What Song Are You Listening To?

D82

7 hours ago, Malfatron said:
7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Theory:

If you're trying out a new band, always start with their most recent album.

If you don't like where they're at, you won't like where they came from.

Prove me wrong. 

Metallica

Guns N' Roses

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Metallica

Joke’s on you, I like their last three more than their first two. Also, you’re less likely to like Kill ‘Em All if you don’t like Hardwired to Self-Destruct.

This of course does not account for strict genre fans. Say what you want about HTSD, but it was A-plus production while Kill ‘Em All sounds like it was made in a garage with a tape recorder.

@Deadpulse, same on Chinese Democracy.

I grew up with GnR, so both of you can claim that their (Metallica, GnR) earlier stuff was better than their later stuff and I wouldn’t argue.

That’s not what I’m saying though.

I am talking specifically about discovering new music. 

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Theory:

If you're trying out a new band, always start with their most recent album.

If you don't like where they're at, you won't like where they came from.

Prove me wrong. 

This is the most wrong anyone has been on this forum about anything. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Joke’s on you, I like their last three more than their first two. Also, you’re less likely to like Kill ‘Em All if you don’t like Hardwired to Self-Destruct.

This of course does not account for strict genre fans. Say what you want about HTSD, but it was A-plus production while Kill ‘Em All sounds like it was made in a garage with a tape recorder.

@Deadpulse, same on Chinese Democracy.

I grew up with GnR, so both of you can claim that their (Metallica, GnR) earlier stuff was better than their later stuff and I wouldn’t argue.

That’s not what I’m saying though.

I am talking specifically about discovering new music. 

I think I get it, but Chinese Democracy, if the first music I heard from GNR, would make me never listen to them again (if that were possible lol). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Wait... you like St. Anger more then Kill Em All and Ride the Lightning? 😳

I like Hardwired to Self Destruct and Death Magnetic alot...but St. Anger was a garbage heap... that snare drum is awful..

I admit that I think that music that was produced and released after the orginal band broke up has produced (for me) more entertaining music. I like Wings far more than I like the Beatles. I'll take John Lennon, Ringo Star, and George Harrison's solo stuff over the Beatles too. 

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Wait... you like St. Anger more then Kill Em All and Ride the Lightning? 😳

I like Hardwired to Self Destruct and Death Magnetic alot...but St. Anger was a garbage heap... that snare drum is awful..

No. St. Anger doesn’t exist.

They just released a single called Frantic and the rest doesn’t exist.

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

How about Pink Floyd? Their oldest albums sound like the Beatles.. like completely two different bands between The Division Bell and The Piper at the Gates

Exactly. I tried Pink Floyd from first to last and couldn’t make it past their first three songs. Then I started in reverse and I am a Pink Floyd fan for like three albums.

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Exactly. I tried Pink Floyd from first to last and couldn’t make it past their first three songs. Then I started in reverse and I am a Pink Floyd fan for like three albums.

But that's not the same idea as what you initially posited.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I don’t know what I am saying at all.

clearly

Anyway, artists that do significantly change style over time tend to do so in the direction of some combination of mellower and/or more streamlined.

But not always. I'm sure anyone reading this can think of plenty of examples that deviate from that norm.