the situation and make a move. The season is basically on the line and you’re playing a bad team. Do something! Also, the field goal was outrageously stupid. I honestly have no idea what he was thinking but it’s over with. 

The random, unexpected passivity/timidity that has shown up a multiple times throughout the season from Rivera and this coaching staff is somewhat concerning.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

As E said, we don’t need a TE 1 anymore, Logan Thomas broke out once Alex took over and even played well last week when Dwayne was in there.

We can sign a TE like Jacob Hollister or an equivalent to be a blocker and better receiving option than Sprinkle and we should draft a TE in the mid to late rounds like we should’ve done last year but stupidly didn’t.

I get sick to my stomach watching  Harrison Bryant make plays every week but, I guess we couldn’t have predicted that Saahdiq Charles got hurt and if he hadn’t I think he would’ve been our answer at LG or LT this year.

I’m still not sure AGG deserved to get drafted over some of the other TEs either who went after Bryant and Albert O.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Going to disagree with you both here.

I think Logan Thomas is adequate, but they need a true force at the position. Look to what a Kittle/Kelce do. Heck, what Reed did when he was healthy.

That is worth significantly more than a pair of meh-to-good options.

Just for the record, I wasn’t saying I’m happy or satisfied with Thomas as TE1.

All I’m saying is that I see maybe one legit TE1 in free agency (Hunter Henry) and one prospect with early TE1 potential in the draft (Kyle Pitts). And I think it’s probably a longshot that we land either of those guys. Henry isn’t going somewhere without a QB unless we significantly overpay, and I probably couldn’t do that for a guy with his injury history. And assuming we win next week, Pitts won’t still be there when we pick.

So I’m making my peace with just landing a complementary player in FA and perhaps a developmental speed/blocking combo in the draft. Thomas is nothing special, but he’s okay. And I’m not sure we’ll be able to land anybody much better than okay.

23 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Just for the record, I wasn’t saying I’m happy or satisfied with Thomas as TE1.

All I’m saying is that I see maybe one legit TE1 in free agency (Hunter Henry) and one prospect with early TE1 potential in the draft (Kyle Pitts). And I think it’s probably a longshot that we land either of those guys. Henry isn’t going somewhere without a QB unless we significantly overpay, and I probably couldn’t do that for a guy with his injury history. And assuming we win next week, Pitts won’t still be there when we pick.

So I’m making my peace with just landing a complementary player in FA and perhaps a developmental speed/blocking combo in the draft. Thomas is nothing special, but he’s okay. And I’m not sure we’ll be able to land anybody much better than okay.

Pat Freiermuth out of Penn State is a legit TE prospect that could go late first or second round.  

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Why low ball him? Pay him the market value at the time and lock him up. The price will be cheaper than waiting until year four.

If you aren't going to get a deal on him, then what is the point of locking him up 2 years early? 

The price won't be cheaper because if this is the standard you are setting, then you are opening the door to pay him again in two years.  Not to mention, if you don't use the whole rookie contract, then you are essentially paying him free agent money.  Might as well just pay a free agent.  Terry is great and I would call him a #1 receiver, but he is far from the best WR in league.  Seems like you are giving him the best in the league treatment.

Edited by offbyone

11 minutes ago, offbyone said:

If you aren't going to get a deal on him, then what is the point of locking him up 2 years early? 

Because by paying him early you avoid the later contract inflation. In essence, you get him cheaper the sooner you sign him.

11 minutes ago, offbyone said:

The price won't be cheaper because if this is the standard you are setting, then you are opening the door to pay him again in two years.

I already corrected myself and pointed out that you couldn't negotiate with him until after year three. So there would only be one year remaining on his rookie deal.

13 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Not to mention, if you don't use the whole rookie contract, then you are essentially paying him free agent money.  Might as well just pay a free agent.

This risks losing him as a free agent. What's the point in that? The one extra year of rookie savings is worth losing the best wide receiver the franchise has drafted since Art Monk or Gary Clark (if you want to include the USFL Expansion Draft)?

And why pay a free agent that doesn't know your system or coaching staff over one that does? Are you sure to replace McLaurin's output?

15 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Terry is great and I would call him a #1 receiver, but he is far from the best WR in league.  Seems like you are giving him the best in the league treatment.

You know, paying him early to avoid a contentious negotiation shows that I really want him around. I might actually get a better deal from him if I show him some courtesy by opening negotiations earlier than I have to. Yeah, I might still end up paying the top market, but that's what he's going to go for. Why (re)create the image that Washington is a bunch of cheap skinflints that don't care about the talent they have when you can say "you know, he's a damn good receiver and we want to keep him?"

It's as much as PR and signalling for other players/agents as it is to keep McLaurin.

Treat people well and they'll hang around even when things go south. They'll also talk up organization so you can good people as well.

Is he the best in the league? Maybe not. He's certainly closer than anyone Washington has had in a long time. Why not act like he's the best in the league if just as a "wine and dine" effort? As you said, you don't get anything for sitting on your salary cap. Open it up for guys who have earned it here and build around them.

• Like 1