What Song Are You Listening To?

D82

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Willie Adler

Wow man that's really cool. I saw them in concert a few years ago but I couldn't get closer than 15 feet.

So this song they played/recorded during covid was done right across the street from your house?

2 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Wow man that's really cool. I saw them in concert a few years ago but I couldn't get closer than 15 feet.

So this song they played/recorded during covid was done right across the street from your house?

I guess Willie's part was.  I don't think the drummer lives in Richmond.  I've met Randy a few times.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I guess Willie's part was.  I don't think the drummer lives in Richmond.  I've met Randy a few times.  

Very cool. I'm a little jealous. I saw them open for Slipknot at the Amphitheatre at Lakewood Atlanta Georgia. Some girl high on something laid down and started playing with her diddles so I missed some of the Slipknot concert while I tried not to puke. 

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I’d you like those bands I don’t understand why you wouldn’t like old In Flames

I like their first three albums (and the Subterranean EP). Everything beyond that is like listening to recordings of my grandparents *******. 

27 minutes ago, Starless said:

I like their first three albums (and the Subterranean EP). Everything beyond that is like listening to recordings of my grandparents *******. 

I agree they’ve sold out and gone way too far with it but I enjoyed the balance they found with their middle albums. 

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I agree they’ve sold out and gone way too far with it but I enjoyed the balance they found with their middle albums. 

Most of those old Swedish bands from the early-to-mid 90s altered their sound to some degree. In Flames was just the most egregious one because they basically started writing bad pop music. 

I actually love what Dark Tranquillity did from 'Projector' onward because it significantly expanded the scope of what was possible to incorporate into a metal framework. Katatonia has effectively conquered every style of music they've attempted - even their weakest album is a 3/5 for me. At the Gates lost me with 'Slaughter of the Soul', but they have the excuse that their most creative member left the band. I'm not a big fan of Opeth's post-'Watershed' albums (In Cauda Venenum was fine, but the 3 prior to that were boring) but it seems to me like they're now making the music they've always wanted to make, and there's no denying that their output is still very ambitious. Then you've got bands like Diabolique, Cemetary and Tiamat, which went in more of a gothic/electronic direction and did a good job with it.

In Flames is the only one of those bands whose later output feels like a total abandonment of principles.

Edited by Starless

10 minutes ago, Starless said:

Most of those old Swedish bands from the early-to-mid 90s altered their sound to some degree. In Flames was just the most egregious one because they basically started writing bad pop music. 

I actually love what Dark Tranquillity did from 'Projector' onward because it significantly expanded the scope of what was possible to incorporate into a metal framework. Katatonia has effectively conquered every style of music they've attempted - even their weakest album is a 3/5 for me. At the Gates lost me with 'Slaughter of the Soul', but they have the excuse that their most creative member left the band. I'm not a big fan of Opeth's post-'Watershed' albums (In Cauda Venenum was fine, but the 3 prior to that were boring) but it seems to me like they're now making the music they've always wanted to make, and there's no denying that their output is still very ambitious. Then you've got bands like Diabolique, Cemetary and Tiamat, which went in more of a gothic/electronic direction and did a good job with it.

In Flames is the only one of those bands whose later output feels like a total abandonment of principles.

Their new stuff is utter garbage, and I don’t know if you listened to their re-recording of some of the Clayman tracks but it’s embarrassing. I agree with you that they changed their sound drastically from their first albums, but honestly I didn’t like their first albums and enjoyed the early hybrid stuff they were doing (adding melodic stuff to their heavy sound). Like I said before, Clayman, Reroute to Remain and Soundtrack to Your Escape I really enjoyed.  After that they lost me.