What Song Are You Listening To?

D82

31 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You live in Richmond too, put some lamb of god on.

The music part of it is fine, but when it's constantly that raspy, deep screaming... I just can't get into it. Don't mind it in burts... but the whole thing, no thanks. 

My brother in law loves it though. Cannibal Corpse, Baronness, etc. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Their new stuff is utter garbage, and I don’t know if you listened to their re-recording of some of the Clayman tracks but it’s embarrassing. I agree with you that they changed their sound drastically from their first albums, but honestly I didn’t like their first albums and enjoyed the early hybrid stuff they were doing (adding melodic stuff to their heavy sound). Like I said before, Clayman, Reroute to Remain and Soundtrack to Your Escape I really enjoyed.  After that they lost me. 

how much Katatonia have you listened to?

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

It's definitely their most Led Zeppelin story album yet. Rush and early T-Rex too. 

I absolutely love how much they sound like Zep. I don't care that it's a total ripoff. It's the closest to Zep we have ever gotten from a modern day band. 

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

The music part of it is fine, but when it's constantly that raspy, deep screaming... I just can't get into it. Don't mind it in burts... but the whole thing, no thanks. 

My brother in law loves it though. Cannibal Corpse, Baronness, etc. 

Same sentiments about LOG. The music is phenomenal. If I could find recording without the vocals I'd listen to it all day. I just cannot bear the deep throat grumbling and gurgling stuff. I can take it in short spurts if there is a killer vocal hook in the song. But 45 minutes straight of it... nope. 

I follow Mark Morton on Twitter and he's awesome

4 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I absolutely love how much they sound like Zep. I don't care that it's a total ripoff. It's the closest to Zep we have ever gotten from a modern day band. 

Same sentiments about LOG. The music is phenomenal. If I could find recording without the vocals I'd listen to it all day. I just cannot bear the deep throat grumbling and gurgling stuff. I can take it in short spurts if there is a killer vocal hook in the song. But 45 minutes straight of it... nope. 

I follow Mark Morton on Twitter and he's awesome

When people say stuff like this, what I always wonder is, what kind of vocals do you imagine that kind of music having for it to be something you enjoy? There are definitely instances where a different vocal style would make sense (see: the entire roster of The Artisan Era) but most of the time, bands use that vocal style because it's what makes the most sense. 

1 hour ago, Starless said:

When people say stuff like this, what I always wonder is, what kind of vocals do you imagine that kind of music having for it to be something you enjoy? There are definitely instances where a different vocal style would make sense (see: the entire roster of The Artisan Era) but most of the time, bands use that vocal style because it's what makes the most sense. 

Bands like All That Remains is right in my sweet spot. Phil does some of the deep throated growling stuff but then bam hits you with a killer singing hook. I love love love heavy heavy instrumentals but I don't necessarily think it has to be accompanied by growling/gurgling vocals. I mean I get it you're pissed off at the world, but can't it be expressed in some form of comprehensive vocalization? 

3 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Bands like All That Remains is right in my sweet spot. Phil does some of the deep throated growling stuff but then bam hits you with a killer singing hook. I love love love heavy heavy instrumentals but I don't necessarily think it has to be accompanied by growling/gurgling vocals. I mean I get it you're pissed off at the world, but can't it be expressed in some form of comprehensive vocalization? 

okay, even accepting that premise (I don't, but let's say I do just to move this along), what about bands that play dissonant or atonal melodies as one of the key aspects of their music? Let's say something like early Deicide or Immolation. What then?

Edited by Starless

2 minutes ago, Starless said:

okay, even accepting that premise (I don't, but let's say I do just to move this along), what about bands that play dissonant or atonal melodies as one of the key aspects of their music? Let's say something like early Deicide or Immolation. What then?

I uhh simply don't listen to them? 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

meh.

Saw them live like half a dozen times in my late teens/early 20s because they opened virtually every all-ages metal show in New England. 

It was unpleasant.

Also, the vocalist is a giant idiot. 

6 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

What do you think of these guys: