49ers Sign Leon Hall/Place Asa Jackson on IR

y2lamanaki

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

Isn't he mainly a slot corner as well? Or does he still play on the outside? 

I'm pretty sure he's been a slot guy since the many injuries and him getting up there in years but we'll see what he has left. Even in his "prime" he never struck me as a great CB but we don't have many options left at this point. 

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

I'm pretty sure he's been a slot guy since the many injuries and him getting up there in years but we'll see what he has left. Even in his "prime" he never struck me as a great CB but we don't have many options left at this point. 

True...it's just funny that we sign a slot guy when the one cornerback I'm not worried about is our slot guy lol. 

56 minutes ago, Forge said:

We should give Revis a call, he's still out there xD

I'm actually a little surprised we didn't just bring Reaser back, given the familiarity 

I know you're joking but the options that are left for us honestly make me depressed. I'm not expecting us to find a stud at this point in the season or the fact we don't even need one to be a star right away because we aren't playing for anything this season but mainly because who ever comes in and plays for us probably has a good chance at being our second best CB on the team instantly, and with good, consistent play could battle for our CB 1 roll.

48 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Surely there had to been a younger, more athletic option on the market with some upside maybe? Never been too impressed with Hall personally...

Keith Reaser lol. Or Justin Gilbert? lol. Seriously, there would have been a couple that I'd be intrigued just a little bit by, but let's be honest, if you're in your mid 20's and a cornerback and aren't on a team right now, you're likely very bad. Ron Brooks? Antwon Blake is awful. Quite a few people we have had ties to in the past (Reaser, Chris Davis, Will Davis, Darryl Morris, Jacorey Shepherd,). I mean, maybe someone like BW Webb or Dwayne Gratz? But again, these guys are in their mid 20's and nobody has wanted them, and people are always looking for corners. 

There was a time when Hall was a very good corner...but I think that was like 2010 or something. That being said, in fairness, I think he was actually pretty decent as recently last year (or maybe it was the year before...I can't remember. 

10 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Surely there had to been a younger, more athletic option on the market with some upside maybe? Never been too impressed with Hall personally...

Never been too impressed? Dude was at one point without question one of the best in the league. Even last year he wasn't bad for the Giants.

But going younger is something I'm fine with. There are certain moves being made like releasing Jerome which makes little sense to me.

I like this signing, sure he's a little older but at 32 thats not too old. there are quite a few guys in their early-mid 30's still playing at a high level. Adam Jones (34) Brandon Carr (31) Brent Grimes (34)Johnathan Joseph (33) Rogers-Cromartie (31) Tramon Williams (34) Terence Newman (39!!). 

I dont expect much but some I always remembered Leon Hall for being quite the ballhawk with the Bengals so that type of guy is more than welcome here. Especially with such a young DB group/DC/DB coach.

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Never been too impressed? Dude was at one point without question one of the best in the league. Even last year he wasn't bad for the Giants.

But going younger is something I'm fine with. There are certain moves being made like releasing Jerome which makes little sense to me.

Meh, Jerome hasn't looked great when given snaps in the regular season. They decided to go with a relatively young guy they liked from another squad, with experience. Dont see anything wrong with that. Nothing Jerome put on tape makes me think he'll get claimed. And Im sure they'll stick him on the PS if he indeed does clear waivers and they feel he still just needs more development. I dont see anything wrong with move.

As far as Hall, I thought he was above average in his prime but I never considered him elite or anything that wasn't replaceable. 

2 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I like this signing, sure he's a little older but at 32 thats not too old. there are quite a few guys in their early-mid 30's still playing at a high level. Adam Jones (34) Brandon Carr (31) Brent Grimes (34)Johnathan Joseph (33) Rogers-Cromartie (31) Tramon Williams (34) Terence Newman (39!!). 

I dont expect much but some I always remembered Leon Hall for being quite the ballhawk with the Bengals so that type of guy is more than welcome here. Especially with such a young DB group/DC/DB coach.

I'm actually on the bandwagon to sign Grimes next year on a short term deal. I want some competition at corner next year. I am not counting on Witherspoon and Robinson to be good corners at this point - I want to make them earn their time on the field. 

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm actually on the bandwagon to sign Grimes next year on a short term deal. I want some competition at corner next year. I am not counting on Witherspoon and Robinson to be good corners at this point - I want to make them earn their time on the field. 

After seeing us go the last 2 years pinching pennies, I'm all for us spending as much $$$ as we can. I wanna see some Mayweather type spending this free agency, only less on strippers and legal fees more on QB's, Pass Rushers, and DB's

Archived